What's new

MKX PS3 Stick problem

haketh

Noob
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159955147&postcount=7916
Markman said:
For anyone that's looking to use their PS3 arcade sticks with the PS4 version of Mortal Kombat X...

You will need a PS4 controller (Dual Shock 4 or existing PS4 arcade stick) to authenticate and assign a profile to for the PS3 "legacy controller" to work.

If you want two PS3 arcade sticks to work, then you will need two PS4 controllers (DS4 or PS4 sticks) to use for the authentication progress. The controller used for authentication must be kept plugged in or charged (DS4). If the signal is disconnected then the PS3 controller will cease to operate within the game. One thing that may be an issue is that the PS4 only has 2 USB ports, so plan accordingly (powered hub etc).
http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/looking-for-dualshock-3-driver-help-for-ps4.4164/page-2#post-263959
MikeZ said:
That's entirely up to MKX/NRS, it has nothing to do with devkit vs retail. A profile is not required for the driver, it is required by the GAME for savedata and trophies and things. The PS3 driver itself doesn't care about any profiles or anything at all besides which sticks are plugged in. (Though I would assume you don't need to keep the controller actually physically plugged in, just not dead, so the 2 USB ports isn't really an issue unless you're at low battery, and you can probably plug the DS4 into another USB port like your phone charger, for power. That's some sideways spin there, heh.)

SG does NOT work that way, as already shown on repeated Salty streams. SG keeps the profile that started the game always logged in, and that's the only profile it uses no matter which controllers you add or remove. You need a single DS4 to press one button and dismiss the "You plugged in a legacy controller, the Home button won't work" message that you get when plugging in a PS3 stick the first time - and we're trying to fix that, too! - but after that point you can disconnect the DS4 and play the game entirely with PS3 sticks until you turn it off. I even wrote special code where if the DS4 was in charge of the menus, when you unplug it the game finds the first PS3 stick and puts that one in charge, which is not how other console versions work.

[edit] Just checked with my phone charger, you can leave a DS4 connected to your PS4 and charge it that way. If you connect it to something else that recognizes it as a controller (like your PC, with DS4 drivers) then it will disconnect from the PS4.

I don't have a GAF account, but there ya go.

So it sounds like something is screwy with using the SG Driver due to something NRS did, hope this can be looked into @colt

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
it requires a DS4 as the parent controller for home functionality and to link it to your profile. It cant just use the account that comes in because the game supports a profile loaded for each player.

haketh

Noob
it requires a DS4 as the parent controller for home functionality and to link it to your profile. It cant just use the account that comes in because the game supports a profile loaded for each player.
Why does it seem to need one controller per stick though that needs to be powered on? SG doesn't need this apparently straight from Mike's mouth.

So wait, what's the solution if a friend and I want to play on two PS3 sticks and I only have one DS4? I have to go out and buy a shitty third party PS4 controller now?

I figured you'd have to use a PS4 controller for authentication, considering it's the game that allows PS3 stick compatibility and not the system, but one controller per stick is kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, they should definitely fix this. This renders the excitement of the driver announcement pretty damn unexciting.

And because it's relevant since we're talking about 3rd party controller support, they should also fix the command for resetting training mode. It currently uses the track pad button. HUGE oversight. Please fix this NRS! @colt

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
there is no "fixing" it. signed-in profiles that use save data need to be assigned to a PS4 controller and have home button functionality. as far as the back button in practice if you turn on delayed pause in the gameplay options you can then double tap start to reset in practice.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Wait. One question.

If I have two PS4 Dual shocks, and 2 PS3 fight sticks, can I plug in all four controllers to be able to use the 2 FightSticks?

there is no "fixing" it. signed-in profiles that use save data need to be assigned to a PS4 controller and have home button functionality. as far as the back button in practice if you turn on delayed pause in the gameplay options you can then double tap start to reset in practice.
So there's no "guest" function? The 2nd player absolutely needs to be signed into a profile?

With every fighting game I've played on the 360 and PS3, there was absolutely no need for two profiles. You just sign into one and the second player could just join up. We really need to have a separate save data for player 2? We really need to be earning two sets of the same trophies?

haketh

Noob
i'm assuming cause they only support 1 profile? it also isn't out yet for PS4 so that hasn't passed TRC certification yet.
That's how it's gonna be when it comes out, Mike has already made this clear so it's frankly strange a similar thing hasn't been done for MKX. THe way it is now it's going to be highly frustrating possibly to run major tournaments & big events.

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
Your not getting what he's saying the games are different, each player on PS4 does not require a profile on skullgirls,

MKX requires each player to have a profile.

On PS4 each profile must be attached to a PS4 controller.

He's also stating that while Mike may plan to leave the features configured as they are they haven't gotten certification yet so nothing is yet set in stone.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
So there's no "guest" function? The 2nd player absolutely needs to be signed into a profile?

With every fighting game I've played on the 360 and PS3, there was absolutely no need for two profiles. You just sign into one and the second player could just join up. We really need to have a separate save data for player 2? We really need to be earning two sets of the same trophies?
player2 can be a guest its not required to sign in. its supporting separate saves at all.

player2 can be a guest its not required to sign in. its supporting separate saves at all.
But just to clarify, even if the second player signs in as a guest, you would still need two PS4 controllers to use two PS3 sticks though, right? :(

If that's the case, I'm pretty disappointed I'm going to have to drop an extra $60 tomorrow when I pick up the game just to have a second DS4 I will never use except for setting up a second PS3 stick.

So if my DS4 goes out of battery mid tournament match am I getting DQ'd?

Edit: I'm a stick player, and I'd be forced to pair a DS4 to a Guest Profile to play every match, and keep it on the entire time, then disconnect and resync to a new system every tourney match?

This reeks of logistical nightmares for PS3 Stick players. :\

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
So if my DS4 goes out of battery mid tournament match am I getting DQ'd?

Edit: I'm a stick player, and I'd be forced to pair a DS4 to a Guest Profile to play every match, and keep it on the entire time, then disconnect and resync to a new system every tourney match?

This reeks of logistical nightmares for PS3 Stick players. :\
well your ds4 wouldn't even be allowed to have a battery at most tournaments.

If you don't ever want to upgrade to something that is native support or get an undamned converter made by a modder I would think you could get a usb hub and have that for both your stick and ds4 for tournaments. (since the other player will be using the other usb port) (this is just speculation on my part I haven't tested the hub idea)

haketh

Noob
Hadn't even thought of that, due to this Sticks most likely won't be able to be used at Tournaments because DS4s have to have the battery removed at tournaments :-/

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This PS3 stick issue may be banned at EVO (and other tournaments) then if you have to use a PS4 pad to authenticate which is wireless. To prevent this, the TOs would then have to provide pads for PS3 stick users to use. This is gonna get ugly.

Thank God I am getting a PS4 stick next month...

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
I know the reason for it is for people who don't want to upgrade but in all seriousness we were going to have to eventually.
Personally I'm planning on making a dual converter when I have extra money but that's not anytime soon.

Or hopefully akishop reverse engineers some of the 3rd party pads that are out now and are able to make the ps360+ boards work on current gen without any board addons.

Teach

Noob
well this is unfortunate. I was hoping to start going to tournies again but I only have a ps3/360 stick. O well gonna have to wait till I can afford a new stick :/