What's new

MKXL Finals at Evo 2016 Moved to 8am PST Sunday Morning (11am EST)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Uh but Espn was not figured out a week ago

But like months ago
The day they made the announcement (July 1st) about SFV airing at 7 PM PST on ESPN2 was the day the Mr. Wizard announced they were moving Sunday's Finals start to 8 AM

I'm sure the talks started earlier, but they moved the finals as soon as they locked/announced the timeslot.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
bruh
but fighting games ARE frame data and hitboxes

I've come to the conclusion that MKX's problem is the playerbase
there's no character variety and bandwagoning/flavor of the month is an issue because everyone thinks their pocket top tier is good while ruining the fun for themselves and viewers

online, there's literally a horde of random roll mileenas and f134xxacid aliens that dumb down the game without even being decent at it
it's way worse than day1 telescorpions

as for evo, meh it's always been a capcom fest. Our top major is still ESL and we had it a month ago
I don't disagree with your first point, but whatever needs fixing is minimal and well within NRS' competences.

I don't think the playerbase is at fault in any of this, whatever is accessible should be used and if you're sponsored you're pretty much obligated to take advantage of this. Poor judgement and poor communication lead to what's available.. and you'd think with MK9 it would've been NRS' primary goal to avoid this similar "fate".

I am pretty positive, however, that IF there's a patch this will turn around and MKX is all uphill from there, the amount of f-ups has to have been the best trial-and-error learning experience. This probably sounds harsh, but you don't overhaul over 50% of characters just to have the same scenario repeated, people will catch on and move on.. I'm fine with unFINISHED characters, I'm not fine with unINTENDED offense/defense advantage and if Alien, Sonya or Mileena are 100% intended.. then we apparently can go f ourselves.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
That time slot is trash. But hey what can ya do?

I don't even see KI on Sunday so I'll be watching that if I'm not going to the beach enjoying the weather but mk should then have that Saturday spot as well.

I mean why not? If nrs was going to announce something or revel something new to mkx or I2 then the finals on Saturday would give them more then enough time. Aslo it would hype up the finals even more thus getting more views for evo.

Let Sunday be Capcom day. SFV is a major event for evo and so are the other games respectfully in there own ways. This hate for smash is stupid. It is what it is and it ain't mk so if more people like it then that's that. I don't care other wise just so long as the FGC scene is growing and gaining more mainstream attention.

That should be a point to make as well as this one.

If mkxl or I2 is to get streetfighter numbers or smash numbers well then more of us have to get out there. Period. We have to try and compeate, support the game and our scenes & spread the hype 10 fold. That's it. I put MYSELF in this case as well.

It's a very ridiculous time slot regardless. Next year maybe it'll be different but if not at least we'll still have esl.

That should/could be our EVO.

Noob
Overwatch would get a shit ton of entrants if they held it at EVO, as well. The number of entrants doesn't justify it being at EVO alongside true fighters.

I'm well aware that I sound irrational, but I despise the game and will never consider it a fighter. I'd rather watch Divekick than Smash. I'd rather watch my parents fuck than Smash. I'd rather watch anything than Smash.

I understand why it was added to the lineup, though. I just don't want to see it. It takes up what seems like 9 hours on Sunday, as well.
MKX isn't a true fighter, it's just a guessing game. Remove it from evo please as it's not a true fighter

/s

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The day they made the announcement (July 1st) about SFV airing at 7 PM PST on ESPN2 was the day the Mr. Wizard announced they were moving Sunday's Finals start to 8 AM

I'm sure the talks started earlier, but they moved the finals as soon as they locked/announced the timeslot.
Yea and I'm telling you that was a play they knew was coming day 1

Reactions: GAV

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Forgive my ignorance since I've never attended any major tournaments.

By what time on Saturday will Top 8 be determined?

I understand that 730 in the morning is early but has nobody here had an appointment or somewhere to be early in the morning with advanced notice.

If this news was announced on the Saturday night prior to Finals day I could understand the fuss but it's not the case.

Are people not responsible enough to get enough rest the night prior and set an alarm so they can be where they need to be the following morning?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Forgive my ignorance since I've never attended any major tournaments.

By what time on Saturday will Top 8 be determined?

I understand that 730 in the morning is early but has nobody here had an appointment or somewhere to be early in the morning with advanced notice.

If this news was announced on the Saturday night prior to Finals day I could understand the fuss but it's not the case.

Are people not responsible enough to get enough rest the night prior and set an alarm so they can be where they need to be the following morning?
Well, there are a few factors that add to it:

1) It's Vegas. This event happens once a year and it's a place people specifically go to hang out and have fun with each other aside from competing.

2) This is the only time specific people from diff. regions (or countries) will get to see each other in person for several months to a year. So people are going to want to enjoy each others' company. And also play casuals and visit each others' hotel rooms once bracket night is done. Memorable stuff will happen after the tournament that you wouldn't be able to experience anywhere else.

3) Going from pools all the way through Top whatever -> 8 can be a long day in itself. So this is just as much about fans and spectators as the players. The players will be there, but it's going to be a long Saturday night for most of the people in Vegas watching the tournament as well.

It's not the end of the world, but I don't think just saying "why don't the players set alarm clocks" really sums up people's feelings about it.

(Also, remember that this venue is at the other end of the Vegas strip -- not by the hotel. So waking up at 7:30 is probably not a responsible decision for someone that expects to be showered, warmed up for their matches, have travel time to the venue, and ready to play for the biggest event of their lives at 8:00 sharp).

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

1) It's Vegas. This event happens once a year and it's a place people specifically go to hang out and have fun with each other aside from competing.

2) This is the only time specific people from diff. regions (or countries) will get to see each other in person for several months to a year. So people are going to want to enjoy each others' company. And also play casuals and visit each others' hotel rooms once bracket night is done. Memorable stuff will happen after the tournament that you wouldn't be able to experience anywhere else.

3) Going from pools all the way through Top whatever -> 8 can be a long day in itself. So this is just as much about fans and spectators as the players. The players will be there, but it's going to be a long Saturday night for most of the people in Vegas watching the tournament as well.

It's not the end of the world, but I don't think just saying "why don't the players set alarm clocks" really sums up people's feelings about it either.

(Also, remember that this venue is at the other end of the Vegas strip -- not by the hotel. So waking up at 7:30 is probably not a responsible decision for someone that expects to be showered, warmed up for their matches, have travel time to the venue, and ready to play for the biggest event of their lives at 8:00 sharp).
NRS game players are notorious night owls - even more so than any other gamer group. This is a slap in the face.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
8am is too early, Sat. Night would be better than that.

Other games deserve their spot too, maybe even moreso, so it's tough to say where MKX would fit other than possibly Marvel's spot.

Tough situation all around. Hopefully it doesn't effect performance too much.

GAV

That time slot is trash. But hey what can ya do?

I don't even see KI on Sunday so I'll be watching that if I'm not going to the beach enjoying the weather but mk should then have that Saturday spot as well.

I mean why not? If nrs was going to announce something or revel something new to mkx or I2 then the finals on Saturday would give them more then enough time. Aslo it would hype up the finals even more thus getting more views for evo.

Let Sunday be Capcom day. SFV is a major event for evo and so are the other games respectfully in there own ways. This hate for smash is stupid. It is what it is and it ain't mk so if more people like it then that's that. I don't care other wise just so long as the FGC scene is growing and gaining more mainstream attention.

That should be a point to make as well as this one.

If mkxl or I2 is to get streetfighter numbers or smash numbers well then more of us have to get out there. Period. We have to try and compeate, support the game and our scenes & spread the hype 10 fold. That's it. I put MYSELF in this case as well.

It's a very ridiculous time slot regardless. Next year maybe it'll be different but if not at least we'll still have esl.

That should/could be our EVO.
I don't hate Smash, but you can't compare it to a real fighter like MKX. I love KI, but I feel the same way about that - since it has a gimmick mini-game component to it. You wanna start comparing MKX to Divekick too? Its like comparing MMA to point fighting. Let's compare Sonic Fox's level of skill to Dr. Pee Pee's. Its like comparing chess to tic-tac-toe. We don't have to be so politically correct all the time. What's next? Bump real fighters for phone games?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I don't hate Smash, but you can't compare it to a real fighter like MKX. I love KI, but I feel the same way about that - since it has a gimmick mini-game component to it. You wanna start comparing MKX to Divekick too? Its like comparing MMA to point fighting. Let's compare Sonic Fox's level of skill to Dr. Pee Pee's. We don't have to be so politically correct all the time. What's next? Bump real fighters for phone games?
Leave KI out of this, that game is the best designed fighter out right now. If you think the breaking system is no more than a mini game you are dead wrong

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Wow the Smash salt is real in this thread...

This is a very early start though which isn't ideal as people are obviously going to want to enjoy their props for a while first.

I'm happy MKX is on the big stage though and the if the early start means we're less likely to have the front rows fill up with "hurrrr, why he not do a fataliteee bruuuuh" people then that's fine by me. More room for people who actually want to watch the game.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Depressing. Its even more depressing when you realize that UMVC gets more respect, even though its super broken.Oh well, at least the spectators will be spared the inevitable Alien Vs. Mileena borefest. And we all know one of the Foxes will win anyways, but I do have some hope, Scar, be our hero man...

Wetdoba

All too easy...
What would you call it then?

The combo system is super-simple too. Normal, Special, Normal, Special, Manual into Ender.

The game is good, but it can't be compared to MKX. Its a few steps up from Divekick and no where near MKX's class.
Mind games? Playing your opponent? Character knowledge and reactions? Baits? Its clear youve put less than 5 minutes into that game, maybe none at all, ill pass on this one.

Lol at MKX being classy tho, thats a good one

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Although I'm generally all for letting people express their opinions, I'm going to clean up the mindless Smash Bros. hate here, because

1) It's not at all what this thread is about and it's going to derail it
2) It makes the entire community look bad, and
3) Regardless of what you think, the game was decided to be in the event months ago, and the ordering was done by entrants which is fair.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I don't hate Smash, but you can't compare it to a real fighter like MKX. I love KI, but I feel the same way about that - since it has a gimmick mini-game component to it. You wanna start comparing MKX to Divekick too? Its like comparing MMA to point fighting. Let's compare Sonic Fox's level of skill to Dr. Pee Pee's. Its like comparing chess to tic-tac-toe. We don't have to be so politically correct all the time. What's next? Bump real fighters for phone games?
You clearly don't understand smash (melee at least) at a competitive level. Dive kick is regarded as a weaker competitive game because there are fewer options / degrees of freedom, less things to learn, and more guessing.

Melee has significantly more options, more things to learn, and less guessing than MKX. You can see it in how consistent the results of melee tournaments are, where the top players basically never, ever lose in pools, despite the huge entrants. The more random a game is, the more random the results would be.

As someone who has played a few fighting games at a ok level, melee is one of the hardest, if not the absolute hardest. I am betting top NRS players who have played both like @YOMI FOREVER KING and @YOMI REO would probably agree actually.

Don't shit on melee when you clearly don't understand the game.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best

It's not the end of the world, but I don't think just saying "why don't the players set alarm clocks" really sums up people's feelings about it.

Thanks for the reply.

The details you provided were unknown to me and I can now better understand the impact of such an early show time.

GAV

You clearly don't understand smash (melee at least) at a competitive level. Dive kick is regarded as a weaker competitive game because there are fewer options / degrees of freedom, less things to learn, and more guessing.

Melee has significantly more options, more things to learn, and less guessing than MKX. You can see it in how consistent the results of melee tournaments are, where the top players basically never, ever lose in pools, despite the huge entrants. The more random a game is, the more random the results would be.

As someone who has played a few fighting games at a ok level, melee is one of the hardest, if not the absolute hardest. I am betting top NRS players who have played both like @YOMI FOREVER KING and @YOMI REO would probably agree actually.

Don't shit on melee when you clearly don't understand the game.
I didn't play Smash from the beginning, but picked it up later when my brother used my apartment as a hang out to drink and play Smash with his friends. My friends thought it was a game for kids. My girlfriend thought it was a game for nerds. My apartment has two separate living rooms though, so it didn't interfere with anything - and I was happy to accomodate them. One day, no one else came over - so they let me join in and I got smashed.

My brother left the Wii at my apartment though and I learned Meta-Knight and Game & Watch. The game has no execution barriers. Its frame data, hit-boxes, timing, and boils down to a nice game of rock-paper-scizzors. Next week would be different.

Where Meta-Knight teleports is all about timing the button press. Once I learned that, I used the frame data to figure out where - and timed it out through practiced application. Then, I could teleport accurately to any one of 5 spots. Then, I played next week with them and mopped everyone. Now, these guys aren't pros - but they are guys that played Smash consistently from when they were kids - and they were grown now - and I mopped them after a week of practice.

Learning a game like Smash - and even KI - isn't nearly as difficult as learning a game like MKX - where execution is actually a thing. I went from terrible to OK in a week in Smash. In MKX, that took me months - even with pros helping me out. Smash, I just figured out.

IMO, MKX is much harder than SFV - since many of the moves and combos are recycled from one character to the next. In MKX, each character is unique - unless you use Alien or Kung JIn.

GAV

Mind games? Playing your opponent? Character knowledge and reactions? Baits? Its clear youve put less than 5 minutes into that game, maybe none at all, ill pass on this one.

Lol at MKX being classy tho, thats a good one
I actually played KI a ton. I just don't think its nearly as deep as MKX.