• Skarlet

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Liu Kang

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johncage

Noob
MK9 tier list discussion so that there is some discussion about the game that doesn't revolve around a potential remaster so here is what the general tier list for the game was:
S tier:
  1. Kabal
  2. Kenshi
  3. Cyrax
  4. Sonya Blade
A tier:
  1. Johnny Cage
  2. Freddy krueger
  3. Kung Lao
  4. Smoke
  5. Kitana
B tier:
  1. Skarlet
  2. Jax
  3. Liu Kang
  4. Mileena
  5. Reptile
  6. Shang Tsung
  7. Sektor
C tier:
  1. Raiden
  2. Ermac
  3. Rain
  4. Sindel
  5. Baraka
  6. Sub-Zero
D tier:
  1. Scorpion
  2. Cyber Sub-Zero
  3. Noob Saibot
  4. Nightwolf
  5. Quan Chi
F tier:
  1. Stryker
  2. Kano
  3. Jade
  4. Sheeva
This thread was made for the intention of instresting and civil discussion( you can still disagree with others just dont throw out insults).
Thoughts? Any disagreements? Feel free to post your own personal tier list.
I had them in the proper numbers but it changed them so yeah I dont plan to edit the numbers unless people want me to change it.
On post #11 or 12 I have my personal tier list

Last edited:

Johncage

Noob
Yeah there are very few actual viable characters in the game because of how good the S tier characters are.

Johncage

Noob
Kabal could be but I would put kenshi in the same tier as him because kenshi beats half of the cast 7-3 or worse so if you want to put Kabal and Kenshi in the S+ tier I wouldn't disagree

Johncage

Noob
Kenshi did have a bad match up with kabal and he had 3 5-5's and kabal also did have a quite abit of 7-3's in his favour as well and also won every match up in the game so yeah kabal probably was in a tier of his own with kenshi being the best character in the next tier.any other disagreements you have with the tier list

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Kenshi did have a bad match up with kabal and he had 3 5-5's and kabal also did have a quite abit of 7-3's in his favour as well and also won every match up in the game so yeah kabal probably was in a tier of his own with kenshi being the best character in the next tier.any other disagreements you have with the tier list
Kenshi also lost to Kung Lao. I think Freddy beat him too but idr
Na that was the only one that was standing out to me. Everything looks right from what I remember

Johncage

Noob
About freddy I think that was a 5-5 and for the kung lao match up pig said it was a 5-5 but pig also called the kabal match up 5-5 so I dont know lao kenshi probably was 6-4 in lao's favour but I didnt play lao or kenshi so I dont have any personal experience to say if it was 5-5 or 6-4 in lao's favour so I will take your word for it that it was 6-4 lao

Komatose

The Prettiest
Decent but I think Liu Kang, Jade and Scorpion should be placed at least one tier higher than where they are listed. Still think the list is pretty accurate though.

Johncage

Noob
Liu definitly coule be along with shang be moved up to the A tier for Jade she was full of highs had no pratical damage and couldnt zone and the only good thing about her was her glow on wake up and for scorpion his issue was for him to actually do anything he had to big risks but he did have a good vortex just super unsafe on block of the opponet guessed correctly and iirc his d1 and d3 were both minus on hit so he was really bad at counter poking but when I have time i will release a personal tier list of where I felt the characters belong at the highest level

Johncage

Noob
My personal tier list:

S+ tier:
  1. Kabal
  2. Kenshi
S tier:
  1. Cyrax
  2. Sonya
A tier:
  1. Freddy Krueger
  2. Johnny Cage
  3. Smoke
  4. Kitana
  5. Shang Tsung
  6. Skarlet
  7. Kung Lao
B tier:
  1. Sektor
  2. Liu Kang
  3. Mileena
  4. Reptile
  5. Jax
  6. Ermac
C tier:
  1. Rain
  2. Sindel
  3. Raiden
  4. Sub-Zero
  5. Baraka
D tier:
  1. Scorpion
  2. Cyber Sub-Zero
  3. Quan Chi
  4. Nightwolf
  5. Noob Saibot
F tier:
  1. Stryker
  2. Kano
  3. Jade
  4. Sheeva
Thoughts?Would like to spark a discussion so feel free to post your own personal tier list and any disagreements you have about my personal tier list.

Last edited:
Who do you guys think would dominate if the four s tier characters were not allowed??

smoke and Johnny could be the new s tier IMO

also I think a loooooooot of these characters would be viable with no s tier allowed. Like just not allow them for fun.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
How is Smoke not already S tier with his reset? Random factor be damned, I always remembered this character being considered top 5.

Kenshi, Kabal, Sonya, Smoke, and Freddy.

Johncage

Noob
Johnny would be the best character in then game the Lao and Smoke would be #2 and #3 but it would change the tier list quite abit since many character would lose their they lose 3-7 for example Johnny has 2 mach ups he loses 3-7 the 2 characters that do that are Kenshi and Kabal which are both S tier characters so with them being banned Johnny's worst match ups he would lose would 4-6 now for characters who would keep the 3-7 bad match ups for Freddy would move down the tier list quite abit since Freddy has 1 match that he loses 3-7 the character that does is Smoke which is A tier character so Smoke wouldnt get banned so since Freddy would keep the match up he loses 3-7 he would go down the tier list by quite abit

Last edited:

Johncage

Noob
xWildx he isnt top 5 because the moves that lead to his 100% resets are pretty slow and he wasnt as oppresive as the S tier characters and also had a losing 3-7 match up none if the S tier characters lost a match up 3-7.You also forgot that Cyrax was top 5 and had a better reset along with a command grab an unblockable bomb, a better corner game and was much quicker frame data wise

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I still think to this day, Skarlet was much better than Kitana overall, so i would place her over Kitana and Kung Lao.
Skarlet really bad MU were Cyrax which was a 7-3 due the risk factor always be against her, Cage and to an extent Freddy, Kabal was hard but he was manageable, as Skarlet could also consistently punish Saw which was -14 on block, jab out of NDC cancels into a full combo punish, disable flash parry with her own dashes, and condition his wakeup, and as much as disabling the entire option to wakeup against anyone at cost of nothing.

Kung Lao couldn't poke back with his best buttons because her D3 hitbox was so low, that would often avoid a good majority of mids, there were very few mids that could touch D3 on top of having a much better armored special than mosty of the cast, that could be extended with a safe low, a reactable 18F launcher and a 13F unreactable overhead launcher.

Johncage

Noob
I could definitly see skarlet being above kitana because iirc kitana had either no armor or not very good armor and skarlet as u said had a 13f armored launcher but the main reason I put kitana abover her is because Kitana has better range, higher combo damage, better zoning, and with her range she also had disjointed hitboxes and I might move lao lower on my tier list becasue d3 and d4 can be a huge issue for him

Johncage

Noob
Just edited my tier list to put Lao at bottom of A tier because he struggles to d3 and d4 and low hurtboxes could avoid his standing 2 just by duck blocking iirc

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I could definitly see skarlet being above kitana because iirc kitana had either no armor or not very good armor and skarlet as u said had a 13f armored launcher but the main reason I put kitana abover her is because Kitana has better range, higher combo damage, better zoning, and with her range she also had disjointed hitboxes and I might move lao lower on my tier list becasue d3 and d4 can be a huge issue for him
I used to like that about Kitana, she was a power house with a unique range on F2.
But skarlet damage wasn't slouch either, as she could do 40% or over if ppl wanted it, it' just that many skarlet players opted more for the restand due she having the best chip in the game, which wasn't a bad call either, considering she was also the best at building meter for it.

Johncage

Noob
Yeah since she got I think around 10-15% chup for a bar and it wasnt bad meterless chip either so I'm going to go put her in A tier above Lao but below Liu

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
This the final MK9 tier list with everyone's (Reo, Detroit, xSmokex, MIT, DJT, Mike Metroid, Dab, AtK, Me, etc) input from 2017. I think it is fairly accurate