What's new

MKX Online Beta Extra Details in Kombat Kast

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If you watched the Kombat Kast today, then you'll know that they discussed the latency settings for the online. The EO Beta currently is set to 3 frames of static input delay. For reference, the FightCade client defaults latency to 1 frame. This explains why EO so smoothly despite using rollback. When the EO update launches, NRS has stated that there will be a setting to add the 3 frames of delay to offline play, so that the online latency remains throughout the normal game.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I think it'll get annoying to know that the static delay exists with no way to alter it (unless they do actually implement that). Don't get me wrong, while I notice the delay at times, it isn't an unbearable amount of latency. I played offline for a good while, then switched to online, and the difference was fairly negligible for me, personally. But I would definitely like to see an option to set your smoothing manually.

Attachments

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
its an optional feature. its not unheard of marvel had something like that. it basically allows you to simulate lag so you can practice for online. its probably there to help people practice for esl.

Matix218

Get over here!
I have a question for the tech gurus about the beta in general with regards to it running at 3 frames of delay. Why does it not seem like it runs at 3 frames of delay?

Specifically, I play hellfire. To link a 21 after a hit flame aura is a 2 frame link. I use the visual cue of scorpion letting his hands down to know when to input the 2. Well I have been using that exact same visual cue in the beta and it works every time. If it is running on three frames of delay wouldn't I miss it by 1 frame every time since I am using the same timing/visual cue as I use offline? It does not make sense to me. Can someone explain?

@THTB @16 Bit

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I have a question for the tech gurus about the beta in general with regards to it running at 3 frames of delay. Why does it not seem like it runs at 3 frames of delay?

Specifically, I play hellfire. To link a 21 after a hit flame aura is a 2 frame link. I use the visual cue of scorpion letting his hands down to know when to input the 2. Well I have been using that exact same visual cue in the beta and it works every time. If it is running on three frames of delay wouldn't I miss it by 1 frame every time since I am using the same timing/visual cue as I use offline? It does not make sense to me. Can someone explain?

Because 3 frames isn't as much as you think and while you do use visual cues, muscle memory does most if not all the work for you regardless.

3 frames is perfect though and there aren't many 1 frame links. Plus sf4 ran off of input delay based netcode for 6-7 years and ppl could consistently hit 1 frame links on there, different game, but this netcode is a looooot better then what they offered.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist

@THTB @16 Bit
The 3 frame delay simulates online, meaning if you play online you automatically experience the delay. If you land the link online, then you already are landing it with the delay

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
If you watched the Kombat Kast today, then you'll know that they discussed the latency settings for the online. The EO Beta currently is set to 3 frames of static input delay. For reference, the FightCade client defaults latency to 1 frame. This explains why EO so smoothly despite using rollback. When the EO update launches, NRS has stated that there will be a setting to add the 3 frames of delay to offline play, so that the online latency remains throughout the normal game.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I think it'll get annoying to know that the static delay exists with no way to alter it (unless they do actually implement that). Don't get me wrong, while I notice the delay at times, it isn't an unbearable amount of latency. I played offline for a good while, then switched to online, and the difference was fairly negligible for me, personally. But I would definitely like to see an option to set your smoothing manually.
What? They said its optional. Its for online warriors who play towers

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Great feature.. Offline like Online, esp. practice.

online won't be just like offline due to the 3 frame lag, but its pretty god damn good.

like counterpokes and reversals will be effected.

example 1: player one uses -10 frame move on block, and you go to punish with 8 frame starter, you will not get it out in time.. combos that usually got punished by 1 frame faster moves will no longer work. (but it never did)

theory of this is the scenario of holding block during the ending of your string you do on your opponents block. the block should come out of the first buffer frame, when your oponents should come out 3 frames later.

but this is why i think the 3 frame toggle for offline is a good thing for online warriors

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Great feature.. Offline like Online, esp. practice.

online won't be just like offline due to the 3 frame lag, but its pretty god damn good.

like counterpokes and reversals will be effected.

example 1: player one uses -10 frame move on block, and you go to punish with 8 frame starter, you will not get it out in time.. combos that usually got punished by 1 frame faster moves will no longer work. (but it never did)

theory of this is the scenario of holding block during the ending of your string you do on your opponents block. the block should come out of the first buffer frame, when your oponents should come out 3 frames later.

but this is why i think the 3 frame toggle for offline is a good thing for online warriors
A 3 frame input delay doesn't mean some moves are no longer punishable. You just need to input it slightly earlier

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What? They said its optional. Its for online warriors who play towers
No, they specifically said that the new online currently has 3 frame static delay that can be applied offline via toggle.

It worries me that they aren't planning on implementing a smoothing setting that let's you change that latency according to the connection.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
No, they specifically said that the new online currently has 3 frame static delay that can be applied offline via toggle.

It worries me that they aren't planning on implementing a smoothing setting that let's you change that latency according to the connection.
Yes....I am aware. Its just a buffer to make online as smooth as possible. As long as latency is halfway decent it will be fine. Iv played people with 200ms ping on the beta and it feels normal

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think the thread is more about the forced input delay for online, not the offline option.

In other games with Rollback netcode, they can offer a slider, that you set your input delay.
This gives you an option to deal with the real shitty connections, because for some people, they would prefer to have 3-5 frames of input delay over constant rollback teleporting, well others would prefer no input delay at all, and just deal with the teleporting.

MK doesn't seem to offer that, instead going with a universal 3 frames of input delay no matter the connection.
Maybe they didn't have enough time to implement an option, or they simply don't trust the MK user base to understand how any of it works.
It's not the end of the world, 3 frames is not bad all things considered.

SFV also really needs an option for this. In bad connections, that game is horror show, the rollback and jitter is off the charts.
Even worse then when the rollback was glitched in the MKX beta.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I think the thread is more about the forced input delay for online, not the offline option.

In other games with Rollback netcode, they can offer a slider, that you set your input delay.
This gives you an option to deal with the real shitty connections, because for some people, they would prefer to have 3-5 frames of input delay over constant rollback teleporting, well others would prefer no input delay at all, and just deal with the teleporting.

MK doesn't seem to offer that, instead going with a universal 3 frames of input delay no matter the connection.
Maybe they didn't have enough time to implement an option, or they simply don't trust the MK user base to understand how any of it works.
It's not the end of the world, 3 frames is not bad all things considered.

SFV also really needs an option for this. In bad connections, that game is horror show, the rollback and jitter is off the charts.
Even worse then when the rollback was glitched in the MKX beta.
Ahhh I see. I thought this was about toggling it when offline.

Yes it would be nice to adjust it yourself but I think universal 3ms delay is fine. You know there would be some asshats out there fucking with their delay too much either out of ignorance or just to be fuckbois

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Anyone having issues with the beta? It's lagging like halfway through the matches now...

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I personally like the idea. It's optional and this should have been included before launch. Before. Launch. Day one.

3 frames delay in and optional training mode I would think it would better prepare for less desireable connections. It's a major step in the right direction in improving online play right along with the beta.

My only concern would be and I'm not gullible but is 3 frames enough? We've all experienced the rollbacks and teleporting along with the disconnections.

So my question is what we've have experienced when such problems like that happen is it tolerable with 3 frames of delay or would more or less be far more better to make it bearable online.

Can someone more knowledgeable about this then myself answer this or explain it so I could fully understand?

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I personally like the idea. It's optional and this should have been included before launch. Before. Launch. Day one.

3 frames delay in and optional training mode I would think it would better prepare for less desireable connections. It's a major step in the right direction in improving online play right along with the beta.

My only concern would be and I'm not gullible but is 3 frames enough? We've all experienced the rollbacks and teleporting along with the disconnections.

So my question is what we've have experienced when such problems like that happen is it tolerable with 3 frames of delay or would more or less be far more better to make it bearable online.

Can someone more knowledgeable about this then myself answer this or explain it so I could fully understand?
Not really sure that rambling counts as a question (sorry) but, 3 frames is plenty for an average connection to average bordering on shitty connection. Nobody has any business playing any game on 200+ ping anway. 150 if were being conservative.

Basically: You need lower buffer (1ms) for lower latency connections and higher for higher latency connection. NRS decided to hard code it at 3 frames rather than let user adjust or dynamically set it based on latecy. This makes sense because game traffic is bursty and users are stupid.

3 frames is a small price to pay for how godlike the new netcode is honestly. I would take a consistent 3 frame delay over variable input lag ANY DAY. I bet most players will subconsciously adjust after a handful of games when switching inbetween offline/online.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Not really sure that rambling counts as a question (sorry) but, 3 frames is plenty for an average connection to average bordering on shitty connection. Nobody has any business playing any game on 200+ ping anway. 150 if were being conservative.

Basically: You need lower buffer (1ms) for lower latency connections and higher for higher latency connection. NRS decided to hard code it at 3 frames rather than let user adjust or dynamically set it based on latecy. This makes sense because game traffic is bursty and users are stupid.

3 frames is a small price to pay for how godlike the new netcode is honestly. I would take a consistent 3 frame delay over variable input lag ANY DAY. I bet most players will subconsciously adjust after a handful of games when switching inbetween offline/online.
OK. That sounds good.

As long as it will be just/better then the beta I'm a happy dude.

Thanks for the explanation I don't know too much of this shit I'm just now really starting to understand it so thanks.

Yes. It is fucking godlike.