What's new

MK2 Tournament - Shao Kahn's Treasure Quest w/ $300 in Cash & Prizes!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
It gives me great pleasure to announce the latest edition of our MK2 online tournaments: Shao Kahn's Treasure Quest. Thanks to a very generous donation from TYM user Ththuvhul (and a smaller one by myself,) we will be giving away cash and prizes totaling $300! Players who enter the actual tournament and place in the top 3-4 spots will be eligible to win cash prizes potentially as high as $125. But that's not where it ends...
Non-players and spectators alike can also get in on the action. One hour before the tournament begins, we will be opening up a side-game / side-bet where the winner will receive a $50 Gamestop gift card. Whoever can correctly guess the winner of the tournament, character they will be using in the final match, and the stage it occurs on, will win the gift card!
Here are instructions for entering the chat room:​
CHAT ROOM
When you enter the chatroom, do the following:
1. Enter your username
2. Wait for the room to load
3. Once room appears, enter the following text then hit enter (without quotes)
"/join #MK2"
Reminder.... the tournament begins at...
7pm Eastern time
6pm Central time
5pm Mountain time
4pm Pacific time
DATE: Saturday, April 6, 2013
TIME: 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific)
Please note - this is a USA PS3 only tournament. If you do not reside in the US, you will not be permitted to enter due to lag concerns. Matches can be played either on MKAK(default) or the original PSN MK2 release (aka OG MK2.)
TOURNAMENT FORMAT
This is going to be a 4 on 4 Survivor Series style elimination match. Each player creates a team of 4 characters. They can choose one character apiece from the different tier lists.
  • Top tier - Liu, Mileena, Jax
  • High Mid - Lao, Kitana, Shang
  • Low Mid - Raiden, Scorpion, Baraka
  • Low - Cage, Sub, Rep
From there, the players start with their lowest tiered character. If they lose, they are forced to move up to the next tier level. The match ends when the entire team is knocked out.
  • Once you select a character from a specific tier level, you are stuck with that character and may not switch between other equivalent characters in the same tier.
  • You are permitted to create an entirely new team when facing a different opponent.
  • Morphing into top tier as Shang Tsung is prohibited.
  • If you wish, you may attempt to activate the battle with Smoke while battling on the Portal stage. If you manage to defeat Smoke, you gain an automatic match victory. If you lose, you are automatically DQ'd from the entire tournament. This rule does NOT apply to winner/loser/grand finals (if double elim) or semi-final/finals (if single-elim.)
PRIZES
  • If less than 16 entrants signup, prizes will be paid out to the top 3 players. Distribution will be 50%, 30%, 20%. If more than 16 entrants signup, prizes will be paid out to the top 4 players. Distribution in that case would be 50%, 20%, 20%, 10%.
  • One hour before the tournament begins, a side-bet will open to all non-players and spectators. Whoever can correctly predict the tournament winner, character won with, and the stage won on, gets a $50 Gamestop gift card.
  • For the side-game and non-players, only one guess per non-player is permitted. No duplicate guesses are allowed. If somebody else has already made a choice before hand (ie: Zaq will win with Shang on the Pit stage) then that non-player is the only one permitted to have that pick.
  • You are permitted to enter the actual tournament AND place a bet on who you think will win. However, if you are fortunate enough to make it to the winner, loser, or grand finals, you will be ineligible to win the gift card.
GENERAL RULES
  • Double elimination
  • All participants will need to access the TYM Chat during tournament play to report their match scores and setup their games with opponents.If you cannot access the TYM Chat during tourney play, you cannot enter the tournament.
  • You, yourself, must post in this thread and declare your entry to the tournament. Do not message me through PM, PSN, or through someone else. By posting your intent to enter in this thread, it shows you are a TYM member and you will check the thread for updates rather than relying on us to tell you.
  • All entrants are responsible for checking this thread regularly for updates; including dates, times, and match brackets.
  • If connection breaks then both players must restart the match with the same characters (prior round win is omitted). If the breaking connection is suspicious like breaking right before a victory then the player has a right to report it.
  • In the case of lag, keep trying. If after a few tries the connection is not good, please report back to the chat room IMMEDIATELY and a new matchup may be made for you with another opponent. Bear in mind this only applies to first round matches.
  • You are permitted to quit on account of lag after the first match without being faulted if it is unplayable. After the 2nd match is started you must continue the rest of your remaining matches even if lag begins to creep in. You must notify your opponent you are quitting due to lag and report it ASAP in the chat room in order to get a new opponent. Otherwise, you may both be disqualified. Therefore it is best to play early in case you may need to swap opponents as there may be no available opponents left if all matchups have been played. This lag exception ONLY applies to first round matches. All subsequent rounds MUST be played regardless of lag.
  • If you need to withdraw from the tournament, please give advance notice (at least 24 hours if possible) as a courtesy. Repeated no shows will result in being blacklisted from future competitions.
  • If you are currently banned from the Kombat Network, you are not permitted to enter the tournament OR make bets on who the winner of the tournament will be.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • All participants will have a 10 minute grace period to show up in the chat room for the start of the tournament. If the player has not arrived by that time, they will be completely disqualified.
  • Failing to post score results of a match in the chat, voluntarily quitting in the middle of a match (except for a 1-time lag exception) or at any time in the tournament, any sort of suspicious activity (impersonation, ban evasion, etc), or anything else deemed inappropriate or unsportsmanlike is grounds for disqualification. The staff reserves the right to disqualify a player at any time.
  • If you use Shang Tsung and accidentally morph into top tier, you forfeit that particular ROUND. If a top tier morph happens again at any time throughout the tournament, Shang Tsung is declared dead and the player must move to the next tier level.
  • If the Smoke battle has been triggered and the opposing player interrupts the match at any time by pressing start, that player is automatically disqualified and placed into the loser bracket (or eliminated.)
  • If a player is DQ'ed then a reserve will be used. If there is no reserve then the player will receive a bye.
One last thing: Video recordings are not required, but definitely appreciated!

BRACKET LINK
SIGNUPS (minimum of 8 players required)
1. DanCock
2. Louie_Moo
6. DreamTR
10. john2kx
12. btbb99
14. MKillBill
16. Edfig81
(we will add more slots if interest is big enough)
RESERVES

Man, if I had a PS3, I'd enter this. I may not be great at MK2, but there's money on the line, you'd be a fool to not enter this tournament if you play MK2 on any level.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
For the record, I don't know if I will be able to enter at the moment since I may be needed to run the brackets if this becomes huge.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
OK thanks i'll get both just in case some type of problem arises, cause i only have it for xbox, but no biggie both are cheap thanks
If you don't already have MK2 on PSN, it's unlikely you will be able to download it at this time since it was taken off the PSN Store once MKAK got released.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
You don't need to post your team, you can just choose it live as the game unfolds.
They all come runnin' when there are cash prizes ;) I guess that's the point, EXCELLENT!
I'm in, obviously.

So you can change your Team from match to match?
i.e. vs Zaq I use Jax, Lao, Scorpion and Cage, but vs you I can use Mileena, Kitana, Raiden, and Reptile?
The thought of this tournament is making me salivate....

Reactions: MKB

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
They all come runnin' when there are cash prizes ;) I guess that's the point, EXCELLENT!
I'm in, obviously.

So you can change your Team from match to match?
i.e. vs Zaq I use Jax, Lao, Scorpion and Cage, but vs you I can use Mileena, Kitana, Raiden, and Reptile?
The thought of this tournament is making me salivate....
Correct. Your team can change from match to match. I'll add that to the rules.