What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Shang Tsung VS Raiden

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is an interesting matchup. Two mid-tier characters with the capabilities to annoy the hell out of each other. If I had to rate this match, I'd give it a 6-4 in favor of Shang just because of his ability to morph and counter. That, and his godlike JK.

Both characters have to be extremely careful of jab pressure from the other. Shang's jabs are easily the best in the game and when applying kara jabs, he is nearly unstoppable. Raiden is no slouch either, as he can easily teleport and begin the jab pressure game as well; leading to a 50% combo off a shock grab.
  • How can Shang counter a runaway Raiden?
  • What's Raiden's best bet for getting consistent jab pressure?
  • Is it worth morphing against Raiden, given the threat of getting caught in a morphback infinite?

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
6-4 is probably accurate, but is there anyone else that gives Raiden more trouble than Shang?

-to counter a runaway Raiden with a health advantage I usually morph into Jax, but sometimes that doesn't always work in my favor, it's like playing Rock Paper Scissors, sometimes I come up short and get beaten even harder!

6-4 is probably accurate, but is there anyone else that gives Raiden more trouble than Shang?

-to counter a runaway Raiden with a health advantage I usually morph into Jax, but sometimes that doesn't always work in my favor, it's like playing Rock Paper Scissors, sometimes I come up short and get beaten even harder!
Liu and Lao also give Raiden alot of trouble. I told you that your best bet was shang because I knew you didn't pick any other characters besides him and sub.

1) If you've determined your opponent is more skilled, I'd say pick a corner and be creative with those infernal skulls. Raiden won't be able to teleport behind you and may even take damage attempting to do so.

2) I believe Raiden should either use frequent teleports followed by sweeps until he can get close or use the shock/grab jump kick setup. That can be a dangerous gambit if your bluff is called however.

3) Since it's difficult to correctly time this, I don't worry too much about it. It doesn't appear to be prevalent online. I might have experienced it four or five times since I purchased the game.

This is another potentially disastrous CQC matchup as well I think. Despite incessant jabs from Shang, Raiden can sometimes pull a rabbit out of his hat and shock you when you least expect it.

I'd like to think Shang has an advantage here based on his irritating sweeps and antagonizing jump kick alone.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Here is a video of this matchup from the fall tourney, the Shang vs Raiden match starts at 1:40, and please forgive my bad audio render I forgot to turn off another videos audio layer : (

Reactions: MKB
Who all records here? It would interesting to see maybe 10-20 consecutive Shang/Raiden encounters on ogMK2 and/or MKAK.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

You want 20 Raiden matches? I could set up my camera any night of the week and get that! Raiden is by far the most picked opponent against me! People love picking Raiden! I don't know if its just me or what?

I think 20 matches between good players would paint a pretty striking picture of what should and should not be tried with each character. I have no idea who should represent each character for our viewing pleasure though.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I think 20 matches between good players would paint a pretty striking picture of what should and should not be tried with each character. I have no idea who should represent each character for our viewing pleasure though.
gamemk specializes in Shang. Although I'm not the best with him, Raiden is one of my better characters. Don't know if he's up to it though. Wanna play a 20 set gamemk?

Nah. I only play MK2 now to troll, so the matches wouldn't be a real reflection of what match up stuff should be. The only thing that gets me pumped to play is playing against people I really really dislike, because I can play at my maximum dickish potential.

As for Shang Tsung vs Raiden you basically just want to play lame, take no damage and force Raiden to fight you. Superman is useless vs ST because he can duck it without blocking; therefore the only useful aspect of it is to Superman~shock grab. Avoid Superman~shock grab damage, and Raiden has nothing left. Raiden in lag is another story. My advice for that would just be to PS home quit that game.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you dislike anyone that uses tactics that you feel aren't doable on a cabinet.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Ok so how do you beat Colongy's Raiden, that cheating ass hole always beats me, and when I do actually win he leaves, but I would really like to make him leave more!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Ok so how do you beat Colongy's Raiden, that cheating ass hole always beats me, and when I do actually win he leaves, but I would really like to make him leave more!
his Raiden is very good, but beatable. you just have to expect him to do instant air supermans because he does them all the time. he's not a cheater... he doesn't quit when I beat him on MKAK at least. just try to distance yourself with Shang so that when he IAS you can uppercut him as he falls.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Good to know, how does one perform an instant air superan/ instant warp superman anyway? Not that I would ever use Raidens cheap ass, just curious

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Good to know, how does one perform an instant air superan/ instant warp superman anyway? Not that I would ever use Raidens cheap ass, just curious
It's an analog move, much like Kitana's IAF or Scorpion's walking forward spear. You need to buffer the back motion with the stick, then diag up + back and press forward with the d-pad. Spamming it won't get you anywhere, though as it is highly punishable if anticipated. You need to be able to pull it out on a whim. Takes a lot of practice.

It's an analog move, much like Kitana's IAF or Scorpion's walking forward spear. You need to buffer the back motion with the stick, then diag up + back and press forward with the d-pad. Spamming it won't get you anywhere, though as it is highly punishable if anticipated. You need to be able to pull it out on a whim. Takes a lot of practice.
I think culongy cheats with a programmable controller. You know the kind that you can program inputs to do 1 button specials. Same with Mike Girard. I know it's possible to do that stuff legit, but I've seen some things with those guys that makes me think otherwise. I've seen Culongy do instant air fans with kitana while walking. He didn't do a normal or a crouch to buffer it out of. Now don't tell me he buffered it out of the walk animation.