What's new

MKX Patch Notes 5/14/15

First PC port I've ever played where the patches for PC are released later than console. Generally PC patches come out first since we don't have to go through console certification which can take for fucking ever.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
First PC port I've ever played where the patches for PC are released later than console. Generally PC patches come out first since we don't have to go through console certification which can take for fucking ever.
I'd love to know how NRS designs their games. Aren't they developed on PC? I have no idea about the inner workings of game design but to my simple consumer brain wouldn't it be easier to update that which you are developing and coding the game on? It's like NRS are old men who can't use new technology so they do things backwards.

I'd love to know how NRS designs their games. Aren't they developed on PC? I have no idea about the inner workings of game design but to my simple consumer brain wouldn't it be easier to update that which you are developing and coding the game on? It's like NRS are old men who can't use new technology so they do things backwards.
I believe they're done on the developer kits for PS4 and Xbox One, so not exactly the same thing.

For the PC version, HVS then needs to take it and make it work for a thousand and one possible system configurations.

I don't develop games myself, so I don't know the exact process either, however I know developing for PC is trickier because of all the system variations. Always has been.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I believe they're done on the developer kits for PS4 and Xbox One, so not exactly the same thing.

For the PC version, HVS then needs to take it and make it work for a thousand and one possible system configurations.

I don't develop games myself, so I don't know the exact process either, however I know developing for PC is trickier because of all the system variations. Always has been.
Yeah, the variables make sense. That sounds like a nightmare. Makes developing games for console seem like a walk in the park for devs I'd imagine.

1001 hardware combinations that all use the same operating system. Coding isn't the issue in PC game development, optimization is. When it comes to patching PC patches should generally get released first because once a PC patch is done it's DONE. Whereas console patches get written, internally qa'ed then sent off to sony/microsoft for console certification which seems to vary wildly from patch to patch and console to console.

As far as how NRS runs things I have no idea other than to say that this is the first PC port I've ever played where the patches come out later on PC than on consoles. That hasn't been the case for any of the mass effect or dragon age games I've played where there were multi-platform issues addressed by patching.

I mean sure you get differences when it comes to PC specific bugs that have to get patched out, but universal fixes generally make it to PC first.

But they aren't behind schedule. They are on schedule from the sound of it. They are behind by design.

I also don't think that they are fully to blame for most of the issues. Netcode is said to be bad (though not as bad) on consoles. The memory leak affected consoles too. There are other issues that were basically inherited from the main game.

Now that's not to say that I'm defending HVS. I'm not thrilled with their communication. At this point, we could really just use a "we know and are working on it around the clock" but the last announcement was weeks ago. And there have been PC-exclusive issues (the big one being the save deletion), so that's likely not stemming from NRS.

But HVS is only a part of the problem and probably shouldn't be catching shit for being behind a patch, netcode, bugs shared with consoles, memory leaks, etc.
Someone who sent another message to them asking about a public statement posted a reply from HVS saying that only WB is allowed to make all of the public/community statements.

1001 hardware combinations that all use the same operating system. Coding isn't the issue in PC game development, optimization is. When it comes to patching PC patches should generally get released first because once a PC patch is done it's DONE. Whereas console patches get written, internally qa'ed then sent off to sony/microsoft for console certification which seems to vary wildly from patch to patch and console to console.

As far as how NRS runs things I have no idea other than to say that this is the first PC port I've ever played where the patches come out later on PC than on consoles. That hasn't been the case for any of the mass effect or dragon age games I've played where there were multi-platform issues addressed by patching.

I mean sure you get differences when it comes to PC specific bugs that have to get patched out, but universal fixes generally make it to PC first.
I never said coding or optimizing, I generalized by saying developing :p.

And it sounds like HVS is waiting for the patch from NRS to then make it PC-ready. For your examples of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, they were done by the same developer regardless of platform. For Mortal Kombat X, you have two developers. One for PS4/Xbox One, and one for PC. And the same developer doing both console versions has the patch release on PS4 first.

At least we know patches will be coming.

Someone who sent another message to them asking about a public statement posted a reply from HVS saying that only WB is allowed to make all of the public/community statements.
I've been saying this for weeks.

For those who are unaware, WBIE is the main decision maker and the main company involved in all versions of Mortal Kombat X. HVS works for WBIE under contract. NRS is owned and works for WBIE. WBIE markets, distributes, and commissions support for the product that we, the consumer, have purchased the license to use.

HVS could only make an announcement if WBIE says they can.

Lambro

Using that OTHER green guy
I've been refreshing this page for updates at work for when the patch hits. https://steamdb.info/app/307780/depots/

WBQA is a new sub-category that wasn't there before for MKX. Happy to see that WB is taking a direct approach on testing this time after what happened with the Jason patch.

Lambro

Using that OTHER green guy
I really do not remember "wb_testing" being there till the Tanya patch depot was uploaded last weekend. Could be wrong though. The description for WBQA was 100% not there previously and was only recently added once again from the weekend.

I really do not remember "wb_testing" being there till the Tanya patch depot was uploaded last weekend. Could be wrong though. The description for WBQA was 100% not there previously and was only recently added once again from the weekend.
Good. Hopefully (hopefully), that means better quality patches and more thorough testing.

I wonder how many Krypt Unlocks they had to give out, as WBIE would be looking at that as lost revenue.

Well, let's hope that Sky Temple gets a "fix" in this patch, i really want to play there...... :(
And that's the crazy things, how some things work for some people but not for others. Sky Temple runs beautifully for me and always has. Since the last patch though, I've been having intermittent issues with Dead Woods. All stages were running great for me pre-Jason patch.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
And that's the crazy things, how some things work for some people but not for others. Sky Temple runs beautifully for me and always has. Since the last patch though, I've been having intermittent issues with Dead Woods. All stages were running great for me pre-Jason patch.
well.... that's the problem with this port right here, Dead Woods, were one of a few stages, that i could actually get 60 stable, since day one.... now, only Sky Temple remains unplayable.... fucking hell....

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
You on an AMD or nVidia card?
i have a GTX 660, and my brother has a 970... they are both running this stage like shite....

P.S. i can actually lower the resolution, and get 60, but, all the other stages are fine on 1080p, then for this one if i put in 1280x800 it actually runs better, but again, is the game's fault, not mine..... lol
P.P.S i think is because the CPU/GPU Usage doesn't go up, in some stages.... maybe that's why.... i don't know....

qspec

Noob
There you have it! I'm guilty of misplacing blame as well.

I guess to be more clear, what I should have said was... someone, somewhere needs to communicate to the PC community better.

There you have it! I'm guilty of misplacing blame as well.

I guess to be more clear, what I should have said was... someone, somewhere needs to communicate to the PC community better.
And that should be WBIE, but they don't seem too keen on that.

i have a GTX 660, and my brother has a 970... they are both running this stage like shite....

P.S. i can actually lower the resolution, and get 60, but, all the other stages are fine on 1080p, then for this one if i put in 1280x800 it actually runs better, but again, is the game's fault, not mine..... lol
P.P.S i think is because the CPU/GPU Usage doesn't go up, in some stages.... maybe that's why.... i don't know....
Okay, I have a GeForce GTX 750 Ti, and I'm running the game at 1600x900. I get framerate hiccups at 1080p on any stage.

Have you tried seeing what GeForce Experience recommends for the game? It recommended 1600x900 for me, and blamo, most of my problems were solved.