What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Shang Tsung MIRROR

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Shang v. Shang is the most unpredictable match in MK2. Both players have the ability to morph into any of the other 11 characters, providing for a diverse battle. Here are a few tips to hopefully help out in this crazy match:

DOs:

- Shang's jump kick is a huge weapon. Use it especially up close (hop kick). Just don't get too jump happy or...

- If your opponent does nothing but jump kick you, anti-air with a high kick. Shang has an underrated HK which can take even another Shang's nasty JK out of the skies.

- So your opponent changes it up and morphs into Kang? Morph into the character you're most comfortable fighting Liu with. Shang is a counterpicker's dream. And while Shang himself is good against everyone, sometimes you just need Mileena to take down someone's Liu.

- Get up close and personal with your mirror match. You can make your opponents feel totally helpless by mixing up Shang's fast sweep kicks, kara jabs, punches, and elbows.

DON'Ts:

- More often than not, Shang mirrors become nothing other than a flaming skulls spamfest. While skulls have their time and place, remember you have lots of options. If your opponent keeps up the spam, morph into someone like Scorpion who can close the gap and make a spammer pay.

- Do not rely solely on morphing into other characters. Shang is a strong fighter on his own with killer CQC.

- If you're playing a turtling spammer, you aren't going to want to chase him down on foot. Shang's walk is agonizingly slow. Instead, time your jumps precisely, or morph into a character like Lao or Sub-Zero that can close the gap.

- Don't neglect watching the clock when your opponent morphs. He will change back to Shang after about 15 seconds, and when he does, he is vulnerable for a pummeling. Likewise, manage your own morphs or you could find yourself stuck in an infinite morph-back trap.

SHANG TSUNG STATS (according to mortal_jason):

Tier Rank: 6
Best Special: Flaming Skulls
Worst Special: Flaming Skulls (LOL)
Best Normal: Jump Kick
Worst Normal: Crouch Kick
Awesome Shang Players To Youtube: ten-peace-show, MIKECALDWELL

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I love this match, Jason is correct on everything except...

1. spam war, do engage in a spam war, so long as you have a life lead, or your opponent isn't a smart spammer you will win.
2. tier rank 6? I feel like if there were a mortal Jason's kitana version of shang he would be no. 4, even no.03 in front of liu. With morphs an expert Shang should be hard to beat.

how does Caldwell's Shang do against your Kitana usually? Does he morph into Jax/ Mil to control the match?

I love this match, Jason is correct on everything except...

1. spam war, do engage in a spam war, so long as you have a life lead, or your opponent isn't a smart spammer you will win.
2. tier rank 6? I feel like if there were a mortal Jason's kitana version of shang he would be no. 4, even no.03 in front of liu. With morphs an expert Shang should be hard to beat.

how does Caldwell's Shang do against your Kitana usually? Does he morph into Jax/ Mil to control the match?
I know some people play this game just to win, but a shang spam war is so redundant that I almost quit everytime someone starts this against me. All I'm gonna do is duck until they get bored. I guess I'm pretty much against anything that would make the game look bad or one dimensional to a new comer or outsider.

I think it's been awhile since me and Jason have played shang vs kitana. I doubt I would morph because Shang does ok in this matchup. I would probably play it similar to you Subo, but with less spamming and more up close tactics.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
Got it, and I want to say I don't play to win and it's just for fun, but as soon as I run into one of these little twats in the lobby acting like a jerk I definitely just play to win, I suppose when I get better I will stop that.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Even though spamming is a safe play, I probably wouldn't resort to it either just because I'd fall asleep in the process. That, and I think Shang's kara-jabs are more effective anyway.

Got it, and I want to say I don't play to win and it's just for fun, but as soon as I run into one of these little twats in the lobby acting like a jerk I definitely just play to win, I suppose when I get better I will stop that.
I understand that spamming is sometimes the best/safest option, but I just can't bring myself to do it for very long. I probably get more bored doing it than watching someone else do it. Do what you gotta do though. Like Bill said, shang is too much fun up close to limit myself to only fireballs.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I think Mike and I had a conversation once or twice about how a maxxed out Shang might be #1 on the Tier.
Never really seen a Shang utilized to his full potential the way Niki used Mileena to hers.
General ranking for Shang is somewhere between 4-6....

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I think Mike and I had a conversation once or twice about how a maxxed out Shang might be #1 on the Tier.
Never really seen a Shang utilized to his full potential the way Niki used Mileena to hers.
General ranking for Shang is somewhere between 4-6....
In the right hands, I could entertain a discussion where Shang could be considered top tier. #1 overall though, I'd have a very difficult time agreeing just based on the simple fact that he is vulnerable to being caught in an infinite during his return morph.

In the right hands, I could entertain a discussion where Shang could be considered top tier. #1 overall though, I'd have a very difficult time agreeing just based on the simple fact that he is vulnerable to being caught in an infinite during his return morph.
I honestly can't say for sure because I've never seen Shang really utilized like he was drawn up. It would be interesting.