What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Liu Kang VS Shang Tsung

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is an interesting matchup here. Kang is arguably the best character in the game, going against a character with great CQC and who can turn into anyone he pleases. In the end, though, it's not as close as you might think.

Along with Baraka, Shang Tsung has the best close-up attacks in the game. He will need to rely on that in order to win this match as his fireball spam will not get him very far against a character who can easily respond with a ducking projectile. If this becomes a war of zoning, Kang wins hands down. Shang will need to very cautiously approach Kang through the barrage of fireballs to try and start up his CQC game. If Kang continues to run (or fly) away, Shang may need to consider morphing into top tier or maybe even Raiden to start a teleport, shock grab combo. Shang, by himself though, faces an uphill battle here. So much, that I would honestly rate this 7-3 in Kang's favor.
  • Is it advisable to morph as Shang or can he stand a fighting chance otherwise?
  • Should Shang engage in a spam war?
  • How does Liu Kang keep this in his favor?

1) Shang doesn't need to morph.
2) Not necessary.
3) Liu Kang needs to stay away mostly and execute a lot of well timed specials.

Still, I like Shang here and have seen enough of these matchups to have a solid approach I think. As long as Shang stays patient and relies mostly on his CQC, jump kicks and sweeps, Liu Kang is going to have a problem. It's the Kang players that know how to sneak in bicycles during CQC and after missed sweeps that you have to worry about. Fireballs from Shang aren't out of the question, but they're reserved for Kang players that jump around like maniacs.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Here's something I've been thinking about with Shang regarding getting in close to Liu. If you find that you are just inside of sweep range instead of sweeping you could do a FAST JK by jumping and kicking at virtually the exact same time. Shang's JK is top notch and can really catch the opponent off guard giving you another advantage and option inside CQC range.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Here's something I've been thinking about with Shang regarding getting in close to Liu. If you find that you are just inside of sweep range instead of sweeping you could do a FAST JK by jumping and kicking at virtually the exact same time. Shang's JK is top notch and can really catch the opponent off guard giving you another advantage and option inside CQC range.
Hop kick yeah... Tsung has the sickest one in MK2

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'd say 6-4 Kang based on my experience with the matchup. I've not faced a truly great Liu in an offline match though.

Shang's jabs and sweep are so good.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
First of all, gotta start by saying that Scorpangel (undoubtedly the best Kang ever) told me MIKECALDWELL gave him a lot of trouble with Shang. Not sure how they'd do in a best of 10 set... but I bet Mike would do very well.

SHANG
Has to do 1 of 2 things here- 1) get in Kang's face and jab like mad, or 2) morph into someone that can.
His triple skulls do a nice job of keeping Kang from air fireballing. His JK is boss, but can be anti-aired by Kang.
Let's not forget Shang can turn into 2 Kang-killers, Jax and Mileena. Mix up your morphs to keep Kang off balance.

KANG
Keep Shang away with a barrage of fireballs: air, high, low, and IAFBs.
When he JKs at you, anti-air him with a roundhouse or uppercut.
Be ready to adjust strategies if Shang morphs.

I'd say a 6-4 match for Kang. Shang has a lot of options (more than anyone) and if one thing isn't working, he can try something else.