What's new

Mk9 online character tier list

Matix218

Get over here!
Reptile is godlike (dash is safe and spammable)

mileena is amazing (frametraps and harder to punish teleport)

kung lao is stupid (tele spam is almost impossible to punish)

raiden is also annoying with teleport shenanigans that you would not get away with online

Those are the ones that come to mind the most

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
S+ Tier - Sonya / Lao
S Tier - Reptile / Mileena / Raiden / Cage
A Tier - Kabal / Liu Kang / Kitana / Smoke / Subzero / Kenshi / Baraka / Sindel / Skarlet / Freddy / everyone else etc

Wigy

There it is...
S+ Tier - Sonya / Lao
S Tier - Reptile / Mileena / Raiden / Cage
A Tier - Kabal / Liu Kang / Kitana / Smoke / Subzero / Kenshi / Baraka / Sindel / Skarlet / Freddy / everyone else etc
sonya can't do any of her pressure online everything comes out wrong. Don't like using her online compared to offline

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I think Reptile players get away with the most online tbh, but I wouldn't say that he is near the top of the online tier list. Kung Lao and Cage come to mind as the most annoying online characters IMO.

Flagg

Noob
I can still punish a reptile dash with 11 iceball (csz) or a kano upball.

Mileena and Johnny Cage are absolutely ridiculous online.

Matix218

Get over here!

i have never been able to punish a dash online on reaction. Reptile is the absolute worst imo. Ive had reptile players literally just spam dash and I even know its coming and I mash my punish after blocking and I still get hit with another dash...

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
cage gets worse if anything people jumping out of frame traps all day
I see it reversed.

Any aggressive/pressure character is harder to deal with. Pressure strings are basically like BnB's. You can do combos in shitty lag from muscle memory. So you can do pressure as tight as offline if you have the muscle memory, and the defender is trying to react which doesn't work.

Not just rushdown. Aggressive. Noob is way stronger with aggressive zoning.

Besides that, teleporters get a big boost. Safe Teleports flip certain match-ups completely on their heads.

By the way, did PS3 ever start showing bars online? I always got the feeling guys were playing in connections I would never even attempt because you couldn't see the bars ahead of time. To me, only half of the 3-bars were playable. That probably left 90% of players that I wouldn't even bother with.

ChaosTheory

I agree. I always punished Dash with a full combo. Might have to do with what I posted above. I could avoid everything less than three bars on Xbox.

Flagg

Noob
I agree. I always punished Dash with a full combo. Might have to do with what I posted above. I could avoid everything less than three bars on Xbox.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the character fighting against Reptile, @Matix218 , who do you main mostly.

However I find the likes Mileena and Cage horribly frustrating to play. The amount of meter drains ive had, trying to ex special out of his dumb pressure. Characters like Skarlet and Sindel are a lot harder to use online.

Not sure why people mention Kung Lao, he feels no different to me to fight, off or online. I actually think Smoke benefits more online as well, with his pressure being almost Cage like.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
sonya can't do any of her pressure online everything comes out wrong. Don't like using her online compared to offline

Not to mention that a lot of her timing combos have a good chance of the character dropping. I've had easy dash~1 combos with people just falling out. She's still stupidly good online or off but she doesn't get a boost from online.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
Cage and Kabal with them online impossible to poke out of frame traps. Mileena can just do whatever the fuck she wants and get away with it (aside from raw tele and roll). Reptile dash all day yo. Kitana can be really annoying too. Bird Lao.. don't have to add anything there.

ChaosTheory

Not sure why people mention Kung Lao, he feels no different to me to fight, off or online. I actually think Smoke benefits more online as well, with his pressure being almost Cage like.
For me, it's the teleport mainly. Not being able to react and punish makes it like an instant-in for KL. Add that to the general difficulty of getting out of well-timed pressure or counter--poking d3 online and it exacerbates itself. I've played certain guys, like Coosco in Texas, where it was unbelievable how different it felt with a good connection.

The benefit Smoke gets online is making you freeze where you are for fear of not reacting to Smoke Bomb. The more the delay, the more scared you are to let go of block which fuck the entire match.

Matix218

Get over here!
Yeah, I guess it depends on the character fighting against Reptile, @Matix218 , who do you main mostly.

However I find the likes Mileena and Cage horribly frustrating to play. The amount of meter drains ive had, trying to ex special out of his dumb pressure. Characters like Skarlet and Sindel are a lot harder to use online.

I main smoke and the punish I go for is 21~sb and it never works online, I literally eat another dash every time. Dash is -15 on block and im using an 11 frame punisher but frame data is useless online. I am able to punish it offline somewhat consistently but forget it online. The only time I punished a reptile dash online was on my vita (rip vita mk9 online servers...) which always had a way better connection than my ps3 even when the ps3 is hard wired...

And it wasnt screen lag on my ps3, it works fine offline and I have an asus evo monitor

The-Bizzle

You alright mate ?
Reptile is godlike (dash is safe and spammable)

mileena is amazing (frametraps and harder to punish teleport)

kung lao is stupid (tele spam is almost impossible to punish)

raiden is also annoying with teleport shenanigans that you would not get away with online

Those are the ones that come to mind the most
Only with HEAVY lagg , Reptile can abuse his dash against me. Otherwise I give a full punish (30%+).

Mileena is a whore yess....

Kung Lao his teleport is easy to punish with d2 ( not with heavy lagg ).

Raiden his teleport is quite annoying yeah.

Last edited: