What's new

MKT questions

Raditz

Noob
Just a couple of questions regarding MKT:

1. Could someone kindly break down (not explicit detail) each of the versions including the 64 one, in terms of what's "proper"? Did the MK arcade team (Boon, Tobias etc) have anything to do with it? Which is the version used in the combo videos (whenever it isn't specified)?

2. What's the story with Cage in MKT? Did they film his moves during the making of MK3 or did they do it later? Is he really badly hacked in like the bosses? Is he particularly good/bad as a result? Very interested to know.

Thanks, everyone! Outstanding site too.

dreemernj

Ambassador
There are different versions of MKT and the different versions have their own revisions.

MKT for PSX, Saturn and PC are all pretty much the same game. They used the same data files, graphics, etc. So when you line them up side by side you see character sizes and menus and everything looking the same.

MKT for PSX had at least 3 revisions. The early ones were buggy and had low gravity. The last and best revision was the Greatest Hits edition.

MKT for PC had at least 2 revisions. I used to own a copy that was not as bad as buggy MKT for PSX but it definately had low gravity and easier combos. There is also a Final revision of MKT for PC that is essentially identical to Greatest Hits MKT.

MKT for Saturn I've only seen 1 revision for and its buggy as hell. I doubt more revisions existed because the sales were abysmal, they had no incentive for even making a second run of the game.

MKT for N64 is a different beast all together. It feels like its built off of UMK3 for SNES. The gameplay is a total mess. It's missing a bunch of characters (MK1 Kano, MK1 Raiden, MK2 Kung Lao, MK2 Jax, Goro, Kintaro, Unmasked Sub Zero). It's sound and graphics are overall pretty bad. The worst part though is they removed or tweaked gameplay mechanics to make big damage combos easier to do.

In its best version (Greatest Hits MKT for PSX or Final MKT for PC), gameplay is basically identical to UMK3 for the arcade. If you use UMK3 characters and moves, almost any combo done in one works the same way in the other.

I think the MK team did have something to do with them. Noob and Rain are both hideously broken and I think that was Boon and Tobias having some fun with it.

One fun thing, I believe every character with recycled graphics gained a move. Baraka got the blade spin, MK2 Raiden got reverse electricity, MK2 Kung Lao got the superman move, etc.

As far as Johnny Cage, I'd say he was recorded for MKT specifically. And might I add, the guy they recorded sucks. Despite how much airbrushing and image hacking they could do, he still ends up looking like he doesn't even know how to punch. But, he isn't hacked into the game like the bosses are. He is a full, normal character. He has his own projectile and they gave him correct sounding sound effects for his specials and everything (MK2 sounding). He actually even does MK2 level damage which is weird.

MK2 Jax, MK2 Kung Lao, Baraka, and Johnny Cage all do MK2 level damage, even though Johnny Cage is completely redone visually. They probably wanted to just use the old graphics and legally couldn't or something. And also strangely, MK2 Raiden does not do MK2 level damage, furthering my belief that he was somehow used in the development of MK3 and may have even been considered as a secret character.

dreemernj

Ambassador
And I almost forgot. Unless otherwise specified, our combo vids use Greatest Hits MKT from PSX. We had some videos that showed funny stuff from the earlier revisions of MKT for PSX as well, and a number of crazy MKT for N64 combo videos are out as well.

Raditz

Noob
Thanks for that, I reckon that stuff's one of the more interesting areas of MK. What's your theory about Raiden and MK3?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think the reason why he does MK3 damage is because he is directly, and obviously referred to, and involved in MK3's storyline. That's pretty much it. Also, in the making of MK3, there are Raiden portraits all over the select screen. I would have liked to see him get an MK3 style outfit. Perhaps one day...he will.

I also don't have the slightest clue as to why they would do something like give MKII character's their own damage dealing scale.

dreemernj

Ambassador
My theory is that at some point in time he was in MK3. Not in a released verson or anything, but I think they took MK2, left 1 character in, and built off of that to create MK3. And the character they kept was Raiden.

This is conspiracy theory stuff though, nothing with any backing whatsoever.

Raiden is prominent in the opening story screens of MK3. In the video about the development of MK3, character selection screen portraits that didn't have a character to go there yet had Raiden's MK2 select screen portrait. There's Nightwolf's friendship where he turns into him. And then when Trilogy comes out, he is the only returning MK2 character that does MK3 level damage, as if they had already worked on balancing him out with the rest of the MK3 cast.

His character would fit well with the storyline. He was always supposed to be quite tall so the tiny character height difference between MK2 and Mk3 wouldn't ruin anything.

Raditz

Noob
The conspiracy theory stuff's always the most fascinating. I remember seeing that Raiden MK3 character select screen in the making of video. Dyou really reckon MK3 is just like a major upgrade of MKII in that sense? Also do you know why they didn't just bring UMK3 out in the first place?

And is the Noob from the home versions of UMK3 and MKT the same as the WaveNET UMK3 Noob?

dreemernj

Ambassador
I believe MK3 is built directly off of MK2. That doesn't mean its true though :-P

Whether or not they swapped the code from one to the next the gameplay itself has always been a steady development. From MK1 through UMK3, every step has been refining the same game.

I've heard reasons why UMK3 didn't come out right off the bat. I think it was a deadline factor. They could either rush and throw everything in by the time MK3 needed to be out, or create MK3 with the plan of updating it later. I think they went with the latter from the beginning.

As far as I know Noob in Wavenet was a black ninja with a teleport move and not really much else. I don't know what kind of combos or anything he might have had. Maybe someone else here knows, someone that's actually played Wavenet.

In UMK3 rev 1.2 codes exist to play as Noob Saibot and they are relatively simple codes (not simple to find but not a thousand separate codes to make him playable either). He has no special moves and the button sequences for his autocombos are pretty much the same as Kano's.

Part of me wants to believe they were working on making Noob playable for UMK3 rev 1.2 since he is such a complete character after you use the code to unlock him, but at the same time I know the original Noob was a copy of Kano (so that's where the combos come from) and his graphics are just the ninjas. So its not like there is anything really unique about him that would make it difficult to use a code to play as him.

Raditz

Noob
Dyou think there was ever an intention to put Rain in 1.2, like are there any signs that indicate it could have been on the agenda? Or Tremor, for that matter. I remember reading that Tremor was designed for MKT but didn't make the cut for whatever reason. Was he a Belokk style developer designed character?

dreemernj

Ambassador
Raditz said:
Dyou think there was ever an intention to put Rain in 1.2, like are there any signs that indicate it could have been on the agenda? Or Tremor, for that matter. I remember reading that Tremor was designed for MKT but didn't make the cut for whatever reason. Was he a Belokk style developer designed character?
I kind of doubt they were planning on putting Rain in Rev 1.2. He seemed like more of a joke than anything else.

As for Tremor, they probably were considering putting the brown ninja in MKT. I think manuals shipped with Tremor in them by accident or something. Why they didn't I couldn't say.