What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Mileena VS Raiden

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Out of the entire cast to oppose Mileena in MK2, Raiden is one character who, in the right hands, can be a nightmare for her. Mileena still holds an edge, but it's no walk in the park...

Typically, Mileena can sai spam most of her opposition, but that's not the case against Raiden. Raiden fares better than most because he can simply teleport behind all that spam and start to work in his deadly CQC game. The only problem with this is that Mileena's CQC is on par with Raiden; if not better. If Mileena anticipates a teleport, she can roll out of it and perhaps work in a combo if near a wall. Raiden's superman attack is very risky from long range as a block will lead to any number of punishers from Mileena. In addition, Milenna can NOT afford to spam the roll attack. A block will result in a massive juggle combo, such as 2xHP superman (or worse). For Raiden to win this match he MUST get in close, no question about it. If he can get Mileena into a crouch blocking position by mixing in jabs, sweeps, shockers, etc, his chances go up significantly. If not, he'll fare just as badly as everyone else. This is probably a 7-3 game in Mileena's favor.
  • When should Raiden work in his superman attack?
  • How often should Mileena spam the sais?
  • Who has the CQC edge?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
For me, this is the match that lag helps Raiden the most out in. In a clear connection, my Mileena has little trouble with him. But in any lag, Raiden is much more difficult. When you 15 streak someone in a fast connection, and then only win 3 out of 4 in lag, obviously there is a handicap going on with lag. Still, Raiden's unpredictability and versatility make him harder for Mileena than most fighters.

RAIDEN
Superman from all different heights to catch Mileena when she's sai tossing. Go nuts with the teleport- you have to keep Mileena confused if you are to win this match. Even though Mileena has the better jab, with the teleport, you can surprise her and then jab before she can. This forces her to play defensive. Lightning bolt is only useful as a projectile trade. Shock grab is very important here, but don't overuse it, or you open yourself up to big damage. Do NOT let Mileena run to a corner. She is in complete control of the match if she is there.

MILEENA
Ground sai toss instead of air sai- you're too vulnerable to supermans in the air. Raiden usually supermans from ground level, and the ground sai will stop him. Block all supermans and immediately drop kick. Anticipate his teleport by buffering the roll so that you hit him as he morphs next to you. Jab is a great idea if you can get near Raiden on your terms. Her jab pressure beats Raiden and her sweep will not only outsweep him, but also hit him out of supermans if he's in the start-up animation. Sometimes this match is easier to win WITHOUT using sai. If you're getting killed, run to a corner. This sets up your 70+% combos. It also takes away all options for Raiden to hurt you. This is a douchey play, but it's why she owns Raiden. I only use it for tournaments or ranked matches.

I'll say it's a 7-3 for Mileena, because Raiden definitely has the moves to always keep her on edge. But when it comes down to it, she will probably win anyway.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I just love reading about how to better shutdown the cheap evilness that is Raiden!
Hehe you and your hate for Raiden. He's actually not that tough once you figure out what works against him. Just about every fighter can crouch block his superman and get a jump kick off of that. Once you get good at that, he becomes way more manageable.

But yeah, think about Mileena in a corner- what can he do?

1) jump kick = Mileena uppercuts
2) superman = Mileena blocks and drop kicks
3) lightning throw = Mileena jump kicks, rolls, sais, or drop kicks
4) sweep = Mileena rolls and sets up huge corner combo
5) teleport = Mileena uppercuts or jabs him

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
yikes! Mileena is a beast! I just feel like I lack dexterity and could never get as good as you or other top Mileena's. I have issues with characters that require button holds, I wish I could map HP to a trigger and square so I could still be free to use the controller normally, I have the same issue with Jax, I cant react quick enough with the punches when I'm holding that darn LK.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
yikes! Mileena is a beast! I just feel like I lack dexterity and could never get as good as you or other top Mileena's. I have issues with characters that require button holds, I wish I could map HP to a trigger and square so I could still be free to use the controller normally, I have the same issue with Jax, I cant react quick enough with the punches when I'm holding that darn LK.
You can remap the controls in MK2 for whatever button you choose. Just go into Settings and go from there.

Lol, you're forgetting how different MKAK is than ogMK2 Jason. Every Raiden I play is doing an instant superman on MKAK before he even is finished teleporting. It's funny how bad it is. You really can't sweep under jump kicks either. Lots of strange stuff. I think Cage and especially Shang are tougher on this version. I messed around last night. Lots of moves that I normally like to do are a lot harder to perform on MKAK or are safe. I'll play it if no one is on ogMK2, and that's about it.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

You can remap the controls in MK2 for whatever button you choose. Just go into Settings and go from there.
yes, you can re-map, but you cant have duplicates, If I could have say 2 buttons that did LK/or HP the button hold attacks wouldn't affect my regular play. Similar to how the elite guys use analog moves.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

I wouldn't say it ruined MK online, it actually added another level of skill and complexity. I am not skilled enough to pull of those moves, thus I need to train myself and improve or I will never be the best. It's like saying the bombs we dropped in WW2 ruined warfare, when in actuality we just figured out a better way to destroy things.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Guys we're steering this convo off in the wrong direction. Please keep this focused on Mileena/Raiden.

Can Raiden shock grab that weird, reverse roll Milenna does that doesn't hit you but is right in your face? Sure you've seen it before.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Lol, you're forgetting how different MKAK is than ogMK2 Jason. Every Raiden I play is doing an instant superman on MKAK before he even is finished teleporting. It's funny how bad it is. You really can't sweep under jump kicks either. Lots of strange stuff. I think Cage and especially Shang are tougher on this version. I messed around last night. Lots of moves that I normally like to do are a lot harder to perform on MKAK or are safe. I'll play it if no one is on ogMK2, and that's about it.
That's Girard under his many alt accounts, he is using some sort of auto-fire. He's beaten me about 1 of 50 with that technique. You know it's coming, so block the superman and instantly counter. I messaged him and told him that shit doesn't work against elites :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if Raiden can shock Mileena out of that weird roll. She seems to have no hit point when that happens.

Ha. Yeah, i eventually realized it was my only option with Reptile against that kind of speed. I'll say it's easier to punish in MKAK at least.