What's new

MK3 Tier List Discussion

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah gameplay wise MK3 for PC is fantastic.

The only things I ever noticed about it being poor were certain graphics, very specific stuff like the energy bar names which might have been done with system text and not graphics or something weird ilke that. Mostly the game looked pixelated but I'm not sure if that could be fixed. Also for some reason the blood looked strange, and fell in reverse. On my very old Pentium 75 it would also play substitute sound effects here and there. Kabal infamous "Hey!" when he gets hit.

The MK3 Genesis port (not sure about UMK3, never played the Genesis version but I assume they're similar) was a LARGE improvement over the Genesis versions of 1 and II. Might have had something to do with Acclaim not developing the game anymore.

I think Williams did a much better job with the MK3 and UMK3 ports for Genesis than Acclaim did for the first two. The graphics and sound are closer to the arcade than the first two ports were. It has more frames of animation too (even more than the SNES port). The music also better. The first two ports could of been as good as the SNES port as far as graphics and sound goes but Acclaim just did a sloppy job.

dreemernj

Ambassador
As far as graphics and sound, there was no way to make the gensis version look as good as the snes version. The system simply couldn't do it.

But the gensis port did play closer to arcade. It was still very far off. All the 16bit versions suck. At their best, they are still far from being competitive in any way.

SF2 for the Genesis had identical graphics to the SNES port. As broken as the 16-bit ports of MK3 and UMK3 are, they're still probably the best fighting games on both systems.

Looking at this thread shows alot of misleading things. So you're saying Stryker without the riot gun is weaker then in UMK3? BULL Stryker is one of the more powerful characters in the game. HK, HP, HP, LP, aaHP, aaLP, Flying swatter thing something near 35%-40% of damage. Sheeva deserves to be higher then shang tsung. Shang Tsung is slower then UMK3/MKT plus Sheeva has her throw, c.LK, Uppercut and her other throw variations in the corner that could easily take Shang Tsung down. Sindel deserves to be higher, one of the only 5 characters to have a pop-up combo and plus her inf does atleast 3-5 hits that could be easy damage. Correct me if i'm wrong with this but i tested some of these things out.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Looking at this thread shows alot of misleading things. So you're saying Stryker without the riot gun is weaker then in UMK3? BULL Stryker is one of the more powerful characters in the game. HK, HP, HP, LP, aaHP, aaLP, Flying swatter thing something near 35%-40% of damage. Sheeva deserves to be higher then shang tsung. Shang Tsung is slower then UMK3/MKT plus Sheeva has her throw, c.LK, Uppercut and her other throw variations in the corner that could easily take Shang Tsung down. Sindel deserves to be higher, one of the only 5 characters to have a pop-up combo and plus her inf does atleast 3-5 hits that could be easy damage. Correct me if i'm wrong with this but i tested some of these things out.
This is an example of why not anyone can rate character abilities. We appreciate your input because even if it's silly, we can still can talk about why it's not exactly thorough and it sheds more light on the characters, but nothing posted here is "misleading." Stryker is absolutely 100% totally and completely weaker in MK3 than in UMK3. That is a fact. Shang can spam fireballs all in MK3. Jumping starters to combos really help some with popups in UMK3 and without them in MK3, characters suffer.

Bidle

Noob
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I ques it also depends on the skill of the user... right? I'm new in the game, but some moves are just to dificult. So I looked at the character with the most simpel combo's and special moves.

Already asked it somewhere else, but is there an introduction topic on this forum? Cause I'm looking for persons who are less skilled then the die-hards on XboX Live.... At the moment it is just not fun any more; flawless victory, fatality, etc. ;)

This is an example of why not anyone can rate character abilities. We appreciate your input because even if it's silly, we can still can talk about why it's not exactly thorough and it sheds more light on the characters, but nothing posted here is "misleading." Stryker is absolutely 100% totally and completely weaker in MK3 than in UMK3. That is a fact. Shang can spam fireballs all in MK3. Jumping starters to combos really help some with popups in UMK3 and without them in MK3, characters suffer.
Who cares about rating character abilities. If Marvel vs Capcom, X-men:Children of the Atom, Breakers Revenge, Bloody Roar, Last Blade was about rating character abilities, then the Boss would automatically be on top. How can you actually say Strykler is that much percent weak? Shang Tsung can spam his fireballs in every game, still doesn't mean anything. Some people need the jump starters ( Shang Tsung) but thats not more damage. Actually thats least damage done with the Jump starter then without it. The only time I use a jump starter is if its really necessary, but just to throw it out there for no 5%-10% of damage to be knocked off its not worth the time or effort.

Gogata

Noob
My top 15(In order):
1. Shang Tsung - He can morph into anyone, so you can chain combos with several characters in one go! The possibilities are huge, but without morphing, he is one of the lower tier characters. You can still do some neat stuff with the Ground Eruption and the fireballs though.
2. Kabal - He is a beast in UMK3, but he is even better in MK3! Higher damage and more combo variations work. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J0x_5HJaWk - Those saws can't chain in UMK3.
3. Smoke - Used to be my favourite. He has combos ranging from fairly easy like Teleport. Spear, to improved versions of those like Teleport. aaHP. Spear to insane corner combos and punishers. Some of his punishers do ridicilous damage and his corner combos are really good, too. His spear is great.
4. Sindel - She has a nice, basic midscreen combo similar to Kabal's "version" which can be improved with 2 aaHP attacks. You can also do some crazier stuff with a jump kick after the pop up. After an aaHP you can do several FFF+HP scream moves for really high damage. Her corner combos aren't much better unless you use the flight cancel, which is really hard(aaHP. BBF+HK. Block. Repeat...). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDk92mmjKBo
5. Nightwolf - It's great that you can use his axe in a dial combo, something they added in MK4. On some characters you can do several of those attacks and end neatly with a shoulder charge. You can even do 100% combos in certain situations like that. Best way I can think of is morphing into him after Shang Tsung's Ground Erruption.
6. Kano - He has some pretty powerful combos. They can be pretty darn insane when using his cannon ball to add more damage. His mandhandle(DF+X) move can be used to chain the cannon ball.
7. Sub Zero - His ice clone is brilliant! Can't use it in UMK3 like in MK3. Creating one in the air and then knocking the opponent into it opens some cool juggling possibilities, which aren't that high midscreen, but they are still cool. His true highlight however, is his corner potential. You can definitely do several 100% combos there. You can even start with a throw! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRprMC0zXU - Compare it with this UMK3 variation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6myyafBC0ww
8. Cyrax - This guy has too many very high damage combos. His bombs can be used to build up some insane combos, but some set ups are almost impossible in high level matches. Still, it's fun to do them when practicing. You can also start some chains with his throws and his air throw is nice after some anti air juggling. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTO1WBgtYo0
9. Sektor - You might not agree here, but he shares some combos with Smoke. But instead of using a spear you usually end the combo with a rocket. His launch combo is nice for jump attack/rush starters, but you can't chain much after that unless you're near the corner. He still has some really high corner combos that only use his teleport punch, so he shares those with Smoke. Also, his homing missile can be used for some cool chains as well.
10. Stryker - He has several infinite varities in the corner and a midscreen one. I don't use them, but they are the easiest infinites I know in this game, however, I just prefer ending with a bomb shot.
11. Jax - I barely use him, but after his insanely long combo you can chain a lot of cool stuff in the corner. You can also chain a sweep after his shorter combo midscreen or a ground pound after his really long combo which takes a lot of damage. Other than that you mostly rely on punishers, but they are insane in the corner.
12. Kung Lao - I hate doing his spin move, but it's useful if you wanna start his infinite, which I don't use anyway. I prefer doing the dive trick once or twice and then ending with the hat throw. That move can be used to chain even more attacks in the corner and his teleport kick can be as well.
13. Sonya - Don't really like her, but there's a bit potential after her pop-up. Her leg grab takes a lot of damage.
14. Sheeva - To be honest, I like her more than some of the characters above, but she doesn't have that many combo possibilities. Her long dial combo does a lot of damage and you can chain the ground slam after that. Her pop up is useful and you can chain a simple jugle with a fireball or a roundhouse followed by a ground slam at the end. It's nice that you can also do stuff after her throw. Fighting her sucks cause of her collision mask, but that just gives her a little advantage.
15. Liu Kang - He does not have a pop-up move in MK3 which makes him even more useless for me. He doesn't really do high damage and to be honest, I haven't really tried him much, so here he is, at spot 15.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
My top 15(In order):
1. Shang Tsung - He can morph into anyone, so you can chain combos with several characters in one go! The possibilities are huge, but without morphing, he is one of the lower tier characters. You can still do some neat stuff with the Ground Eruption and the fireballs though.
2. Kabal - He is a beast in UMK3, but he is even better in MK3! Higher damage and more combo variations work. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J0x_5HJaWk - Those saws can't chain in UMK3.
3. Smoke - Used to be my favourite. He has combos ranging from fairly easy like Teleport. Spear, to improved versions of those like Teleport. aaHP. Spear to insane corner combos and punishers. Some of his punishers do ridicilous damage and his corner combos are really good, too. His spear is great.
4. Sindel - She has a nice, basic midscreen combo similar to Kabal's "version" which can be improved with 2 aaHP attacks. You can also do some crazier stuff with a jump kick after the pop up. After an aaHP you can do several FFF+HP scream moves for really high damage. Her corner combos aren't much better unless you use the flight cancel, which is really hard(aaHP. BBF+HK. Block. Repeat...). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDk92mmjKBo
5. Nightwolf - It's great that you can use his axe in a dial combo, something they added in MK4. On some characters you can do several of those attacks and end neatly with a shoulder charge. You can even do 100% combos in certain situations like that. Best way I can think of is morphing into him after Shang Tsung's Ground Erruption.
6. Kano - He has some pretty powerful combos. They can be pretty darn insane when using his cannon ball to add more damage. His mandhandle(DF+X) move can be used to chain the cannon ball.
7. Sub Zero - His ice clone is brilliant! Can't use it in UMK3 like in MK3. Creating one in the air and then knocking the opponent into it opens some cool juggling possibilities, which aren't that high midscreen, but they are still cool. His true highlight however, is his corner potential. You can definitely do several 100% combos there. You can even start with a throw! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRprMC0zXU - Compare it with this UMK3 variation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6myyafBC0ww
8. Cyrax - This guy has too many very high damage combos. His bombs can be used to build up some insane combos, but some set ups are almost impossible in high level matches. Still, it's fun to do them when practicing. You can also start some chains with his throws and his air throw is nice after some anti air juggling. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTO1WBgtYo0
9. Sektor - You might not agree here, but he shares some combos with Smoke. But instead of using a spear you usually end the combo with a rocket. His launch combo is nice for jump attack/rush starters, but you can't chain much after that unless you're near the corner. He still has some really high corner combos that only use his teleport punch, so he shares those with Smoke. Also, his homing missile can be used for some cool chains as well.
10. Stryker - He has several infinite varities in the corner and a midscreen one. I don't use them, but they are the easiest infinites I know in this game, however, I just prefer ending with a bomb shot.
11. Jax - I barely use him, but after his insanely long combo you can chain a lot of cool stuff in the corner. You can also chain a sweep after his shorter combo midscreen or a ground pound after his really long combo which takes a lot of damage. Other than that you mostly rely on punishers, but they are insane in the corner.
12. Kung Lao - I hate doing his spin move, but it's useful if you wanna start his infinite, which I don't use anyway. I prefer doing the dive trick once or twice and then ending with the hat throw. That move can be used to chain even more attacks in the corner and his teleport kick can be as well.
13. Sonya - Don't really like her, but there's a bit potential after her pop-up. Her leg grab takes a lot of damage.
14. Sheeva - To be honest, I like her more than some of the characters above, but she doesn't have that many combo possibilities. Her long dial combo does a lot of damage and you can chain the ground slam after that. Her pop up is useful and you can chain a simple jugle with a fireball or a roundhouse followed by a ground slam at the end. It's nice that you can also do stuff after her throw. Fighting her sucks cause of her collision mask, but that just gives her a little advantage.
15. Liu Kang - He does not have a pop-up move in MK3 which makes him even more useless for me. He doesn't really do high damage and to be honest, I haven't really tried him much, so here he is, at spot 15.

Who cares about rating character abilities. If Marvel vs Capcom, X-men:Children of the Atom, Breakers Revenge, Bloody Roar, Last Blade was about rating character abilities, then the Boss would automatically be on top. How can you actually say Strykler is that much percent weak? Shang Tsung can spam his fireballs in every game, still doesn't mean anything. Some people need the jump starters ( Shang Tsung) but thats not more damage. Actually thats least damage done with the Jump starter then without it. The only time I use a jump starter is if its really necessary, but just to throw it out there for no 5%-10% of damage to be knocked off its not worth the time or effort.

What Planet do these guys come from? It doesn't even sound like they are talking about the same game. LOL, That is proably the WORST MK3 tier list I have ever seen.

Gogata

Noob
Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I haven't really learned Jax well enough to put him higher in my list. That's my personal list, the character ranks are placed in an order when I play ^^.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Oh and by the way, sorry, Stryker doesn't have that gun in MK3, I forgot. So Jax goes 1 up =P.

Ok, a tier list isn't based on your opinion. It is collectively made through years of gameplay based on 2 players of equal skill for every match up as well as how useful/dominant their moves are to playstyle. If you take 2 players of equal skill and put Sub-Zero against Stryker, Sub will win almost everytime. If Stryker is winning, that means the Stryker-player is obviously the better player, thus both players are not of equal skill.

Your list is more of a "My personal favorites" rather than a serious tier list.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ok, a tier list isn't based on your opinion. It is collectively made through years of gameplay based on 2 players of equal skill for every match up as well as how useful/dominant their moves are to playstyle. If you take 2 players of equal skill and put Sub-Zero against Stryker, Sub will win almost everytime. If Stryker is winning, that means the Stryker-player is obviously the better player, thus both players are not of equal skill.

Your list is more of a "My personal favorites" rather than a serious tier list.
^^This, to a T.

Except Sub 10-0 over Stryker in MK3 LOL. :p

well Sub 10-0 vs everyone in MK3 :(

Hello i just wanted to introduce myself i am an mk fan from texas

Cyrax may be a low tier character but he's got some crazy combos