What's new

MK9: What will be the overall score by game magazines/sites?

I hope around the 9.

For a fighting game you get alot of content compared to say for example street fighter or MvC3.

1 story mode that is around 6-7 hours and the challenge tower.

Also alot of things to unlock.

If the fighting gameplay is solid (what i am expecting it to be) it will be a 9+.

I expect high 8 ratings from gaming mags and sites. My personal ratings are usually completely different from them, so I see them low balling it a bit. Though it's far too early to rate.

If there's anything that reviewers and the meta-critic populace like to see, it's plenty of content. And this new MK has plenty of that in spades. Practically the only thing the game doesn't come with is a free handjob from a ninja girl of your choice.

If MvC3 was able to get pretty high marks, in spite of it being one of the most bare-bones fighting game packages this side of KOFXII, then I see MK doing just fine. It also helps that the game looks to be relatively easy to play, helps you learn how to play and gives you a good deal of gratification of doing flashy/awesome stuff within moments of learning the game's basics.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't really care since half the time they judge things from a casual view and don't break down key elements, but I'm sure GP, GI will do a good job reviewing the game. EGM is garbage for reviews so not even wasting time with their feedback. I'm sure GS and IGN will do ok, I'm betting GS will give it a higher rating then IGN

I think it'll have a 9.0 average or around there...

If there's anything that reviewers and the meta-critic populace like to see, it's plenty of content. And this new MK has plenty of that in spades. Practically the only thing the game doesn't come with is a free handjob from a ninja girl of your choice.
Really? That means the guy at EB Games LIED to me. Right to my face.

On a serious note, I think it's a little early to say. If the fighting mechanic is solid, the game will easily flirt with the 9-range. If the mechanic is broken in some way, all the extra features and replayability in the world aren't going to save it.

It really depends how much has been tweaked since the demo. But from what we've seen, it seems like the 'deepest' MK to come out for a long, long time.

DrDogg

Noob
I could care less about the reviews since there isn't a single reviewer who cares about what I find important in MK9.

That said, most reviews just go with the flow, which means it'll get 8s and 9s based solely on the fact that it looks pretty, has a classic feel and there's a decent amount of single player stuff to do.

I honestly feel the single player modes are a step back from previous MK titles, which should give it a lower score, but that won't happen. Most video game reviewers are a joke these days.

MKF30

How is it a step back though? If anything I'd say it's a step forward with the challenge tower, fatality and gameplay training modes, co-op arcade modes up to 2 player and 4 player tag team offline. I think that's a big improvement IMO.

And the deep storymode is always good in any game, especially for a fighter lol.

I do agree with you though on that they don't cover enough technical gameplay stuff.

MKF30

Yeah, I'm just saying that it's not like there's no other modes to play around with besides the normal single player mode. I do miss Konquest(MKA's version especially) but I do look forward to the story mode, over 3 hours of cinematic video is a nice touch. That's awesome lol that's like mini movie :) I do like the addition of more training mode options. IMO this should be the new standard for any fighter just to get used to you know, especially for the newer player.:)

Eh, reviewers aren't so sheepish that they won't give a bad game the disrespect it deserves

I wonder if we can get Yahtzee Croshaw to review MK9. The most he's done about Mortal kombat is that he predicted MKDC would be awful.

SZSR

Noob
Lol a score of 9.95

Honestly, from what has been leaked (i've been reading the story bit by bit, not the whole things just parts spoken from vignettes) the story mode is gonna be phenomenal. Some who don't like Story in a fighting game aren't gonna like it but that thing just goes into detail about everything.

Challenge tower is probably gonna impress a few, and the fighting from what Check, Tom, Konqrr, Pistol and others have dissected is pretty solid with some minor irks.

The only high 8 I foresee is from IGN who just tends to have a bias against MK games. The rest will most likely be 9's.

Paid presentation, commercial reviews aren't worth the bandwidth they take to view online. But my guess would be an obligatory 8-8.5/10 if the game is sub-par and 9-9.5 if it hits the mark.

...Keeping in mind, hyped games are naturally judged on the '8 to 10 scale' - lol!

MKF30

Lol a score of 9.95

Honestly, from what has been leaked (i've been reading the story bit by bit, not the whole things just parts spoken from vignettes) the story mode is gonna be phenomenal. Some who don't like Story in a fighting game aren't gonna like it but that thing just goes into detail about everything.

Challenge tower is probably gonna impress a few, and the fighting from what Check, Tom, Konqrr, Pistol and others have dissected is pretty solid with some minor irks.

The only high 8 I foresee is from IGN who just tends to have a bias against MK games. The rest will most likely be 9's.
That's what I've read too, the storymode cinematic sequences I heard could be a mini movie lol with over 2 hours of vid? That's awesome. But I just want to try out the other modes too.