What's new

MKA Character Summaries

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
How is Jade not the best character? What MU's does she actually struggle with?
Raiden for starters and anyone else w/ a fast start-up Teleport for getting out of sticky situations, as well as characters that have better priority up-close than she does. Raiden also beats her up-close in general if they time attacks around the same time. Drahmin, Sareena, Scorpion and few others don't really give her a chance to infinite because of how dominating their up-close fighting is. Considering everyone is using the characters in God-Mode, of course

RoGE

Noob
Kung Lao is a very defensive character that relies heavily on punishment. He has one of the very few low launchers in the game. He has few quick normals that give him many options.

Your main goal with Kung Lao is to land his infinite air combo and you have 3 ways to do that. One way is to mix them up SM:F1 and BS:B3, this is risky however because both moves can be parried. Another way to land his infinite is to punish with his SM:2, if you cancel out of your block at the very first frame you have enough time to punish a good chunk of moves with this. The third way is obviously just to parry then launch afterwards.

Shaolin Fist (SM)
-2 is an amazing move to block cancel out of, if you are quick enough you can catch your opponent out of a jump cancel. If it hits them you get a free F1 launcher
-F1, decent mid launcher, but punishable (like most) by block cancelling. You can use it to mix your opponent up with his other stance's launcher. You can parry shortly after the move is done.
-113cs, comes out pretty quick and can be parry canceled for long range punishes.
-D4, quick low that's safe
-B4, good range and can be parry cancelled. It is pretty unsafe however.

Broadsword (BS)
-B3, a low launcher that is actually punishable if your opponent block cancels quickly. Parry cancel for more range. If the edge of the sword hits, do combo below so your air combo doesn't whiff.
-B3>cs>F1>cs>jump>112113CS4444, the F1 makes the air combo much easier
-F4, semi-safe, decent range. Can be parry cancelled which can be challenging to do at for but it's practical.
-1,1, F3, decent juggle finisher, use this when your opponent is almost dead and you don’t want to risk messing up his infinite. If your execution is good enough, you can use this to extend your air combo in the corner with by jumping out of the very end of the pushback on F3. If timed incorrectly the F3 will whiff, it’s also not too consistent to do in certain stages.
-D2, the preferred unbreakable uppercut, it does more damage than the shaolin fist uppercut. It’s a decent anti-air too.

Air Combat (AC)
-(Broadsword) (air only) 112113CS4444>Jump>repeat, Kung Lao’s main infinite combo, if it is mistimed then usually the 112 part knocks them on the ground. Try not to mash anything in the combo besides 4.
-Don't bother with shaolin fist air combos

Special moves
-db+3, quick but very punishable so don’t use it
-bf+1, It's OKAY, it can crouched and punished by a lot of things. It's only decent at a distance, don't use it at all vs characters like sareena
-du+2, your opponent can crouch this for free, the only follow up after this that can't be crouched is 2, but that's not even a mid.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Good shit RoGE....I have always kinda of thought Lao was under-rated if he wasn't top 10. There's a reason Lao is top 10 and it probably carries over to/from other MK games because his move-set has been the same more-or-less since 1995. Why would one of the most efficient predators on Earth evolve when they don't need to? Kung Lao is a Crocodile or a Great White Shark in the MK Universe, eating up fish :p

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Raiden for starters and anyone else w/ a fast start-up Teleport for getting out of sticky situations, as well as characters that have better priority up-close than she does. Raiden also beats her up-close in general if they time attacks around the same time. Drahmin, Sareena, Scorpion and few others don't really give her a chance to infinite because of how dominating their up-close fighting is. Considering everyone is using the characters in God-Mode, of course
Raiden has to be careful with his teleport, though. It's like MK9, only he dies in this game for teleporting at the wrong time, and it's easier to react to. Also, his staff is really unsafe, so unless he's close, he struggles. He doesn't give Jade that much problems.

Scorpion is probably her hardest matchup. He brutalizes her up close.

KL has really solid punishment and mobility...he's just unsafe.

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm thinking about learning this game. I have the metal cased collectors edition for ps2. I played it back when it was new but I didn't know what I was doing.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Sareena's up close fighting is ass, unless we're talking about online.
Yeah, it's why Scorpion can give her fits. He can double hellfire her to stop her from throwing knives, and then blows her up in close.

It's also why BRC doesn't just die to her.

REO

Undead
lol I love Ba Shan Fan....U guys always liked her weapon, i was one of the only people who was more comfortable in her 1st stance
Ba Shan Fan was death on block. It had one decent mix-up and that was it. At least her weapon stance required knowledge on parry interrupts for it to become ass.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Ba Shan Fan was death on block. It had one decent mix-up and that was it. At least her weapon stance required knowledge on parry interrupts for it to become ass.
Ok, you should just go down the list of what's NOT ass or death on block for everyone lol

REO

Undead
Ok, you should just go down the list of what's NOT ass or death on block for everyone lol
Scorpion - 3
Dairou - u+4 / b+4
Tanya - d+4
Drahmin - b+2 and weapon d+1

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but all of these moves above could be spammed with no worry of parry interrupt or punishment on block.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
BSF is only good for punishment. b1 has less scaling than skull bash.
i gotta disagree w/ that...Sareena was well-rounded, and I gotta remember them but Ba Shan Fan had great mix-ups, u just had to know when to use them, and it was that comfortable medium only when combined w/ the rest of her stuff. Ba Shan Fan alone will get you nowehere, but utilizing all her shit was essential. I was good w/ her, I just played her mad-differently
God I miss my Nan Chuan and Staff.
This I agree with. :p

There are a lot more matches out there but they happen to be online fights. MKA's netcode alters the game drastically to the point where it is a completely different game from the real thing.
Sounds just like this other game I play online...