What's new

Video MKXL / Injustice Twitter Poll - The Evo 2017 Rant by Mitsuownes

Mitsuownes

Grandmaster of the Shirai-Ryu
Everyone who is appalled by the latest twitter poll by MrWiz (link here) should check out this rant video by @Mitsuownes as I believe he hits the nail on the head. Keep in mind, I believe the anger should not be going towards the EVO staff for polling this question, rather to us. You'll know very well enough on "why" when viewing this video.

Hey all,

Peace!

edited/promoted by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Few things:

Evo 2015 to 2016 had a dramatic 40% drop off

Did you know game companies are told "we would like to have your game at evo" then to get the game on asked for a donation? I've heard this "donation" is up to $25,000 per game. So for both games it would theoretically cost $50,000 and then if u wanna add a pot bonus another $50,000 or $100,000 for a game w a 40% drop off.

I think every player rightfully so complained about day 1 versions of Tanya/alien/Quan and a few others.

Evo has to have adaquete staff (about 10-20 people) per game, adaquete space, adaquete time and three new fighting games minimally are expected to be brand new additions to evo which already is having a nightmare scheduling for a 3 day event.

You brought up "we want Espn broadcast too" that's not going to ever happen because of community love nor did this happen due to capcom love. This happened because evo and capcom fronted the bill and wb has shown they will and can do this as well. Also CW > ESPN2 because basic cable packages are on CW where as most have to pay for ESPN2 and the demographic that watches ESPN2 isn't looking for fighting games.

Also on the Kombat podcast they most likely meant "if we see something complete broke we will patch it" to patch a game costs the company thousands of dollars just to submit the patch. 5 million + bought the game but honestly 500-800 care about balance. The % of players that compete is less than 1% where as the casual makes up for 99%

I love that u had the krypt as background

Fun video nonetheless

Last edited:

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Few things:

Evo 2015 to 2016 had a dramatic 70% drop off

Did you know game companies are told "we would like to have your game at evo" then to get the game on asked for a donation? I've heard this "donation" is up to $25,000 per game. So for both games it would theoretically cost $50,000 and then if u wanna add a pot bonus another $50,000 or $100,000 for a game w a 70% drop off.

I think every player rightfully so complained about day 1 versions of Tanya/alien/Quan and a few others.

Evo has to have adaquete staff (about 10-20 people) per game, adaquete space, adaquete time and three new fighting games minimally are expected to be brand new additions to evo which already is having a nightmare scheduling for a 3 day event.

You brought up "we want Espn broadcast too" that's not going to ever happen because of community love nor did this happen due to capcom love. This happened because evo and capcom fronted the bill and wb has shown they will and can do this as well. Also CW > ESPN2 because basic cable packages are on CW where as most have to pay for ESPN2 and the demographic that watches ESPN2 isn't looking for fighting games.

Also on the Kombat podcast they most likely meant "if we see something complete broke we will patch it" to patch a game costs the company thousands of dollars just to submit the patch. 5 million + bought the game but honestly 500-800 care about balance. The % of players that compete is less than 1% where as the casual makes up for 99%

Fun video nonetheless
When you say "70% drop off" you mean that the number dropped to 70% rather than by 70%, right?

Whitefox

Noob
Yes, in comparison to the Marvel community, we are the biggest crybabies in the fgc. Their game is super broken, and yet they seem to appreciate the game more than we do with our game,which is the most balanced NRS game to date..
I don't think the issue is of the game being broken. Mk9 was super broken, but at its core it was hella fun. Look at melee or marvel. Super broken games but a lot of fun to play, and they feel good to play when you do well or do a great combo chain. Take mkx and injustice, you correctly guess low and open up your opponent for 1/3 his life. That's not fun to deal with nor is it fun to do against someone. Games that last have character variety, games that don't lack uniqueness. Mk9 has zoners, pressure characters, vortexers, you name it. Mkx has...well... universal 50/50s and a run button

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No I mean a 70% drop off

Like example 1000 to 300

That's an example. I know the drop off was steep. I remember 70% could have been 65%
It def. wasn't 70%. As a matter of fact it was less than the % drop off we've had in the past. Just no one at the time wanted to do the actual math to correct their assumptions

Injustice went from 582 to 311 (a 47% drop) and that's actually the biggest % drop we've had. This year was an improvement.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm not. But it is the same as MK9 which got a third year.
At the time mk9 was coming off a full season in 2012 w 5 MLG events and one 1 MLG online event all the way up to jan where they announced both titles would be there. In march the #s at majors drastically decreased and mk9 had 300 participants at its final evo w djt winning .75 cents. Jk but it was criminal the payout

Mk9 at the time felt healthier and more supportive by the community than mkx currently but that's my opinion. For me doesn't matter if it's there or not but I'm just saying I can understand why it probably won't

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Fixed

Taking ur word for it

Still let's not act like 40% is good
It's 8% better than Injustice, lol

And the reason for this is that most people who play these games year one aren't actually in our community. Then they all make their excuses and leave behind the real NRS community (which is fine, as these are mostly the people who will place anyway -- not Joe Street Fighter player who will go 0-2 in pools year one and then never support the game a day in his life).

Imo it's cool that these people show up for the first EVO, but we can't pretend they ever really intended to be around for the long haul.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I'm not. But it is the same as MK9 which got a third year.
MK9 only got a third year because they were unsure of Injustice but still needed to throw the NRS community a bone.

Later Injustice got moneyhatted in and we got 2 NRS games because they couldn't just remove MK9 after announcing it.

shura30

Shura
the situation we're facing right now is the fact that we might have the best version of the game close to the end of its life cycle

mkx(l) it'll be done once it'll be clear that the figures that train the community will jump ship because that's where the interest and money pots will be

we couldn't need to alternate franchises every 2 years IF the company we chose to support stops forcing on us this life cycle

it's not about the community, it's not about the salty players on twitter it's not about the need of fresh air

if mkx dies it's because NRS will stop supporting it with patches, prize pots (self substained with skins or not), additional events like the damm ESL that brought so much hype across all the world and it's doing wonders with free tournament every week

other games stayed for years because there was not any 'new game' for the same playerbase

marvel and street fighter are separated while still under the capcom brand
we're not

evo is a big stage for a game and we wasted the chance bringing (at least the second time) the most broken, boring, unhype to watch version of the game even knowing the whole event was already a capcom fest and no one was going to give 2 f*cks about

if they take something from sf4 with all its revisions since vanilla mkx will not die
if they let it it'll be such a waste after the amazing 2 years we had

AeWhole

Noob
Few things:

Evo 2015 to 2016 had a dramatic 40% drop off

Did you know game companies are told "we would like to have your game at evo" then to get the game on asked for a donation? I've heard this "donation" is up to $25,000 per game. So for both games it would theoretically cost $50,000 and then if u wanna add a pot bonus another $50,000 or $100,000 for a game w a 40% drop off.

Fun video nonetheless
Always the adult in the room. Your posts are always thoughtful.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
if mkx dies it's because NRS will stop supporting it with patches, prize pots (self substained with skins or not), additional events like the damm ESL that brought so much hype across all the world and it's doing wonders with free tournament every week

other games stayed for years because there was not any 'new game' for the same playerbase
Like Smash Bros, right? All those patches and pot bonuses, and no new releases.

We need to stop using this excuse as it's a bad one and not true at all. If people really loved the games, they wouldn't need NRS to throw money out the door for them to get 70 people at a tournament to play them.

The truth is that people aren't as attached to these games as they later claim to be, and when something new comes along they are secretly happy and jump ship. You can't blame NRS for not blowing wads of cash to Weekend-at-Bernie's-style prop up a flatlining community that doesn't have the true desire to support itself.

Name one popular game that people still played because the last iteration of it was super balanced. It's always due to love of the franchise, not developer support.

And to be honest, Injustice and MKX aren't nearly as far apart as SF and Marvel. We're talking a cartoon 3on3 fighter with triple jumps, assists/tag-ins, giant robots, missles, and a 5-level meter for auto combos vs. what is essentially SF2 2016 edition. Injustice *is* the next game in the MK-engine lineage and it's natural that most of the people who play both see it that way.

Last edited:

shura30

Shura
Like Smash Bros, right? All those patches and pot bonuses, and no new releases.
again, they're smashers we're not
apples and oranges where it can be applied

We need to stop using this excuse as it's a terrible one and not true at all. If people really loved the games, they wouldn't need NRS to throw money out the door for them to get 70 people at a tournament to play them.
The truth is that people aren't as attached to these games as they later claim to be, and when something new comes along they are secretly happy and jump ship.
You can't blame NRS for not blowing wads of cash to Weekend-at-Bernie's-style prop up a dead community that doesn't have the gumption or desire to support itself.
you missed my point

I'm not blaming NRS for not putting money at my basement's local for a 10 year old game

I'm blaming them for using money as bait to bring the few thousands idiots from game to game or to stack up entrants at a major

Name one popular game that people still played because the last iteration of it was super balanced. It's always due to love of the franchise, not developer support.
do you really want to compare 2X or third strike or kof98 and 2002 balance with alien, tanya and the like?

developer support is needed because we live in a different era where the games are nowhere close to be finished upon release
there's no franchise that doesn't need patching right after launch
and I believe, despite the useless rants, we made pretty good points over time on why we needed faster patching and where to adjust

And to be frank, Injustice and MKX aren't nearly as far apart as SF and Marvel. We're talking a cartoon 3on3 fighter with triple jumps, assists and a 5-level meter for auto combos vs. what is essentially SF2 2015 edition. Injustice *is* the next game in the MK-engine lineage and it's natural that most of the people who play both see it that way.
exactly my point if you re-read my post
NRS community is different than capcom's that is bigger thus allows for two or more big franchises to have their own respective and somewhat separated playerbases

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
do you really want to compare 2X or third strike or kof98 and 2002 balance with alien, tanya and the like?
Lol yeah, Alien and Tanya, really cleaning up these majors right now. Shame NRS left them untouched :cool:

The truth is that MKX is as balanced now as any popular legacy fighting game. And yes, it is far more balanced than SF2. Third Strike was extremely divisive and many current Capcom players don't have any loyalty to it whatsoever. You'll see legacy Turbo or Marvel 2 hype on Eventhubs long before you see a widely-promoted 3S reunion (and both of those games are horribly unbalanced).

So yes, it really comes down to whether people really love the game or not. MKX is in a state now that's plenty playable if people were truly attached to the game.

Last edited:

MK_Al

Noob
Well, I don't quite agree. EVO will probably never have two NRS games at the same time because, why would they, if both games have (almost) the same players and viewers. So imo this has nothing to do with the reputation of the game.
Also let's not confuse who's the client here. Don't get me wrong, I verry much appreciate the effort NRS is puting into the patches and into their games, but it's them who need to sell the product to us. Some peoples upset was to be expected the second NRS decided to put coinflips into their game.

Last edited:
LBSH,

This community revives itself when the next game comes out, then dies slowly over the course of the games' life. Not just casuals, either. We've seen multiple people drop the game and come back, and some just drop the game.

Just to name a few:
Noble Jupiter
cR Honeybee
Tom Brady
PL
Pig

People have their reasons for not continuing, and everyone has their life to live. That's not my point here. My point is we have things like Twitter/Twitch at our disposal now more so than ever before and the words we say is what resonates to our audience.

Some people 'follow' because they're a fan
Some people 'follow' so they can keep up on news
And some people 'follow' to troll

Regardless of why they do, we have a job to do for OUR game and to ensure we continue to make it seem like its the best thing in the genre. This is where everything falls apart. Our community SUCKS at this.

I see it far too often that fans get ignored when asking for help/games/have a question of any sort. Sometimes they'll be graced with a 'like' and never actually receive an answer of response and hell, throwing them the 'like' only makes them feel even more ignored because they know you saw and read the message.

Our community would sometimes rather whine and cry about things that were completely avoidable in game and blame their loss on broke/dumb/busted whatever than to just give props to the opponent, slightly mention what caused the loss (lag being a huge one), and go about their day.

On the flipside, all of you who lose 30 games out of 31 and upload that one match and pop off... You're the problem too because we aren't going to play randoms who even we have a slight suspicion of. Top players, just like competitive players, want to run casuals but the attention seeking can lose you everything...

Cheers.

TLDR: it probably won't do much anyway in the grand scheme of adolescents.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Something that not a lot of people are bringing up but I feel is important is that I2 will be the first experiment with a legacy game, a game that has some new upgrades on a system that essentially we've already seen. That is something a bit new to this community; MK9, IGAU, and MKX are all so drastically different in how they play that we don't get tourney players like, say, SF2 player from the arcades in Burbank in 94 coming back and playing SFV because at its heart it's a 2D based fighter with limited mobility, just like the old games. The belief that they could do well in a game because they played the old one is something we have always missed out on when it comes to pot monsters and the usual early game trout (Not to say that we don't have that even though the games vary wildly, but it's very insular).

Early game propaganda of telling people so often that a game requires no skill to win and is literally random does so much more to hurt the common conception of the game from outsiders then it does the people who actually just play. It did for MK9 and IGAU, and it certainly will for MKX. The people who play know it's not random and don't care and just keep winning, while everyone else who are just mediocre and at that level where they look for the easy excuse kind of just piggyback and say "Well, if [insert reputable name] said it, by damn it must be true!" It's nonsense, and this is the vocal minority.

I think the community should do a better job of calling out this behavior and just tell it like it is, because, frankly, I get tired of going on sites like SRK and other competitive sites, and see responses like "Well, I mean, the games aren't very good, most people aren't at players like PL and Tom Brady's level," which is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say. The community can't keep letting people who have no business acting as authorities on the game warp the perception of our community and its title, because that does long term damage that they might not realize.

Case in point: GG Xrd had two DLC characters that were incredibly strong, and nobody actually cared because the community wouldn't stand for jackasses who don't actively play at a high level trying to bring the game down because of it. Here? I don't even have to say because you know the answer.