What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Kitana VS Shang Tsung

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is a very tight matchup with two solid mid-tier characters.

Kitana's CQC is great, but so is Shang's. Kitana probably has a slight edge up close just because of the extra fan swipe damage and the fan lift if unprepared. Her sweep does have longer range so she can usually keep Shang out of her face if need be. Kitana's fans aren't as useful here as most matches just because Shang can easily out-spam her with 2x-3x fireballs. Throwing a fan on occasion is good to break up the monotony, but be prepared to block quickly unless you can get an IAF out then duck. Wave punching over the spam works well too, but only if you suspect a double or triple. Flying over a single leaves you wide open to an uppercut.

Shang can fight this battle up close or from far away. His sweep comes out faster than Kitana, but lacks range. If you get in close on Kitana, kara-jab her to death and don't stop until she's dead. Otherwise, spam her ass from afar with fireballs. Jumping in on Kitana is risky given her fan lift, but considering the high priority of Shang's JK it may be worth taking a chance now and again. Sometimes in the heat of throwing fireballs you will accidentally morph into Mileena, which works out well for you anyway given the match advantage Mileena has over Kitana.

Pretty even contest, though I'd have to give this to Shang 6-4 simply because of his morphing ability if necessary plus his kara-jabbing is insane. If Kitana has perfect timing with IAF throwing, it might be 6-4 the other way.
  • Who has better CQC?
  • Best ways to get the opponent into the air?
  • Should Shang worry about morphing at all?

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I for one don't morph much when i use shang. His CQC LP's sweeps and random standing LK and HK if you feel the person is going to jump out. I don't use the kara jabs or whatever they are called.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Always a tough match for either Tsung or Kitana. Read on...

KITANA
IAFs really help in this match. I hardly lose this one anymore unless lag screws me out of IAFs. If Shang wants to spam from afar, just sit in crouch and time your IAF throws- you will hit him but won't get hit by his skull(s). While you're sitting in crotch, most Shangs then think you're about to IAF throw, and they jump at you. That's when you IAF raise and do her 50% combo. Up close Kitana has the edge because her sweep is much longer. I'd say CQC they are very even. Square wave is good but better time it right or you can get caught on a 3 set of skulls on the way up (or down). If Shang is keeping distance, and you can't IAF, then you have no choice other than to 1) jump at him or 2) duck and wait for him to advance/morph. Jumping at Shang is very risky as his skulls are bigger than they seem, so time it with precision.

SHANG
Playing from a distance and skull spamming is a good way to shut Kitana down, but you won't make any new friends. Gauge the level of your opponent's Kitana. If she's can IAF, be cautious. But otherwise definitely sneak in some jump kicks, and try to pressure her up close. His hop kick is extremely quick and effective. Uppercut her anytime she square waves from afar. His HK is also a great anti-air weapon vs her. Morph if you feel more comfortable vs Kitana with a different character. If Kitana is staying away, a quick morph into Jax will get her jumping all over the place. Mileena and Kang, if used properly, can shut her down even more than Tsung can.

Shang, as always, has a toolbox full of options here. The mere fact he can be Mileena the entire match, in my mind, gives him the edge. But with IAFs, Kitana really evens it out.

A 5-5 match-up.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
Jason is correct about not making any friends with Shang in this match. But I do enjoy this one. This match has the biggest health swings in the entire game, it seems like I will get a flawless (or close to it) or get completely destroyed by Kitana's monster combos. Always an interesting match.
Also, I don't understand why people get so mad at Shang's fireball spam, it's his only weapon aside from morphing so it should be expected.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Jason is correct about not making any friends with Shang in this match. But I do enjoy this one. This match has the biggest health swings in the entire game, it seems like I will get a flawless (or close to it) or get completely destroyed by Kitana's monster combos. Always an interesting match.
Also, I don't understand why people get so mad at Shang's fireball spam, it's his only weapon aside from morphing so it should be expected.
Very true all way around.

I recently had one of the best Cage players get mad at me for throwing fireballs when I used Shang. Wasn't even spamming, was just throwing SOME. I think because Shang has the option to morph, people feel he doesn't need to sit and spam skulls. I don't mind it. All you have to do is duck and wait for him to do something else. I've never played any Shangs that will keep spamming if they see you aren't getting hit by them.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Always a tough match for either Tsung or Kitana. Read on...

KITANA
IAFs really help in this match. I hardly lose this one anymore unless lag screws me out of IAFs. If Shang wants to spam from afar, just sit in crouch and time your IAF throws- you will hit him but won't get hit by his skull(s). While you're sitting in crotch, most Shangs then think you're about to IAF throw, and they jump at you. That's when you IAF raise and do her 50% combo. Up close Kitana has the edge because her sweep is much longer. I'd say CQC they are very even. Square wave is good but better time it right or you can get caught on a 3 set of skulls on the way up (or down). If Shang is keeping distance, and you can't IAF, then you have no choice other than to 1) jump at him or 2) duck and wait for him to advance/morph. Jumping at Shang is very risky as his skulls are bigger than they seem, so time it with precision.

SHANG
Playing from a distance and skull spamming is a good way to shut Kitana down, but you won't make any new friends. Gauge the level of your opponent's Kitana. If she's can IAF, be cautious. But otherwise definitely sneak in some jump kicks, and try to pressure her up close. His hop kick is extremely quick and effective. Uppercut her anytime she square waves from afar. His HK is also a great anti-air weapon vs her. Morph if you feel more comfortable vs Kitana with a different character. If Kitana is staying away, a quick morph into Jax will get her jumping all over the place. Mileena and Kang, if used properly, can shut her down even more than Tsung can.

Shang, as always, has a toolbox full of options here. The mere fact he can be Mileena the entire match, in my mind, gives him the edge. But with IAFs, Kitana really evens it out.

A 5-5 match-up.
From playing this exact matchup about 100 times in the last few days, I would have to agree with everything here. IAF is an essential tool in fighting Shang. This matchup is all about patience. Shang's jabs are extremely good so don't let him in.