What's new

MKX AntiAirs: Which characters cannot Anti Air in Mkx

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think everyone is way too used to MK9 having the most absurd ways to anti-air someone reliably for 20-30% every time. While there are games where a lot of characters have consistent anti-airs, MK9 is a rarity in that basically everyone consistently anti-aired you for 1/4 of your life for just about any jump in that wasn't a jump kick, with no meter investment. Part of that consistency was influenced by jump normals being so universal in the first place.

As much as SF probably has more consistent AAs, only the older SF games really AAs that came close to that damage output on an AA and, as time went on, required much more to get it. SFIV's anti-air damage is actually pretty meh without investing in some meter, given that there are jump normals that sometimes stuff anti-airs and lead to beefy damage, and a lot of characters can alter their jump trajectories for much safer results than in MK.

st9rm

viennality.com
I have no problem anti airing as Takeda (anymore atleast, spent last 3 weeks focusing on nothing but anti airs, used to suck at it) but its character specific definitely.
what is your go-to antiair as takeda?
i like going for b1 xx tele, but that move is just so slow
f1 2+4 works well, but it takes a long time until the 2+4 comes out, also if it whiffs, i'll eat a full combo
21 is somewhat ok as well, but also way too slow and whiffing that move grants the opponent to full combo punish you as well

furthermore, what do you do against crossovers? njp does sometimes seem to be working, but will lose most trades against the opponent njp'ng as well -.-

edit:
standing 4, or 44 also works as an anti air, tried it against lao's ji2 in the lab
dunno if it's viable though

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
what is your go-to antiair as takeda?
i like going for b1 xx tele, but that move is just so slow
f1 2+4 works well, but it takes a long time until the 2+4 comes out, also if it whiffs, i'll eat a full combo
21 is somewhat ok as well, but also way too slow and whiffing that move grants the opponent to full combo punish you as well

furthermore, what do you do against crossovers? njp does sometimes seem to be working, but will lose most trades against the opponent njp'ng as well -.-

edit:
standing 4, or 44 also works as an anti air, tried it against lao's ji2 in the lab
dunno if it's viable though
D1 and stand 1

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
@G4S J360

That's beautiful. I need to incorporate it into my Goro strategy, earlier in this thread I was complaining about how I don't know how to deal with people jumping once they're already in. Your video should be mandatory viewing before you can select Goro on the character select screen.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
@G4S J360

That's beautiful. I need to incorporate it into my Goro strategy, earlier in this thread I was complaining about how I don't know how to deal with people jumping once they're already in. Your video should be mandatory viewing before you can select Goro on the character select screen.
Hmmmm it's good but it doesn't really address anything. Goro doesn't recover quick enough and has wasted a bar of stamina, characters like Kotal, Cassie etc. can continue pressure on him after a whiffed ji and now he can't break.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Raiden's d2 is way too slow and his normals suck as anti airing overall.

To be fair he has some of the best anti-airs with meter so I'm not complaining

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
I think it's the same but the fact there is a run in MKX means jumps can take you by surprise more. That and the fact transitioning from block to an AA takes a bit more time.

MKX just being a faster game in general makes it seem like AA'ing is harder.
I think this might be true. In mk9 at jump distance you were generally looking for a jump in. In mkx at jump distance you have to be thinking about jump in, run in throw, run in pressure, run in 50/50 etc. I think the speed and the number of options at that distance that you have to be looking for (and try to react to) makes it harder to aa on reaction IMO

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Crossovers are better to anti air with normals so you have to find which one(if any) work with you characters and go from there. Crossovers can also be more easily low profiled.
yeah i find 9 frame startup normal's are the best(also helps to have a good horizontal hitbox like cassie Standing 1), online 11 makes it practically hard to read the crossover unless they manically do it as a staple.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
Between f1 and njp Raiden has some of the best meterless AA options in the game. -_-
First of all nj2 isn't an anti air normal- it's an air-to-air so it was excluded from my point about anti air normals, secondly f1 isn't a great anti air because it never leads to good damage and the 2 in f12 usually doesn't hit from my experience

Xev

Noob
I dunno how Raiden players can act like he has problems anti airing, try experimenting a little. I don't even play this character and saw that his d3 can anti air jump kicks in a few minutes. Probably won't work against some of the crazier jump ins but even then armor options are available.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I dunno how Raiden players can act like he has problems anti airing, try experimenting a little. I don't even play this character and saw that his d3 can anti air jump kicks in a few minutes. Probably won't work against some of the crazier jump ins but even then armor options are available.

These are just some of Raiden's AAs

NJP
F1
Any part of of his lightning moves
Ex Titty twister
Ex Burst
Ex Thunder Uppercut(whatever it is)
Various Pokes

Raiden has no problems dealing with jumpins at all. It's just a matter of people not leveling up.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015

D3 AA that leads to 16 percent combo and full corner carry from mid screen seems pretty dees to me.

haketh

Noob
First of all nj2 isn't an anti air normal- it's an air-to-air so it was excluded from my point about anti air normals, secondly f1 isn't a great anti air because it never leads to good damage and the 2 in f12 usually doesn't hit from my experience
It may not lead to balls to the wall damage *Which I doubt honestly* but it AAs reliably and you get great corner push out of it

A Raiden player comes here to say that his character has bad AAs. Now we need a Cassie player to do the same and the point of this thread will be completely proven.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Do you have any jump ins in particular? I tested it against kotal and cassie and was able to backdash pretty consistently. I may be wrong about it, but i haven't run into one i couldn't backdash yet.
I'm gonna go ahead and try them out before I said anything specific. will probably upload a vid about how you can't backdash most strings to whiff punish them thats my mains issue tbh.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Hmmmm it's good but it doesn't really address anything. Goro doesn't recover quick enough and has wasted a bar of stamina, characters like Kotal, Cassie etc. can continue pressure on him after a whiffed ji and now he can't break.
I'm thinking in terms of cassie, if she isn't directly on top of me then f3 isn't going to hit, so she's lost her ability to 50/50 me at least. i haven't tested, do I recover fast enough to armor through pressure attempts? Because that would at least put some extra thought into the situation

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I'm thinking in terms of cassie, if she isn't directly on top of me then f3 isn't going to hit, so she's lost her ability to 50/50 me at least. i haven't tested, do I recover fast enough to armor through pressure attempts? Because that would at least put some extra thought into the situation
You're put in b1 range at slightly minus (like -2?). Yes, you can armour out, but essentially you're out in Cassie's footsie range and you've wasted a bar of stamina.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think it's the same but the fact there is a run in MKX means jumps can take you by surprise more. That and the fact transitioning from block to an AA takes a bit more time.

MKX just being a faster game in general makes it seem like AA'ing is harder.
Yes, I can go along with this. There is almost no way of maintaining your distance in MKX unless you have a very strong poke, like a Kotal D4 (or Predator D4, Johnny Cage D4). With the run mechanic and extreme footsie strings like Cassie, D'Vorrah, etc., there is almost no way to sit back and play defense. If you try to play defense, they will almost always get back in and mess you up with 50/50's, throws or pressure. It makes it very difficult to maintain any sort of range to set up an AA. Also, I'm not sure why they slowed down the poking game in MKX, but there seems to be a lot more characters with 7-8 frame pokes instead of the 6-7 frames of MK9 and Injustice. I still think SFIV had better priority on AA's, but there are definitely some spacing factors at play.