What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Raiden VS Kitana

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Raiden is suspect to being shutdown by a couple different characters, and Kitana is one of them.

Much like Baraka and Kung Lao, Kitana can take away a big chunk of Raiden's offense with one simple move: the fan lift. It counters all jump-ins and of course, if buffered, takes away the teleport. All instances lead to at least 50% damage. A great technique to use with Kitana is stand slightly outside a corner and bait a teleport. If Raiden is dumb enough to fall for it, the ensuing 100% combo equals a game over. Be careful though. A smart Raiden who knows better can teleport while holding block, then punish with a shocker and combo. Wave punches also work well to counter jump-ins. If the wave punch connects, throw out a late air fan right before Kitana hits the ground and it will usually connect for added damage.

Staying on the ground with Raiden is highly advisable due to the constant threat of being fan-lifted. This means no JK, superman combos unless you are positive a lift is not coming. Raiden does his best work in close, as per usual, but he needs to be careful about how he goes about getting inside. If Kitana is golden punching the air to buffer the fan lift, DO NOT TELEPORT UNLESS YOU HOLD BLOCK. Best thing to do is either walk in and sweep or just play it safe and throw a bolt. When safe, teleport in and apply wicked jab pressure, looking for the shocker when the opening presents itself. Supermans are OK if done unpredictably, but can be punished with a JK like anyone else; possibly an IAF as well.

Kitana takes away so much of Raiden's offense with a single move and she has a clear advantage of 6-4; possibly 7-3 with IAF.
  • How often should Raiden superman?
  • Are jump-ins and teleports advisable?
  • Better CQC?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Another great MK2 match up, which is actually closer than most people think. Many believe this match to be either strongly in Raiden's favor, or strongly in Kitana's. In reality it's probably even, and almost always is very unpredictable at the highest level.

If Kitana's fan raise was unblockable when Raiden teleports, this would be hugely in Kitana's favor. But Raiden CAN teleport and block as he does. Kitana's fan raise will be blocked, and Raiden can do whatever he pleases as punishment. Up close Kitana puts the hurt on Raiden, but he can teleport his way out of trouble.

With IAFs, I give Kitana a 6-4 edge.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I was unaware the fan raise was blockable after a teleport. I'll have to change up my analysis :)
What 100% corner combo do you mean Kitana can pull if she gets Raiden in a fan raise near one? She has the low kick corner infinite and the air fan/fan raise/air fan/fan raise... infinite, but both are nearly impossible to land especially in lag. If there's another one, I gotta know! :)

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
What 100% corner combo do you mean Kitana can pull if she gets Raiden in a fan raise near one? She has the low kick corner infinite and the air fan/fan raise/air fan/fan raise... infinite, but both are nearly impossible to land especially in lag. If there's another one, I gotta know! :)
Both of those are possible, and there is another one dookiebrain posted a while back. I'll look for it and post here.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Both of those are possible, and there is another one dookiebrain posted a while back. I'll look for it and post here.
Yeah I remember that- I think he said he worked like 6 hours trying to get that to work... involved throwing an air fan instantly after square wave, right? I tried it a little bit and gave up LOL.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
opponent in the corner and walking right up to him do a :

1.up-kick
2.fan at lowest frame before kitana hits ground
3.DUCKING lp
4 STANDING hp
5.fly punch *this is where i left off at the 5 hit mark* i have not made it to 6,7,8, yet on this one.
6.fan at very top
7.aaHP
8.fly punch.

i can get to the 5 hit,its nearly impossible!!!!! and with this combo i just put up(the 7 hit) you can clearly see that after the fly punch a fan can be landed at the top, then aaHP- fly punch. ill be working on that one.

the ONLY way this 8 hit will not work is because the second fan might not work due to a cancel,but if you think about it,3 hits go by until next fan,is that enough time for it to be ready to use again? seems to be a decent enough hits until you can use fan again.

is 3 hits enough hits to go by to be able to pull off another fan? i know someone knows this answer,anyone? in other words fan-3hits-fan? lol
The video no longer works, so you'll have to go with the text instructions.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
The video no longer works, so you'll have to go with the text instructions.
it sounds about as impossible as I remember hehe. I'll stick with the air fan/fan raise/air fan... infinite. I can do it very consistently in local play, but it's absolutely, and I mean ABSOLUTELY, impossible online in any kind of lag. Here's to hoping that one day we have a console version that is LAG FREE :cool: