What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Mileena VS Jax

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Welcome to the only match in which Jax isn't favored...

If Mileena wants to keep this match in her favor, she has one goal in mind: SAI SPAM. Well-timed spamming with zero recovery time leaves Jax with very little he can do from far away. Jax will have to ground pound in between the sais; however, this takes precise timing, and more often than not, Jax will end up eating a sai anyway. Once you have Jax pinned down with spam, you can slowly inch your way forward and unleash a roll and followup with a combo (Jax won't be blocking because he'll eat chip damage.) I employed this strategy once against Kensi a long time ago and it pissed him off to be sure, but it also resulted in a flawless.

For Jax, it's a pick-your-poison type deal. Far away gets you sai spammed and in close leaves you threatened with Mileena's CQC game. I'd much rather play up close because at least you have a better chance to do some damage. Get in close and throw a lot of jabs in the hopes that one will connect for a quadra-slam. If she is blocking, throw punches until she is out of reach, then ground pound. Well-timed wave tosses can break up sai spam. If you hit her with one, throw another to get her off balance and frustrate her to the point of wanting to come in. If Mileena jumps at you, aaHK her. Block all rolls and counter with JK, backbreaker.

I despise playing this matchup as Jax, yet he is one of the only fighters who stands a chance against Mileena. Most tier lists say this is 6-4 one way or the other. I say it's 7-3, Mileena. Jax will be very hard-pressed to win many games against a perfect spammer.
  • Best way for Jax to break up sai spam?
  • Best options for Jax up close?
  • Should Mileena try to play up close in this match?

Last edited:

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
this is a horrible match for Jax, I'd almost rather pick Sub just to avoid the spam. Definitely want to keep moving forward with Jax because trying to time a GP under the sai spam is really hit and miss.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
It's not a horrible match for Jax if you learn how to ground pound underneath sai. Timing that IN LAG however.... good fuckin luck!
He's definitely one of the only characters that really gives her any resistance.

JAX
As I said, learning to ground pound under Mileena's sai is very important to winning this match. There is a video on youtube of DVD's Jax demonstrating how to do that. It really shows how Jax has the potential to absolutely own Mileena if played perfectly. Trading wave punches with her sai is a pretty good tactic. Remember that any time you block her telekick or roll, you can JK/backbreaker for big damage. Once I land that combo with him, I usually just wave punch since I have a life lead. Gotcha grab is useless, Mileena can get a hop kick in unblockably afterwards. Anti-air HK her out of jump ins. This is really tough, but very important. Usually when Mileena does a jump forward air sai, she will sai early on in the jump. You have to watch for that, and aaHK if she actually jumps in without sai-ing. Golden punches are good are eliciting blocked rolls/telekicks from lesser Mileenas, but vs tough Mileenas, you just end up eating lots of chip damage. In general, keep away from her. But if she tracks you down, send her a message with a HK to the face. Or a multi-slam- always nice. Crouch punch to keep her away when she inches close.

MILEENA
An elite Jax can be a tough cookie to crack for Mileena. Mix up the sai both ground and air, and at various heights. Do not get too spammy, or Jax will start timing his ground pounds underneath them. Air sai from around sweep distance are really hard for Jax to ground pound under, so mix up your screen positioning when you sai (don't get predictable). Rolls are very good vs Jax because he's usually not blocking to avoid taking chip damage. But use them cautiously- if he blocks, you're about to lose around half your life. Telekick just gets you in trouble, only use it as a surprise tactic. Get in and CQC, she can certainly mess him up with all her in-close attacks. Don't forget Mileena has a really beasty combo on Jax = anti-air HP, roll, telekick. Massive damage, and looks bad ass. Sweep him often!

7-3 for Mileena. She has the better specials, sweep and CQC. Jax isn't far behind her, but still:

King Jax bows before Queen Mileena.