What's new

MK9 10 year anniversary is coming up in 2021. Revival/backwards compatibility? Remake?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I hope they port it to current consoles. I don't want it but I know a lot of people do and I would love to see new players reactions to it...mainly asking why some of you talk it up as the pinnacle of NRS fighting games ;)

Jbog

Noob
Its hand down the most fun game balcane is shit but game is FUN! Theyll never re-release it because if they did and patched a few things netcode infinite bugs wveryone would see how big of jokes theyre new improvements are. I mean seriously this game had stage fatalities!!! Who dont love those and babalities!!it was really what brought nrs back from their 3d poor excuse for fighting gamea

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If games like MVC2and Deception taught me anything it's that balance is overrated. Just give MK 9 a patch or two more with current netcode and you're all set.

Just give MK 9 a patch or two more with current netcode and you're all set.
It's nice that people think this will happen, but in the real world it's an almost certain that it won't.

As has been mentioned in various videos/talks etc., updating the netcode isn't just a case of pulling out one bit of code and replacing it with the new stuff. There's a lot that has to change in the base game to make it viable.

It's one thing for them to do it for MKX while it was still current and use that going forwards in their new games. But to go backwards and spend the same amount of time on MK9, as much as it was loved & spending time on patching... yeah, not going to happen.

But if they feel like adding some MK9 inspired skins to MK11, i'd be all up for that.

I seriously don't get the clamoring for MK9, you can literally play it on ps4 and the graphics are solid enough to just play it in its current form. Give me MK Gold instead, a game that should've not been Dreamcast exclusive. So many people got screwed out of a expanded roster that it's the only remake I really want. MK Trilogy era just needs to stay in the past, too basic for me, get no fun out of it anymore.

The 3D era games are just not going to happen, MK4 luckily was not a part of the Midway collapse as you can see the reluctance to include characters from any game post MK4. From MK4 we've had Quan Chi, Shinnok, Tanya and soon Fujin. Reiko still has a chance and then we only need Kai since Jarek is just a Kano ripoff. From all 3D games's newcomers we've only had Bo Rai Cho & Frost. So while I'd love a Deception remake, give me Gold and I'm golden ;)

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
NRS will do absolutely nothing.

At best they'll release some stupid Towers of Time that will unlock some shitty Cassie skin.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I seriously don't get the clamoring for MK9, you can literally play it on ps4 and the graphics are solid enough to just play it in its current form. Give me MK Gold instead, a game that should've not been Dreamcast exclusive. So many people got screwed out of a expanded roster that it's the only remake I really want. MK Trilogy era just needs to stay in the past, too basic for me, get no fun out of it anymore.

The 3D era games are just not going to happen, MK4 luckily was not a part of the Midway collapse as you can see the reluctance to include characters from any game post MK4. From MK4 we've had Quan Chi, Shinnok, Tanya and soon Fujin. Reiko still has a chance and then we only need Kai since Jarek is just a Kano ripoff. From all 3D games's newcomers we've only had Bo Rai Cho & Frost. So while I'd love a Deception remake, give me Gold and I'm golden ;)
MK4 is awful.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Theyll never re-release it because if they did and patched a few things netcode infinite bugs wveryone would see how big of jokes theyre new improvements are.
I feel like the opposite would happen.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
They probably won't do that. But, having the option to play the game on the new consoles online would be fun.

MKF30

It's nice that people think this will happen, but in the real world it's an almost certain that it won't.

As has been mentioned in various videos/talks etc., updating the netcode isn't just a case of pulling out one bit of code and replacing it with the new stuff. There's a lot that has to change in the base game to make it viable.

It's one thing for them to do it for MKX while it was still current and use that going forwards in their new games. But to go backwards and spend the same amount of time on MK9, as much as it was loved & spending time on patching... yeah, not going to happen.

But if they feel like adding some MK9 inspired skins to MK11, i'd be all up for that.
You never know, just think they brought back the first 3 MK games which sure it took them years and most especially the younger gen don't even care about them or laugh even at them. MK 9 was a key game in entire franchise since it brought back both classic MK player while attracting new ones and ones who play FG just to compete. Not many games can do that. I'm not convinced it won't, maybe right now sure but in the future it's quite possible.

Of course, never said it would be easy but there's already been examples like the older MK's for one, the Halo collection among many other redone versions of older games that came out great. It just takes hard work, do I think it's easy? No. But possible? Yes.

It's not like MK 9 is 30 years old or something, the game is literally 10 years old. Which is a decent age but not THAT old so much that they can't work on it, I mean hell some guy on here literally created a modded, improved version of MK 9. If a dude who doesn't even work for NRS can do that much, NRS can do it if they care to. But time will tell.

MK4 is awful.
It's not the best MK game, granted but it's not the worst either. It's a lot more competitive than the 3D MK's and in some ways even more than MK 11.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I would sell my soul to devil, again, for this game to hit ps4 with solid netcode. The very same day, I'd order a 12 pack toilet paper, with MK11 custom print, and enjoy every wipe, like never before.

MKF30

I would sell my soul to devil, again, for this game to hit ps4 with solid netcode. The very same day, I'd order a 12 pack toilet paper, with MK11 custom print, and enjoy every wipe, like never before.
Amen to that, I have Xbox and Switch imagine if they made it for all 4 with krossplay? Good night MK 11 lol

MKF30

Yeah dude because MK 11's totally balanced and has awesome hitboxes among other questionable mechanics. I have to admit, the more posts I read on here about MK 9 the more I wonder how it destroyed MK 11 in my poll, perhaps I'm not as alone as I thought.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah dude because MK 11's totally balanced and has awesome hitboxes among other questionable mechanics. I have to admit, the more posts I read on here about MK 9 the more I wonder how it destroyed MK 11 in my poll, perhaps I'm not as alone as I thought.
There is no comparison between the balance of MK9 and MK11. Constantly trying to push this just makes one look foolish.

It is possible to both like MK9’s gameplay and admit that the balance was by far the most lopsided we’ve had in the modern 2D era.

I greatly enjoyed MK9 but we need to be real about it too. It’s not even close.

I rather have:

fun gameplay, good roster, babality‘s, stage fatality’s, tag team, no variations, simple meter mechanics, MK chars for DLC, combo diversity, classic cheats, more colour..

over a boring balanced game. MK11 is not even close in the top 3 best MK games. MK9 is actually top 3 or close.

It’s a matter of taste after all. But if your a fan of MK you must appreciate atleast all that MK9 offered