What's new

Discussion MKXL Full Patch Notes plus Kombat Kast Recap by @MK_REO

There has been a slight nerf to Cryo and to Unbreakable to compensate for the new changes. However, they fixed the known issues for Sub Zero, who couldn't connect the D2 to the back of the frozen females and the B2 to Mileena's frozen YOLO roll.
Does Subs klone freeze D'v's d4 now like it does with Aliens tail?. Still busy with work to look at the patch at home.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Does Subs klone freeze D'v's d4 now like it does with Aliens tail?. Still busy with work to look at the patch at home.
Nope. :/

Either D'Vorah has hurtbox issues or Ice Klone has hitbox issues with certain characters.

So it looks like armored launchers are pretty much not a thing anymore. It's either the launcher doesn't have armor, or the move keeps it's armor but doesn't launch anymore.

How much thought was put into which moves got what? Something THAT game changing should be given more consideration than it got.

Think about what that does to OKI. A change like this requires non metered / regular reversals to have some invincible startup frames.

It was already a problem that some rush down characters could completely disrespect your reversal options because they either already stuffed them or had multiple hit mixups that would just negate your armor anyway.

On top of that, there were moves specifically used for countering ex wakeups... two quick hits into HKD.

If the ex launchers that were used as wakeups before can just get stuffed by anything now because they don't have armor, OR they can't combo, where is the risk for just running up to someone after a HKD? What utility do the moves designed to counter armored reversals have now? The person on the ground literally has no viable options left anymore.

After a HKD, what's going to happen is that the person who got knocked down is 100% forced to defend a follow up string. The only option is to either attempt a wakeup that will get stuffed by anything AND cost you a meter, OR use a meter bar to attempt a reversal that yields no follow up for you AND is punishable? Under no circumstance are either of these options a good one. Blocking is always the best choice now.

If regular reversals were given invincible startups, disregard. If they were not, this game sucks really fucking hard now.

I haven't been around here a lot recently, so I guess I can't say for sure... But with all the bitching people did about 50/50s before, I can't even imagine that even a single person is in favor of taking away all viable reversal options.

There are going to be characters / matchups that are SO bad that one character won't even be able to get up. A lot.

Last edited:

Tanno

Most people hated the game at its past state, now they want it to go back to its past state. :rolleyes:
This is their result of asking for nerfs and buffs, therefore it's better for them to shut up and let the logical minds to fix everything.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
This is their result of asking for nerfs and buffs, therefore it's better for them to shut up and let the logical minds to fix everything.
Actually this is the cause for all the people asking for nerfs to A-list and pressure characters.

Those asking for GM to be nerfed into the ground had it right, not their fault.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So it looks like armored launchers are pretty much not a thing anymore. It's either the launcher doesn't have armor, or the move keeps it's armor but doesn't launch anymore.

How much thought was put into which moves got what? Something THAT game changing should be given more consideration than it got.

Think about what that does to OKI. A change like this requires non metered / regular reversals to have some invincible startup frames.

It was already a problem that some rush down characters could completely disrespect your reversal options because they either already stuffed them or had multiple hit mixups that would just negate your armor anyway.

On top of that, there were moves specifically used for countering ex wakeups... two quick hits into HKD.

If the ex launchers that were used as wakeups before can just get stuffed by anything now because they don't have armor, OR they can't combo, where is the risk for just running up to someone after a HKD? What utility do the moves designed to counter armored reversals have now? The person on the ground literally has no viable options left anymore.

After a HKD, what's going to happen is that the person who got knocked down is 100% forced to defend a follow up string. The only option is to either attempt a wakeup that will get stuffed by anything AND cost you a meter, OR use a meter bar to attempt a reversal that yields no follow up for you AND is punishable? Under no circumstance are either of these options a good one. Blocking is always the best choice now.

If regular reversals were given invincible startups, disregard. If they were not, this game sucks really fucking hard now.

I haven't been around here a lot recently, so I guess I can't say for sure... But with all the bitching people did about 50/50s before, I can't even imagine that even a single person is in favor of taking away all viable reversal options.

Why is anyone ok with that?
Armored launchers are a thing of the past because offense as a whole is nowhere near as insane as before the patch. There's less risk to play offensively, but there's more options to deal with the offense, and it's not as oppressive.

Looking at the change and everything as a whole, it makes sense. There's only a few characters that get scrapped up by things like armor breaks and HTB setups. Meanwhile run cancels are extremely weakened, very few things are in double digits, or even as high as +7. So many things have shifted.

THTB

Actually this is the cause for all the people asking for nerfs to A-list and pressure characters.

Those asking for GM to be nerfed into the ground had it right, not their fault.
Even though he's not nerfed to the ground... >_>

Tanno

If we asked for fixes for our own characters, this wouldn't happen. I wouldn't mind asking for fixes for everyone. I don't like the nerfs and buffs, because this unbalances the game itself. I only wish that the game comes in the logical way for all the characters based on the human power (except of selected few demons and gods) and their powers. Because of the nerfs/buffs madness, this game made a huge shifting to the top tier characters. I like to play fair towards the rest. This is my own way of fight.

Armored launchers are a thing of the past because offense as a whole is nowhere near as insane as before the patch. There's less risk to play offensively, but there's more options to deal with the offense, and it's not as oppressive.

Looking at the change and everything as a whole, it makes sense. There's only a few characters that get scrapped up by things like armor breaks and HTB setups. Meanwhile run cancels are extremely weakened, very few things are in double digits, or even as high as +7. So many things have shifted.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say there are more options to deal with offense. My whole point is that there are significantly leess because the threat of armored reversals are trivialized across the board. If you get HKD'd by a character like sonya, there's a good chance you cannot ever get up because you don't have any reversals that won't get stuffed anymore. how does this mean you've got more options?

what examples of more options to deal with offense exist? Seriously asking. haven't played this game in months.

This change removes the idea of getting blown up for over committing.

Last edited:

THTB

I'm not sure what you mean when you say there are more options to deal with offense. My whole point is that there are significantly leess because the threat of armored reversals are trivialized across the board.

what examples of more options to deal with offense exist? Seriously asking. haven't played this game in months.
A bunch of characters have Goro armor now lol. Armor breaking is nearly impossible due to that alone. And + frames across the board are very far down. You don't get all the same heavy advantage situations you used to. Run cancels work like the cancels of like Predator and Tremor in that you lose a full bar of stamina at the minimum for a run cancel. A lot of the run cancel pressure on block also has seen lower frame advantage across the board. Offense is not as oppressive, but there's just less risk to play offense.

Can anyone help me out, ever since the Patch came out all my DLC wont load. Xbox store says ive already purchased it and it should be in my Apps and Games Collection...its not. SO i go in a circle of download and this is already purchased etc...

Tanno

Can anyone help me out, ever since the Patch came out all my DLC wont load. Xbox store says ive already purchased it and it should be in my Apps and Games Collection...its not. SO i go in a circle of download and this is already purchased etc...
Contact Microsoft on this. If they help you, then you're hugely in luck. I abandoned Microsoft, because this is the reason you're now facing. They will NEVER fix this problem. You'll have to contact NRS on this, and if they can convince Microsoft on this, then you might be in luck.

This problem you're facing is clearly Microsoft's mess.

Contact Microsoft on this. If they help you, then you're hugely in luck. I abandoned Microsoft, because this is the reason you're now facing. They will NEVER fix this problem. You'll have to contact NRS on this, and if they can convince Microsoft on this, then you might be in luck.

This problem you're facing is clearly Microsoft's mess.
This has happened from time to time since the game launched but ive always just clicked download and its all good. This time its not working, Im not paying twice.

A bunch of characters have Goro armor now lol. Armor breaking is nearly impossible due to that alone. And + frames across the board are very far down. You don't get all the same heavy advantage situations you used to. Run cancels work like the cancels of like Predator and Tremor in that you lose a full bar of stamina at the minimum for a run cancel. A lot of the run cancel pressure on block also has seen lower frame advantage across the board. Offense is not as oppressive, but there's just less risk to play offense.
I see.. So to paraphrase...

RC to gain advantage from a pressure situation (LK, JC, D'Vorah etc) won't be as strong anymore because of reduced frame advantage as well as stam consumption increase.. And a RC combo will deplete the stam bar enough as to disallow someone from just running up and getting in your face right away again, so it's not that big of a deal that armored reversals are gone..

The situations I'm imagining don't seem like they'd happen as much as I thought.

A sonya player with simplified combos without run cancels is going to be beast. lol

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
He's been good. Don't get it twisted. He not gonna win as many mu's as cutthroat did, but he's been slept on for the better part of mkx & XL.

He's ok.
I always liked Cyber Kano. I hate they took away his EX ball armor but everyone launching armor is taken. So now I have no fear..I can chuck away knives all day. If they try to run and get hit, stamina is gone. His eye laser are safe now and they are great gor easy 25× damage. His corner damage is still strong.

I dnt agree with making such drastic changes at this point in MKX's lifecycle. It kind of degrates the consumers and shows a lack of confidence in the gameplay and development.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX

So many bottom tiers are now viable due to tier whores picking armor launhing characters or most plus frame moves. Now anyone can be good and play well. I feel like we can finally see tourneys with all fighters being used.