What's new

MKAK: The Best OFFLINE Port? PS3 vs 360 vs PC

Noob
At Winter Brawl over the weekend, we had serious problems and complaints with the 360 version of MKAK. We experienced input drops, frame drops, input delay, and slowdown.

Two nights before Winter Brawl, Shock spent time with the PS3 version of MKAK and experienced none of those problems.

At WB, it was literally hell to set up UMK3 and keep it working on MAME. What should have taken 1 hour to run, took almost 3 and half hours because we had to keep delaying things. First, the stream didn't like the laptop's output from HDMI, forcing us to set up on another PC. Then different players wanted different things set up, and one pad didn't work and we were forced to shut down MAME at least 2-3 times to set up pads AGAIN.

Despite MKAK not being perfect, I would be willing to try the PS3 version in tournament again. If the PS3 version is not acceptable after the next tournament, we will switch back to MAME permanently.

Also, the PC version, IMO is 2nd on the list, but worst in terms of online play.

1. PS3 - best version offline for tournaments
2. PC - ok offline/worst online
3. 360 - best online/worst offline

DanCock

Cock Master!!
umm IMO the PS3 MKAK version is slow and i didnt like it. the regular ps3 version is better. nobody wanted to hear my input, everyone just ignored me.. i had just tried them both back to back the night before to see which was better..

when i heard Ki wasnt going to be played i left for home.

Tim Static

Adminerator
see yea, ive only had bad experiences with the PS3 port, same things Phil said was wrong with the 360 port. (i still havent tried the PC port fyi)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My friend got the MKAK on PS3, and it's definitely worse offline than the 360 version. I noticed nothing wrong with the 360 version while the PS3 version felt like it had built in delay. The 360 version isn't perfect, but compared to the PS3 version it's a no brainer that the 360 version is better. The only problem is the controllers, which PS3 obviously wins at that.

Were you guys testing each system on the same set-up (TV, TV settings, controller, etc)?

Reactions: ded

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
My friend got the MKAK on PS3, and it's definitely worse offline than the 360 version. I noticed nothing wrong with the 360 version while the PS3 version felt like it had built in delay. The 360 version isn't perfect, but compared to the PS3 version it's a no brainer that the 360 version is better. The only problem is the controllers, which PS3 obviously wins at that.

Were you guys testing each system on the same set-up (TV, TV settings, controller, etc)?

Ya bro....PS3 had minor problems, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the issues we had w/ 360's version......I will always like Mame the best, but PS3 MKAK is decent, just not preferable for tourneys IMO

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Well I've played the ps3 port once and that was before the patch. It was ugly, it felt slow mo and shit.

The 360 port was awesome for offline play before and after the patch. When you experience a slowdown, just erase the cache and it's good again. Apparently when too many matches are played (idk 400?) hits happens but is easily corrected erasing the cache memory. Hanzo said it a long time ago.

I haven't played the pc version yet, mi crappy computer won't run the game LOL

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I can only comment on the PS3 version since that's all I own. Post-patch, it's a definite improvement for online play. Unfortunately, there are still too many issues for me to take it seriously. Even if you get matched up with another 3-bar person, there is still delay. The sound effects are completely messed up for various moves and characters.

I hope the PC version is better because I'd like to to ditch MAME once and for all.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Well I've played the ps3 port once and that was before the patch. It was ugly, it felt slow mo and shit.

The 360 port was awesome for offline play before and after the patch. When you experience a slowdown, just erase the cache and it's good again. Apparently when too many matches are played (idk 400?) hits happens but is easily corrected erasing the cache memory. Hanzo said it a long time ago.

I haven't played the pc version yet, mi crappy computer won't run the game LOL
I can only comment on the PS3 version since that's all I own. Post-patch, it's a definite improvement for online play. Unfortunately, there are still too many issues for me to take it seriously. Even if you get matched up with another 3-bar person, there is still delay. The sound effects are completely messed up for various moves and characters.

I hope the PC version is better because I'd like to to ditch MAME once and for all.
Thanks Manuel & Bill, but only looking for whats best offline. online could be amazing, or horrible but i wouldnt care either way. We need to establish whats tourney worthy for this "kollection".

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Tim Static - Aight, cool. I didn't think MK2 was in question since everyone was fine with using the 2007 PSN version this weekend (MK1 for obvious reasons, lol) that's all. :)

I suppose I'll throw my hat in on this anyway; from what I've played of UMK3 on PS3, it does feel a bit sluggish compared to MAME imo, and I've had dropped inputs online and off, but no other issues. I only say this because if they've managed to screw this up here, there's most likely sporadic problems across all 3 versions, sadly.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Online or offline, I don't like either version. There is still button loss in the commands. During casuals this past weekend, i noticed it on both consoles. It's honestly a coin flip.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Ultimately for MK2, the PS3 original release is the best version for tournaments.
Just to clarify, I was referring to the PS3/360 MKAK differences. But yes, the original PSN MK2 release is hands down the best port available for MK2.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ultimately for MK2, the PS3 original release is the best version for tournaments.
Just to clarify, I was referring to the PS3/360 MKAK differences. But yes, the original PSN MK2 release is hands down the best port available for MK2.
yea i agree but 2 things.

point of this thread is to determine best version of MKAK, because the best versions of these games are the arcade boards. :p
Also, PSN MK2 isnt available to purchase anymore so if you dont already have it (or just have a 360), MKAK is your only choice on consoles :(

thanks fellas.

Noob
yea i agree but 2 things.

point of this thread is to determine best version of MKAK, because the best versions of these games are the arcade boards. :p
Also, PSN MK2 isnt available to purchase anymore so if you dont already have it (or just have a 360), MKAK is your only choice on consoles :(

thanks fellas.
SNES MK2

/thread

LOL

DanCock

Cock Master!!

Omg yea the sound effects were throwing me off. I kept laughing, every time they land othe ground it's like thump thump thump thump. Just a weird loud noise lololol

I'm glad I never bought that version.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Tim Static FYI I also played the mk1 on mkak it didn't seem too bad at all. How ever I didn't have a side by side comparison.

Noob
All of the MKAKs aren't as good as the older releases (MK2/PSN, UMK3/XBL), they aren't as good as Mame and Mame isn't as good as supergun.

Please allow me to bring up Supergun again ^_^. One video adapter for 30$, one power supply for 25$, one Jamma+ harness for 15$ and some audio video cables and you are good to go. We have more than enough knowledgeable arcade techs to help get a good plugnplay setup for controls for PS/XB. TerryMasters MK3fan GoldenOreos

You guys already own all of the expensive parts (the Jamma boards). I have two video adapters that output on SD, Svideo, VGA and Composite and it only ran me around 70$ for both of them shipped and they are even cheaper now. If you want me to mail you my rig to test with for a while, let me know. It's better than dicking around with all of this and the quality is almost as good as it gets for not having to tote around a 200Lb piece of wood.

You even have a way to play MK4 with a supergun.

Zaq, we will talk. I need to get ahold of Terry and GoldenOreos too. We can definitely make this happen.

ZAQ, when you get a chance, please PM me your phone number.

After the patch they fixed alot of the MKAK issues.

But IMO i think they should fix the horrible audio issues and skippy soundtracks in MK2. Also why the hell does Goro's lair just randomly cut out after 5 seconds?. The arcade games never did this at all. Apart from sound issues the game seems to be okay (not perfect). lol

Tim Static

Adminerator
All of the MKAKs aren't as good as the older releases (MK2/PSN, UMK3/XBL), they aren't as good as Mame and Mame isn't as good as supergun.

Please allow me to bring up Supergun again ^_^. One video adapter for 30$, one power supply for 25$, one Jamma+ harness for 15$ and some audio video cables and you are good to go. We have more than enough knowledgeable arcade techs to help get a good plugnplay setup for controls for PS/XB. TerryMasters MK3fan GoldenOreos

You guys already own all of the expensive parts (the Jamma boards). I have two video adapters that output on SD, Svideo, VGA and Composite and it only ran me around 70$ for both of them shipped and they are even cheaper now. If you want me to mail you my rig to test with for a while, let me know. It's better than dicking around with all of this and the quality is almost as good as it gets for not having to tote around a 200Lb piece of wood.

You even have a way to play MK4 with a supergun.
Zaq, we will talk. I need to get ahold of Terry and GoldenOreos too. We can definitely make this happen.

ZAQ, when you get a chance, please PM me your phone number.
You know, i was gonna bring up superguns but i dozed off on the couch then had to get the kids from school. LOL

Me & Ghaleon were discussing these recently. Zaq we definitely need to get these to work. Either Cabs or Superguns, but the cabs with PSX connectors. (You either play on stick, UMK3 layout with IL parts, or PS1/2 pads, period)

i need 1 UMK3 & 1 MK4 lol