What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Kitana VS Baraka

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is an uncommon pairing, but one worth discussing for casual play. At first glance this match seems a little unfair given Kitana's zoning abilities, but it's really not as bad for Baraka as it seems.

Baraka does have an amazing JK in this game, but unfortunately it becomes a virtual non-factor given Kitana's fan lift which can lead to 50%+ combo damage. Therefore staying on the ground is pretty much a necessity if playing as Baraka. Baraka will need to inch toward Kitana; always cautious if paired against someone who can throw the IAF. If Kitana can't throw the IAF, then Baraka has some more leeway. Both players need to have their punishers (shredder, fan lift) buffered as often as possible for bad jumps. In terms of CQC, it's almost a dead heat. This match is probably 7-3 in favor of Kitana.
  • Who has the CQC edge?
  • Should either player be in the air for this match?
  • What's the best way to bait a jump from the opponent?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
2 of my favorite fighters :)
With IAFs, the easiest fighters for me to beat with Kitana are Cage and Baraka. Those two just have no options to keep her from remaining in a safe crouch and countering whatever they do. But let's focus on Baraka for this one.

BARAKA
His blade fury (shredder) is a "buyer beware" in this match. Kitana can jump towards him, and fake him out with a quick air fan. I would only use it up close in this match. No one can punish his blade fury like Kitana can with her fan raise combos. Baraka can match Kitana in the sweep game though. Try to sweep her, and then get in and apply jab. For anti-air, his roundhouse is one of the best in MK2 (very underrated). Use that instead of blade fury. You'll need to bait her from afar with a few blade sparks, wait for her to jump, and then roundhouse. Don't be afraid to mix in some JKs and JPs when you deem it safe to do so.

KITANA
With Kitana crouching, Baraka can't do anything to her other than walk in and sweep. If he jumps he eats a 50+% fan raise combo. If you know how to IAF, this is where she puts the nail in his coffin. You can time your IAF throws so that you don't get hit by Baraka's blade spark (as this match usually becomes a battle of turtles spamming). Personally, I think Kitana has the better CQC, but maybe that's coz I'm more comfortable with her. Don't be afraid to be aggressive and chase him down. You want to get him jumpy, and in a corner, where your fan raises can do monster damage.

Hard to say overall. A smart Baraka can be very tough... but you don't see a lot of elite Barakas around. I haven't lost to a Baraka with Kitana in over a year (accepting all lag-free challenges!), so I'm a little biased. Always wanted to play Daegen's (sp?) Baraka... but never seen him on. I'll say it's 8-2 for Kitana.