What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Raiden VS Kung Lao

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Kung Lao is often thought of as Raiden's kryptonite, and for good reason.

Lao can put a virtual stop to Raiden's assault with his whirlwind spin alone. It counters the teleport and superman and sets up huge aerial combos for Lao. This is great news for anyone that wants to stop D-Pad spammers. Kung Lao's bullet kick also works wonders here because if Raiden teleports, the bullet kick will home in wherever the teleport ends up; automatically nailing Raiden. This forces Raiden to be more conservative in his assault. Speaking of, if Raiden chooses to try the JK + Superman combo, just use an aaHK to knock him down.

For Raiden, he needs to be vary cautious of the whirlwind spin of course and not get too predictable with his specials as Lao can punish them big time. Raiden will need to get in close to have an edge here. Once inside, apply the jab pressure in hopes of landing a shocker... but again if it whiffs a smart Lao player can get out an uppercut or even a fast whirlwind spin for big damage setups. Counter all whirlwind spins with a lightning bolt, as it's really all Raiden can do to stop them.

Hard match for Raiden to win. Kung Lao takes it 7-3.
  • What is the safest way for Raiden to get in against Lao?
  • Best way to punish Raiden's specials?
  • Better CQC game?

Last edited:

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I hate Lao and don't use him at all, but I hate Raiden even more and it's so nice to hear that Lao shuts him down. GO LAO!!!!!

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I'm actually not that good of a player. I have only been playing a year and a half. And because I'm so new I have only really mastered Sub, Shang, Rep, and I'm working on Jax. So my knowledge of the rest of the cast is very basic (except Raiden, I could probably pick him up in a week because I know him so well from all the people who pick him against me)!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I'm actually not that good of a player. I have only been playing a year and a half. And because I'm so new I have only really mastered Sub, Shang, Rep, and I'm working on Jax. So my knowledge of the rest of the cast is very basic (except Raiden, I could probably pick him up in a week because I know him so well from all the people who pick him against me)!
Well then you're just getting started. :)
When I first joined the ps3 scene in 2010 I really only used Kitana and Mileena, because those were the only characters I was good with.
But over time I learned to enjoy every one, including Lao. He is a lot of fun and really owns a lot of match ups including vs Raiden.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Lao is definitely rough for Raiden to beat. But this match is still not as bad as say Reptile vs Mileena or Cage vs Kang.

RAIDEN
Be watching for Lao to whirlwind spin. He probably will often because there is nothing Raiden can do to him while he's spinning other than throw a lightning bolt. Instant superman from crouch to surprise Lao. Try to throw Lao off by mixing in teleports and trying to apply jab. If you're in close and looking to attack, Lao will rarely get the spin started in time to hit you. Shock is a good weapon but don't use it too often or it's bad news. Watch for any Lao teleports and punish with uppercuts.

LAO
It seems Lao has all the perfect counters in this match. When Raiden jumps, jump punch/dive kick him. Throw hats to get Raiden jumping/teleporting, then whirlwind spin. Up close, Lao has the advantage with the much faster (though shorter) sweep, headbutt, and nice punches. Pin Raiden in a corner to really take his options away. Teleport and dive kick to make it hard for Raiden to track you down. Let him come to you, and then have the whirlwind spin ready. Anticipate Raiden's lightning bolts and do a quick dive kick, or teleport.

Raiden can give any fighter trouble, but Lao definitely has his number if played correctly.
7-3 for Lao.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
When I use to play MK2 I would always use Lao, but I would have trouble doing his whirlwind spin whenever I wanted. (The input was like up, up, LK?) Anybody have any tips so that you can just use Kung Lao's spin without have to jump or accidentally throw out a kick? lol

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
When I use to play MK2 I would always use Lao, but I would have trouble doing his whirlwind spin whenever I wanted. (The input was like up, up, LK?) Anybody have any tips so that you can just use Kung Lao's spin without have to jump or accidentally throw out a kick? lol
Were you holding block while doing it?