What's new

MKA @ Winter Brawl...It's Better W/ No Rules???

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Those who were at WB this past weekend likely know about the money match between REO and myself in MKA. Yes...we had a money match. I know...that game is so broken. Oddly enough, though...the shit was intense. And extremely fun. I don't think either one of us expected it to be that great, but man.

The rules were simple...first to 10. Only ban was KAK. Everything else went. 10-9 was the result...came down to the last match, last round. Was insanity. It seriously was the best set of matches I ever had in MKA.

Seriously, MKA is better when you don't ban stuff...excluding KAK of course (they basically fall under the console-exclusive character...it's impossible to know how a KAK is designed unless you've played it previously). Don't get me wrong, it's still bad. But the game is more enjoyable. Nothing but KAK is worth banning. You'll see it when the videos hit YouTube, but here's why:

1. Bosses suck. Not joking. Bosses are bad. Even MOB. Boss properties have blessings, but they also have a serious curse. The "boss block" is so terrible...you cannot punish as fast as a normal character, and as such, things end up safer on block vs them. Also, certain lows have better advantage on hit, thus making mid/low mixups on them VERY reliable. Yeah, they can't be thrown. Yeah, they can't be launched like normal. But considering a good portion of the cast have relatively safer mixups vs them, it's not even worth it to pick them. They are bad.

2. Infinites make the game fun. You're forced to play way better than you ever have, because you don't want to be hit. You have to space better. You have to breaker at the right times. If you get hit, it's literally your own fault. Me and REO lost matches because we made mistakes. Nothing was random...we just fucked up and payed for it. And generally, the inf starters are VERY risky to use because of this added factor and them being unsafe. In general the added factor makes things funner.

Once you watch the money match, you'll understand exactly why it was so enjoyable. Seriously, the rules aren't fun anymore for me, and I think the Wii version is ass.

REO

Undead
Bosses really do suck and are overrated, only decent one is Blaze who I'd put near lower side of the high tier or high mid. People just didn't want to find a way to beat them because they would bitch about them not being able to be popped up or thrown. And yeah, with all the bullshit rules gone, instead of the usual "top" 5 characters dominating everyone else, a lot more characters in the cast come into play and become playable.

JagoMIH

Noob
wish i coulda been there to play some more mka...seriously thats my fav mk game so far until we see how mk9 turns out :p

who all did you use?
can't wait for the vids

THTB

First it was my Sareena vs his Moloch, which showcased my first point, then it was Sareena vs Sareena, then my Jade vs his Sareena, which brought up the second point.

Sareena vs Jade becomes a 5-5 match 100%. It was all about who spaced better and who made the better reads. Without that throw infinite, the matchup is like a 7-3. She's losing out on big damage for being able to properly read and instead has to go for mixups all the time. It doesn't really change much for Sareena. Even with the inf, though, the matchup is otherwise 100% the same. It's just the damage changes a lot.

The game is better. More characters become viable. Havik, Kenshi, Bo and Hotaru NEED their infinites to stay competitive because they're ass otherwise, and A/C infs make some characters even more viable, like Mileena and Kira, who need to get in to do anything. Bosses are only difficult matchups for characters who can't mix them up well. And Frost is still terrible anyway. There's a bigger risk to getting hit or getting blocked, and forces you to actually learn to space because it makes the difference. Me and REO probably played so much better than we EVER have because the risk was higher than before.

The Wii version of MKA is a bad game because it removes some of this stuff. I refuse to play that version again. It's PS2 version or nothing.

THTB

http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2941-WB-MKA-MONEY-MATCH-(THTB-VS-REO)

All 4 vids are up now. Final score was 10-9 REO.

Listen clearly to what Tom says at the very end. "There's always an answer to anything." He's 100% right. The breakers are there for a reason and using them wrong means you die if an inf is started, straight up. At times, cornering yourself can save you because some infinites become very tough in the corner. Not to mention, the starters are unsafe as hell. If REO missed a ff1, he got punished. If I misused 4, I got punished...so it wasn't like the infinites weren't foolproof...there were downsides to everything regarding them.

These matches are exactly why the game is better when you just allow everything bar KAK.

not better, just a different level of competition which focuses solely on the ability of top tier characters with the best infinites.

with rules, the level of competition is more balanced, which makes it "better", because then all characters can compete.

either one is just a way of thinking. everyone has their own regarding mka. ACs do no damage after 4. They are mainly used to set up better damage for 3 hit popups, since punishing with jabs is ideal for most characters. Risking the damage with unsafe popups has no place in the game whether theres rules or not. I've preached this for years.

Anyway, you arent breaking the game down any more than i have. You're just playing it a different way then me and others. Just dont pick expect many people to follow you. Just look at all i had to go through for 2 years explaining why ACs are fine. If anything good has come out of this, you now understand that much. My perspecive is i dont want this being seen at tournaments, and characters with infs besides jade off hers are getting just enough damage between ACs and free throws. It just creates a playing field similar to having a meter and the importance of breakers and when to use them. Just because i get hit doesnt mean i have to use them, nor should i be forced to. I know im going to have life after it is done, and that is the same risk/reward as having a meter to manage. Having rules simply makes the game deep. Just look at MKDC. Theres rules there. Why not MKA? Same deal. Its already been broken down by me. I know everything there is to know about it and am just simply giving you 2 years of my life that i spent waking up everday committed to offline while you were busy playing online those 2 years. Im sorry if you dont respect the months it took to come up with those rules, but i was the only one playing the game offline. And to me id rather have a game where all characters can compete rather then just 10-15.

thats about as nice as i can say it you before closing the book on this subject. what you do from here is your choice, but regardless i have moved on from MK in general, so what you do does not concern me. I did what was right for the game, not for 2 guys in a hotel room years after the game is dead. Good luck getting that started. Not here to argue with you. Go do your thing. I just offered my years of work as advice.

Later.