What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Sub Zero VS Liu Kang

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
If you like aggression, you'll like this matchup...

Kang's usual arsenal of fireballs, especially low ones, will work very well here provided you don't get too predictable with them. Low fireball under all freeze attempts. Do not low fireball from close range or you can be punished with a slide or ground freeze. Note that after hitting 1-2 low fireballs under a frerze, Subz will inevitably jump at you. Meet him in the air with JP, air fireball, bicycle. Jumping in against Sub is a very bad idea in general, unless you are absolutely certain an ice ball is coming. Followup JK's with an air fireball, flying kick, or bicycle if charging LK. As for counters, uppercut or aaHP, bicycle works fine. In general, if you play a smart keep away game, Kang can control the match and force Sub to be the aggressor; playing right into Kang's hands.

For Sub, he needs to go on offense, period. If you sit back and throw freeze balls all day, you are going to get low fireballed to death. Slides are an effective way to get inside, but don't get predictable with them or Subby will be eating a lot of uppercuts. Toss ice balls out on occasion to keep Kang honest and when one sticks, always JK, ground freeze, uppercut. Try to fake a couple ice tosses in hopes of getting Kang to jump at you, then counter with aaRH. Jumping the fireball barrage is a high risk, high reward situation. You can either score big with the previously mentioned combo, or get anti-aired for big damage the other way. Jump at your own risk.

An elite Kang will usually mop the floor with Sub to the tune of 8-2.
  • Best ways to get the other player into the air?
  • Best options up close?
  • Smart move to stay in a corner here?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Sub-Zero is my last pick in MK2, but I do think Sub vs Kang is a fun match. Fire vs Ice I guess?
If anyone doubts that this is a 8-2 (or even 9-1) match for Kang, I challenge you to face Scorpangel's Kang with Subby.
He will have the answer for everything.

This match is a problem for Sub-Zero for the same reason it's a fun one for him- he gets to be aggressive.
However, that's a double-edged sword, because Kang is faster, and usually Sub ends up getting pummeled.

8-2 for Kang.

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I'd be down to do a set with Scorpangels Kang, does he still play?
Yes he plays sometimes. Tell him you want to do a set vs his Kang, he won't turn you down.
I've had success vs his Kang with everyone except Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Despite some vgg close matches, they just have no answer vs a Kang that level.

The main reason this matchup is fucked up for Sub is because Liu can just back himself up to the corner, and there's not much Sub can do.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
The main reason this matchup is fucked up for Sub is because Liu can just back himself up to the corner, and there's not much Sub can do.
That's pretty much the story for Kang and Mileena vs alot of characters. Reptile is actually better vs Kang than Subz IMO because he can force the action a little better. It would be interesting to see how MK2 would play if EVERY character could ground pound like Jax, or at least the weaker ones. That would give someone like Subz an actual counter to corner-turtling.