What's new

MKX was the closest we've ever been to have a rerun of the MK4/Gold roster in the NRS era

Pizza

Thrill Kill
You know how much I love MK4!

I love it. However, let's see who's not here:

Meat: lol
Noob Saibot: His fans were the "Mileena stans" of 2014-2015
Baraka and Fujin were in the game as NPCs, they weren't playable for some reason.
Reiko was missing.

Kai... Kai is such a strange character. It seems like he was meant to replace Liu Kang but they backed up at some point, so he's kinda redundant. Then he never showed up until MK Armageddon where he was heavily redesigned. And then he was never heard of ever since.

I put Kano in Jarek's spot because Jarek is a shameless Kano rip-off. One of his fatalities is killing the opponent with laser eyes, something that would make sense with Kano's eye but Jarek? wtf was that? So to me it'd be pointless to keep Kano out when it's clear that he was meant to be in the original roster.

Then if MK12 follows the tradition of reuniting every playable character at the end of a trilogy, the dream would be almost true. Noob Saibot, Fujin and Baraka would be added! and Reiko could easily be DLC. Unlike Jarek/Kano, I think Reiko is significantly different from Noob Saibot both in visual and gameplay design. So both characters can co-exist in the same game. They did in MK4, but Noob Saibot was pretty barebones compared to what he is today tbh.

I don't see any returning chances for Meat and Kai. They seem to be pretty forgotten, and I don't know a single fan of any of them.

Here's hoping MK12 reunites all these characters! Bring the MK4/Gold family together.

Kai... Kai is such a strange character. It seems like he was meant to replace Liu Kang but they backed up at some point,
Tanya was originally going to be Kitana, but they decided to do a new character instead. I believe Mortal Kombat 4 has some Kitana code left in it. Of course she was added proper to Mortal Kombat Gold.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I have said this before but I think Kung Jin took Kai’s spot as Kai was a young Shaolin with connections to Liu Kang that they already had.
That makes sense. And Kung Jin was better developed, I think there's future for him.

Tanya was originally going to be Kitana, but they decided to do a new character instead. I believe Mortal Kombat 4 has some Kitana code left in it. Of course she was added proper to Mortal Kombat Gold.
Yes, I think you're right. I remember something about Kitana's unfinished code being left in the game. At least Tanya and Reiko ended up being good characters on their own; on the other hand you have Kai and Jarek...

At least Tanya and Reiko ended up being good characters on their own; on the other hand you have Kai and Jarek...
Yeah, I found Mortal Kombat 4 was the last game before the modern trilogy to have a health mix of good "new" characters. I personally don't like most of the new characters from the 3D era, but have liked most of them from Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Yeah, I found Mortal Kombat 4 was the last game before the modern trilogy to have a health mix of good "new" characters. I personally don't like most of the new characters from the 3D era, but have liked most of them from Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.
It’s probably because the MK Team did fuck all when it came to introducing new characters back then.

MK4 is considered by many to be the worst main MK because barely anyone cared about the new characters outside of Quan Chi & Shinnok finally being playable along with it being janky to play & the voice acting is god awful.

When the MK team started to care more about story & changed the concept of story mode from Konquest to Story in MKvsDCU that’s when they started concentrating on each character’s role & lore then introduced introductions in MKX for more backstory like Erron Black killing Kobra.

As good as Konquest Mode was, you still don’t really know any of the new characters unless they play a part in the story & it’s still really vague.

It’s incredibly easy to prefer Kung Jin to Kai as NRS did a stellar job of introducing Kung Jin when the MK Team did barely anything for Kai.

It’s probably because the MK Team did fuck all when it came to introducing new characters back then.

MK4 is considered by many to be the worst main MK because barely anyone cared about the new characters outside of Quan Chi & Shinnok finally being playable along with it being janky to play & the voice acting is god awful.

When the MK team started to care more about story & changed the concept of story mode from Konquest to Story in MKvsDCU that’s when they started concentrating on each character’s role & lore then introduced introductions in MKX for more backstory like Erron Black killing Kobra.

As good as Konquest Mode was, you still don’t really know any of the new characters unless they play a part in the story & it’s still really vague.

It’s incredibly easy to prefer Kung Jin to Kai as NRS did a stellar job of introducing Kung Jin when the MK Team did barely anything for Kai.
Very good points.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
MKX's roster was 2nd only to MK9's, in my opinion.

Also, Triborg is the best DLC character ever in an NRS game and I feel like it's not even close.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Just wish they’d bring back Shinnok. Was ecstatic that they brought him back in MKX, in fact, I was one of the first people to main him, back when everyone said he sucked. One of the first local tournaments with some pretty big names here in GA, I had to literally sit on a setup and play through the entire game to unlock him because I was the only player there that mained him. Shoulda used Boneshaper in that tournament, no one knew what to do against it.

Then he got buffed and everyone was using him. But I definitely am gonna claim I was one of the first!