What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Raiden VS Scorpion

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is a matchup of two lower mid-tier characters which can really be a lot of fun. Lots of people enjoy playing with these guys regardless of matchups.

In general, you will see people going into the air a lot in this match. However, going into the air against Scorpion is usually a losing proposition and it's no different here as Raiden. Scorpion's air throw has amazing priority and it has been known to take an air-superman out of the air on a number of occasions. Supermans are a bad idea in general unless you are doing it from in close to catch your opponent off guard. Use the bolt liberally here, but not full screen or you will get telepunched.

Scorpion can, and will, punish torpedo spammers with a double spear, uppercut. Same thing goes for teleport spammers. Whenever I play as Scorpion in this match, I am constantly buffering a spear in anticipation of a teleport, while throwing aaLP. This lets Raiden know his ass is staying grounded during the match. It should be noted that Raiden can block while teleporting and thus a reverse spear can be counter-punished, but I have NEVER seen anyone do this in a real match outside of practice so it is very safe to buffer a spear here. Scorpion just seems to have all the answers for Raiden...except up close. Raiden still has amazing CQC and it will be your saving grace in this match whereas Scorpion can't do much face-to-face.

The name of the game is not getting predictable. As long as each player doesn't spam their teleports and specials, they won't be left wide open to getting punished. Unfortunately though, Scorpion just has more answers for Raiden than vice versa and he (Scorpion) takes this matchup, 6-4.
  • When are the best times to go aerial here?
  • When should each player use their specials?
  • Who has the better CQC?

Last edited:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Usually we agree on matchups MKillBill, but I don't think Scorpion has the advantage in this match...
They are actually good picks against one another.
Scorpion's spears keep Raiden from superman spamming yes, but Raiden's teleports keep Scorpion from running away and turtling.

RAIDEN
You will win this match from within sweep distance. How? By mixing up teleports with aggressive jabs, shocks, and sweeps.
Superman is a very risky play in this match- ONLY use it as a surprise tactic. Instant supermans are usually your best bet, as nothing is more surprising than one of those. Lightning bolt is fairly useless except when you're close to a corner. I love throwing projectiles with any character against Scorpion, when I'm near a corner. He takes the bait, gets the hit in with his telepunch, but is now trapped in the corner where you can jab him. This is not as important of a tactic with Raiden since he can teleport right next to Scorpion though. Shock grab is always a great move to use. Avoid jumping as Scorpion has a lot of options to punish you if you do.

SCORPION
Always be ready to block Raiden's supermans and spear/spear/uppercut him. Buffer the spear in anticipation of Raiden teleporting. Telepunch anytime Raiden throws lightning, but be mindful of where you'll land after you hit him. Get aggressive with crossovers when Raiden teleports near you, always trying for air throws in the process. Raiden is one of the only fighters that the ninjas can somewhat successfully jab. So turn the tables on an aggressive Raiden and take it to him before he takes it to you! Anti-air Raiden with Scorpion's god-like roundhouse. Other anti-air options include jump punch/telepunch, or a well-timed air throw.

MIKECALDWELL 's Scorpion vs btbb99 's Raiden would make for some amazing matches. :cool:
I find this is always an exciting match between 2 good players!
But Raiden's ability to take away Scorpion's turtling with his teleport, and his better jab pressure, gives Raiden a slight edge in this close contest.
Overall though, a 5-5 matchup IMO.
(Very interested to hear Mike's take on it!)

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
mortal_jason, I suppose I could be convinced that this is 6-4 Scorpion, but I just don't see Raiden with an honest edge here given how easily punishable Raiden's mistakes are compared to Scorpion's. Good analysis, though, as always.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
mortal_jason, I suppose I could be convinced that this is 6-4 Scorpion, but I just don't see Raiden with an honest edge here given how easily punishable Raiden's mistakes are compared to Scorpion's. Good analysis, though, as always.
Well that's the point of discussion :) If we all agreed, what fun would that be?
Raiden's hardly my strongest character, but I rarely lose this matchup. And I see it alot coz people love to counterpick my Raiden w Scorpion.
If you want to beat a turtley Scorpion, Raiden is your best pick!

We need to play some of these matchups soon on MKAK!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I played a very good few matches recently as Scorpion against a decent Raiden on Fightcade this past week. The spear buffer strategy kept Raiden almost completely grounded and forced him to play conservative. I'll post them later this week.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Funny enough @mortal_jason did a matchup breakdown on this matchup (along with various of other matchups) @MKB:

He's got good insight. He helped me do the initial wave of these reviews over a decade ago. I'll say up front I have no intention of duplicating what he is doing with character matchups as I'd be duplicating all my old work, but you'll see some more in depth strats from me for tricky matchups to supplement these threads.

As I recall though, this is one of only a very few matchups we disagreed on. Based on the thumbnail, I would still disagree. Teleport pandemonium will result in Raiden getting speared all day long. Yes, the reverse spear can be blocked, but I have never seen anyone attempt this in a real match...ever. I'd say it's more than safe to punish and gives Scorpion a safe edge in this match.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
He's got good insight. He helped me do the initial wave of these reviews over a decade ago. I'll say up front I have no intention of duplicating what he is doing with character matchups as I'd be duplicating all my old work, but you'll see some more in depth strats from me for tricky matchups to supplement these threads.

As I recall though, this is one of only a very few matchups we disagreed on. Based on the thumbnail, I would still disagree. Teleport pandemonium will result in Raiden getting speared all day long.
He has a handful of matchup breakdowns but I haven't played MK2 since the shitty MKAK ports were still a thing (I mostly played UMK3 anyways) so I have no idea how accurate it is as pretty much everything I learned came from watching & listening to James & Summoning over the years & just talking to splendormk9 in the MKU ShoutBox back in the day.

Reactions: MKB