What's new

MK9 PC Troubleshooting thread

aj1701

Noob
This thread is meant as the one stop shop for getting issues with mk9 for pc fixed. Post your issues here and hopefully others can help!

I'll start by posting a problem.

The game runs slow. Everything is fine until the actual fight. Using fraps it seems I get at most 40 fps, dropping as low as 20 depending on what's happening. Changing the resolution lower and turning everything off has no effect (same fps).

My system is win8 pro, 12gb ram, Phnom 2 x4 @ 2.3ghz, NVidia gtx 275.

I've tried changing various NVidia settings, no effect (exact same fps). The infuriating part is that using process explorer the GPU uses at most 20% of its power and memory is at most 700mb of the available 896mb on the card.

Any ideas? I can run FO3 fine at high settings... seems like this game just doesn't want to fully utilize the card.

nwo

Noob
If you lowered the graphic settings, and you get the exact same frame rates, you might want to check what your CPU usage is while playing. I don't own the game, but unless its another console hack port, the frame rates should be way higher.

sgZick

Noob
That thread seems the right place to ask. Bought the Steam version on Saturday and am not able to run it since. After inital startup and the DirectX setup I get a "Incorrect Direct 3D version - This game requires Microsoft Direct X9.0 on Windows XP or higher" error window and the game won't open.

I have Windows 7 (64bit) with and ATI Readon Mobile 5XXX card. I reinstalled the latest DirectX and .NET Freamework 4.5 from the Microsoft support page, as well as the latest Catalyst driver suite from the AMD website. All this had no effect, starting MK still leads to an Incorrect Direct3D version error. Hmpf!

I have MK for PS3 but never played it online because here in Singapore it was barely possible with the crappy netcode, wanted the PC version to have some multiplayer fun...

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Are you recording with fraps or do you just have it open and it is showing a yellow fps counter?
Do you have fraps set to limit frame rate on accident?

Have you tried No blood/ disable foreground objects/ tournament mode kombat kodes?

aj1701

Noob
Are you recording with fraps or do you just have it open and it is showing a yellow fps counter?
Do you have fraps set to limit frame rate on accident?

Have you tried No blood/ disable foreground objects/ tournament mode kombat kodes?
Not recording just showing fps. I only got fraps after the fact to check my frame rate. Don't think no blood would matter, its slow as soon as the arena appears after the loading screen.

If you lowered the graphic settings, and you get the exact same frame rates, you might want to check what your CPU usage is while playing. I don't own the game, but unless its another console hack port, the frame rates should be way higher.
I did and mkke takes just over 50% cpu, otherwise the system is mostly idle.

aj1701

Noob
That thread seems the right place to ask. Bought the Steam version on Saturday and am not able to run it since. After inital startup and the DirectX setup I get a "Incorrect Direct 3D version - This game requires Microsoft Direct X9.0 on Windows XP or higher" error window and the game won't open.

I have Windows 7 (64bit) with and ATI Readon Mobile 5XXX card. I reinstalled the latest DirectX and .NET Freamework 4.5 from the Microsoft support page, as well as the latest Catalyst driver suite from the AMD website. All this had no effect, starting MK still leads to an Incorrect Direct3D version error. Hmpf!

I have MK for PS3 but never played it online because here in Singapore it was barely possible with the crappy netcode, wanted the PC version to have some multiplayer fun...
Did you try deleting the mkke folder in your users roaming profile folder? Some of the settings I put in seem to cause it to silently crash.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
This thread is meant as the one stop shop for getting issues with mk9 for pc fixed. Post your issues here and hopefully others can help!

I'll start by posting a problem.

The game runs slow. Everything is fine until the actual fight. Using fraps it seems I get at most 40 fps, dropping as low as 20 depending on what's happening. Changing the resolution lower and turning everything off has no effect (same fps).

My system is win8 pro, 12gb ram, Phnom 2 x4 @ 2.3ghz, NVidia gtx 275.

I've tried changing various NVidia settings, no effect (exact same fps). The infuriating part is that using process explorer the GPU uses at most 20% of its power and memory is at most 700mb of the available 896mb on the card.

Any ideas? I can run FO3 fine at high settings... seems like this game just doesn't want to fully utilize the card.
And that is why I don't play PC games, and also that's why many developers don't make PC games (not to mention PC games are much easier to pirate, hence they lose money on them). Who wants to mess with all this stuff, using Fraps and whatnot, worrying about your system specs, adjusting audio and video settings, installing the game, upgrading your hardware every so often, etc., etc., etc. All I want is to play games. If I have to spend untold amounts of time tweaking and messing around with my PC just to play one game, it ruins the whole point of playing games. Just buy a console, put the disk in and play, period.

Sorry, I am really not trolling. I just really fail to see the point of gaming on a PC.

aj1701

Noob
It might be your CPU. Console ports are notoriously CPU intensive due to poor optimization.
My cpu is only about 54% while the game is running... basically two of the four cores I have are doing almost nothing.

And that is why I don't play PC games, and also that's why many developers don't make PC games (not to mention PC games are much easier to pirate, hence they lose money on them). Who wants to mess with all this stuff, using Fraps and whatnot, worrying about your system specs, adjusting audio and video settings, installing the game, upgrading your hardware every so often, etc., etc., etc. All I want is to play games. If I have to spend untold amounts of time tweaking and messing around with my PC just to play one game, it ruins the whole point of playing games. Just buy a console, put the disk in and play, period.

Sorry, I am really not trolling. I just really fail to see the point of gaming on a PC.
This is the first game I've had trouble with in a long time. And honestly if you're game runs on Xbox it should run on pc as Xbox is nothing more than a specialized windows computer you code against with DirectX.

The flip side of pc gaming is that I can still run games I bought 20 years ago. I'd like to think I'll be able to play my ps3 20 years from now, but somehow I doubt it.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
My cpu is only about 54% while the game is running... basically two of the four cores I have are doing almost nothing.

This is the first game I've had trouble with in a long time. And honestly if you're game runs on Xbox it should run on pc as Xbox is nothing more than a specialized windows computer you code against with DirectX.

The flip side of pc gaming is that I can still run games I bought 20 years ago. I'd like to think I'll be able to play my ps3 20 years from now, but somehow I doubt it.
I can still play my SEGA Genesis, PS1, PS2, and Xbox games.

aj1701

Noob
I can still play my SEGA Genesis, PS1, PS2, and Xbox games.
My nes on the other hand is dead. I think the contacts wore out. The current gen has had far more problems than the systems you mention, it remains to be seen how long they will last. Plus I don't need six different consoles cluttering things up.

Back to the topic though, this thread is to help solve Mk on pc issues, if you don't have any related problems or solutions, please don't post in thus thread and waste peoples time with your feeling on pc gaming. Quite frankly, no one cares about your opinion.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
So you say the fps is dropping at the loading screen to the match. Does the FPS climb back up if you pause the game during the match? Also, what FPS do you get during cutscenes in single player?

aj1701

Noob
So you say the fps is dropping at the loading screen to the match. Does the FPS climb back up if you pause the game during the match? Also, what FPS do you get during cutscenes in single player?
Yes but it maxes out around 40 in the fight. Haven't even tried story mode I've only fired up practice. Everything prior to the loading is 60 fps.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
My nes on the other hand is dead. I think the contacts wore out. The current gen has had far more problems than the systems you mention, it remains to be seen how long they will last. Plus I don't need six different consoles cluttering things up.

Back to the topic though, this thread is to help solve Mk on pc issues, if you don't have any related problems or solutions, please don't post in thus thread and waste peoples time with your feeling on pc gaming. Quite frankly, no one cares about your opinion.
That's your opinion. If you don't want me to respond don't give me a snarky answer.

sgZick

Noob
It might be your CPU. Console ports are notoriously CPU intensive due to poor optimization.

This could be your problem. You're card might not be up to snuff for the game. Are you on a laptop?
This is the official system requirements, I am clearly above each of them, and my laptop has no problems running games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim etc. I tried deleting the MKKD folder, but no effect, still get the same error on starup, so I put it back. Haven't played around with any settings yet, since I couln't start the game at all. The requirements explicitly state the XP and DX9.0 are not supported and you need DX10, but still the game asks me for DX9.0C.
Minimum:
    • Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz | AMD Athlon X2, 2.8 GHz or better
    • Memory:2 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS | AMD Radeon 3850 or better
    • DirectX®:10
    • Hard Drive:10 GB HD space
    • Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection
    • Additional:Windows XP and DirectX® 9.0c and below not supported.
Recommended:
    • Processor:Intel Core i5 750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4GHz or better
    • Memory:4 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950 or better
    • DirectX®:11

mk_steamerror.jpg

This is the official system requirements, I am clearly above each of them, and my laptop has no problems running games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim etc. I tried deleting the MKKD folder, but no effect, still get the same error on starup, so I put it back. Haven't played around with any settings yet, since I couln't start the game at all. The requirements explicitly state the XP and DX9.0 are not supported and you need DX10, but still the game asks me for DX9.0C.
Minimum:
    • Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz | AMD Athlon X2, 2.8 GHz or better
    • Memory:2 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS | AMD Radeon 3850 or better
    • DirectX®:10
Recommended:

• Processor:Intel Core i5 750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4GHz or better
    • Memory:4 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950 or better
    • DirectX®:11

View attachment 6957
The thing about mobile cards though is that they are not the equivalent of thier desktop counterparts. Your mobile 5000 series isn't putting out the same horsepower as a regular 5000 series card. Especially in the case of laptops, some games just flat out will not run on them. I have the same problem with mine.

I would just like to point out again that I'm just guessing at this point as I do not have the game myself (yet).

I have an Intel HD4000 (sony vaio i7 3rd gen, 8GB RAM) and I can play really fast and other times slowly. It should be the scene or the caracters, but I can't "fix" the FPS. The graphics are excelents but it can be maddening the fast speed. If I tune the video settings it can be smooth but suddenly is fast!!!!

I don't know to do! :(