What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Raiden VS Liu Kang

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Interesting dynamics in this match. Kang's typical fireball assault doesn't have as much meaning here since Raiden can teleport behind all that crap. Instead, Kang will look to utilize his feet more often in this match. Counter all whiffed supermans with a bicycle or flying kick. That said, don't be afraid to use a few fireballs here. Just don't be stupid about it from full screen or you could find yourself hurting... If Raiden goes to the air, meet him with a JP then air fireball. If Raiden gets in close to try some CQC, resort to the low toe to push Raiden away. The low toe works very well because it can also slip underneath a superman; allowing Kang to either low toe him away or counter with an uppercut. If you can anticipate a teleport, counter with an uppercut, a bicycle kick, or buffer a low fireball out of golden punches.

Raiden needs to take advantage of his teleportation skill and exploit the Kang who likes to spam. Look for an opening, especially if it's full screen. Teleport, then shock and combo with 2xHP, superman. If Kang is too fast or smart enough to low toe you away after the teleport, replace the shocker with an immediate superman. If Kang is smart enough to low toe your supermans, go for a shocker after the whiff. It might even be advisable to tele-block given Kang's punishers. Raiden's JK, superman combo is ill-advised against Kang due to his aa-uppercut. If, however, you can correctly anticipate and jump a fireball, then feel free to apply the combo.

An elite Raiden can frustrate Kang and give him problems. Most of the time though, Kang has the answers and can punish Raiden like few others for his mistakes. 7-3, Kang.

Last edited:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I love this match with either character... probably should have been #5 on my favorite match list over Scorpion vs Raiden.
It's so fast-paced and unpredictable- how could anyone hate it?

I think Raiden is one of the best picks against Kang... but Kang is also one of the best picks vs Raiden LOL.
It's a pretty competitive match, but in the end Liu's speed and big damage seem to put him out in front.

7-3 for Kang.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I'm making an amendment to my March review of this match-up....

Since then I've played this match quite a few times and I must say this could be a 5-5 match.
I've been trying to understand how it could be an even match when there's a lot of space between Liu and Raiden on the tier rank.
But here's why I've changed my mind:

• I've played the best Lius around, including Scorpangel's, and beaten them pretty good with Raiden. It is so rare that I lose to Liu with Raiden- and my Raiden isn't even as good as say, btbb99 's. This would not happen if Liu truly dominated Raiden 7-3.
  • Raiden can teleport and block any buffers of Liu's (fireballs, bicycle kick, etc) This allows him to punish Liu after blocking.
  • Raiden takes away Liu's low fireball because he can block it within sweep, and Superman.
  • When I'm using Liu, Raiden is always a tricky opponent. And very good Raidens are tough to beat. Pit my Liu vs btbb99 or Jester's Raidens, and I know I wouldn't win 7-3 with Liu.