What's new

MKXL (or any fighting game) on Linux?

Hi, all.

I've been a Windows user all my life and I want to switch to Linux (Mint or Ubuntu) as my main OS for home use. I like the idea of a free and stable OS that's not that full of bloatware like Windows. Plus on my observation Linux is pretty light on computer resources (I used to use Linux when I worked on servers back when I did mainframe stuff in my former job)

Is it possible to play MKX or any Windows-available fighting game with Linux? Primarily I play MKXL, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter V. For other games I emulate them.

My current PC specs are:
- AMD FX-8350
- ASUS R9 280x 3gb
- MS 970 Gaming
- 8GB of RAM

It's a 3-year old system and I don't want to upgrade it just to use Windows 10, and Windows is EXPENSIVE.

So... Fighting on Linux, is it possible? Thanks! :)

@Tony at Home is our resident Linux expert.

I don't know of any fighting games that are available on Linux. NRS games are barely available on windows as is.
Thanks! Basically only Skullgirls are on Linux

But what I was looking for is if I could play the Windows games I have on Linux via PlayOnLinux/Wine with the same performance I have on Windows 7 or 10. :)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Thanks! Basically only Skullgirls are on Linux

But what I was looking for is if I could play the Windows games I have on Linux via PlayOnLinux/Wine with the same performance I have on Windows 7 or 10. :)
I don't know about PlayOnLinux, but I really really really doubt Wine will run the games anywhere near playable, seeing how the optimization of MKXL and Inj2 games is done.

You can maaaaybe run MK9 on Wine with a decent performance, but I doubt it.

In any case I don't think 8 GB of RAM is enough to run the games on Wine. I'm not an expert but I imagine you'd need to give like 6 GB to Wine which leaves you a bit tight.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm wondering if you could run Steam through Wine. Never tried it.
Yeah you can, or could. (I've fallen behind on the Wine/POL stuff). It sees every wine install as a new Steam install and requires activation. You can end up having to do it a bunch of times trying to get something going. It was also a bit flaky and updates could ruin stuff. It certainly doesn't make things easier to do.

Performance is always interesting when it comes to Wine. If everything lines up it can deliver on par performance, but often that's not how it works out. The overhead isn't the same as emulating a console. A lot of "Linux native" games were/are actual wine wrapped games getting fairly equivalent performance.

Fighters are definitely more plentiful on PC now, and I wish I knew what works. I used to know a lot of what did, but the truth is with Wine little actually does work. My personal take was it was something super cool that never managed to mature at the rate it needed to. WineHQ results were always dated to the point of being worthless, and Wine was looking frozen in DX9 (last I knew) meaning the games we are getting now are using stuff it wasn't even equipped to handle correctly. Maybe that's better, but then X-Input controllers were worthless for years even though they worked on Linux native, and nobody seemed interested in even talking about it. For all I know that is still broken which would be a problem if you have a pad on PC.

I just gave up on it when more Linux natives started coming out. It felt more like it was being used as a poorly working crutch for not making real natives instead of preserving historical windows programs

I'm a little curious about the state of things now.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Very interesting
The first thing you ever see digging into Wine is "Wine Is Not an Emulator." I think claims to be a compatibility layer that translates Windows calls into an alternative, native equivalent.

Side note. I did go poking around the recent Wine updates. I guess DX10 and 11 and some Vulkan support have been getting added this year. Almost makes me interested in fiddling with it again.

All the Fighting games worth playing don't have recent entries and all look to be trash tier as their working state in Wine. Results are very old. I think someone would be lucky to find many fighters that work.

As one exception, It does look like people are having some good luck with Tekken 7 working well and without much to any setup. That's pretty cool.

Anybody here who tried the new Steam Proton API for Mortal Kombat X, MK9, Inj 1 and 2, and other fighting games on Linux? It seems interesting!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Proton is looking SSSSCHAAA-RONK right now... :)

Bear in mind, though, this dude's specs are high-end. No word on how something like an R3/i3 w/ 1050ti or 1060 would be.

i would recommend you to use one ssd for linux for internet and such and a second ssd with windows for gaming only.
Good point. I do have four 500gb hard drives here from my previous PCs and I'm gonna try that. However isn't dual-booting dangerous?

Proton is looking SSSSCHAAA-RONK right now... :)

Bear in mind, though, this dude's specs are high-end. No word on how something like an R3/i3 w/ 1050ti or 1060 would be.
It does. I might test gaming on a Linux laptop first before I meddle with my current PC