What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Scorpion VS Johnny Cage

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Cage may be low tier, but he does hold an edge over the 3 male ninjas.

Scorpion's strength is his ability to anti-air most opponents and that remains true with Cage. If he looks for aa opportunities and plays a decent keep away game, he has a shot to win. If he plays close to mid screen, his chances decrease significantly. Cage's shadow kick and killer CQC game will make life difficult on Scorpion, not to mention Cage's aa game is on par with, if not better than Scorpions. A good bet for success against Cage is to get in close and then apply the crossover JK game while mashing block to try for an air throw. Most Cages won't know what to do, though an elite Cage can get out of it. Otherwise, Scorpion can win from afar by turtling with a life lead and waiting for a green ball and then telepunching. Playing midscreen, an analog forward spear will usually catch Cage off guard, assuming he hasn't nailed you with a shadow kick first.

Cage has a lot of options up close given his CQC game. If the match is played from mid screen to close range, he wins hands down. Block or duck all missed spear attempts and punish with a shadow kick. Jump-ins can be countered with a myriad of options, but be careful as Scorpion can cancel the jump with a teleport and surprise Cage. Block all teleports and counter with your combo of choice. I prefer aahp(x2), shadow kick. The only way Cage can lose this match is if he tries to play far away. Zoning Scorpion does NOT work because you will get telepunched everytime.

Cage has the advantage if he stays in close. I'd say it's 6-4, maybe even 7-3 Cage.
  • Best options for Scorpion up close?
  • Best way to land the spear as Scorpion?
  • Best combo options for Cage?

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I'm sure Kevin would disagree with the 6-4, I'd love to see him vs Jason's cage, that dude is a scorpion powerhouse.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I'm sure Kevin would disagree with the 6-4, I'd love to see him vs Jason's cage, that dude is a scorpion powerhouse.
Scorpion is toothless if you get up in his face with Cage. If you play from far away, as Kevin does, you can have your way with almost anyone.

In any event, I find this matchup to be similar to Sub Zero VS Kitana in a lot of ways. If you jump at Scorpion, you are asking for trouble. Staying on the ground and approaching via foot is the best way to go. You could even compare this to Kang VS Scorpion. Cage gets a life lead and then forces Scorpion to play offense.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I get what you are saying, but you would be amazed how much pride and online image mean to some people when it comes to gaming (nothing.) Regarding ectonaut, he is anything but a troll. He's solid all around. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further, but let's get this discussion back on track now. I'll be deleting these posts after today.
Before you delete them, yes Kevin plays. He's a very cool guy and I play him often. I have a video vs him, but we didn't do Cage vs Scorpion in it. If we did a 10 set in a fast connection, it would usually be 7-3 for my Cage I'd say.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
This is a pretty rough match for Cage against a turtle Scorpion. Cage's gait is slow, and a good Scorpion can always seem to keep away from him.

CAGE
Vs turtle Scorpions I like to get near a corner (not in, but near) and throw low green balls. Eventually he will telepunch and put himself in the corner. That's where you want him. Anytime you're in close to Scorpion go wild with punches, jabs, low toes, sweeps, and shadow kicks. Scorpion is definitely in trouble when Cage is close. Jumping in at Scorpion is a bad idea, but if you do, jump punch late as it's harder to anti-air. If Scorpion is silly enough to jump in at you, anti-air him with either a HK, or aaHP/shadow kick. Block all spears thrown within sweep distance, and shadow kick. Golden punches are great in that they make your Cage a tank, and force Scorpion to take the offensive.

SCORPION
Keep your distance. Cage can't beat you from afar unless you trade projectiles. Anytime he throws a green ball, telepunch. Anti-air roundhouse all his jump-ins. These are really the 3 keys to victory in this match. Quickly throw spears when Cage tries to track you down on foot. Up close Scorpion has nothing on Cage except that their sweeps are about the same speed and length. A close spear is a good surprise move, especially right as Cage comes up from a whiffed sweep kick. But be careful coz you're wide open for a counter if the spear misses Cage. Get aggressive if Cage tracks you down. Do crossovers looking to air throw Johnny if he jumps.

I think this is a pretty even match, and a damn fun one for Cage. They both can give each other trouble if played well. I've played all the great Scorpions and always have to work hard with Cage to win against them. Would love to do a set vs Caldwell's Scorpion to really gauge this match. I go at least 6-4 vs all other Scorpions with Cage, but Mike has the best and I believe I would be hard pressed to do that well vs his.

Overall I'd say a 5-5 matchup, very even.