What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Johnny Cage VS Shang Tsung

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Cage just can't get any love around here, I tell ya...

Shang Tsung can own Cage from anywhere on screen since Cage lacks a decent zoning game and cannot fly or teleport away from skull spam. Skulls are a good bet for success, just make sure you are doing it from full screen as opposed to mid. Cage can still close the gap with a well-timed shadow kick. Up close Shang needs to be a little more cautious, but again CQC is great for Shang. Apply jab pressure and crossovers when possible. Do not give Cage the opportunity to aa or shadow kick, because he will. You can always morph, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Cage needs to stay in close where he does his best work. AA anytime Shang is in the air, pick whatever option works best. Toss a green ball out every now and then to break Shang's fireball spam, but always move toward him. When in close, try for crossover, shadow kick combos. Ballbreakers work pretty well too, but don't abuse it or you'll be blue-balled yourself.

Tough matchup for Cage (like most matches.) I'd say 7-3, Shang.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
It's very hard to close the gap between Cage and a spamming Shang. Your only real play at that point is to trade projectiles, or duck and wait for Shang to change his attack.

Still I think up close they are pretty even. Shang's sweep is better, but he always has to watch out for the shadow kick.
The big difference in this match is Shang's ability to morph into top tier and have his way with Cage.

I win this match ALOT with Cage, which leads me to believe it's not as bad as it seems.
I'll say 7-3 for Shang as well.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
Jason does win this match a lot, but it's also one of the only matchup's that I can actually beat Jason at, and to me that means this is more like a 8-2, or 9-1 for Shang, this is such an uphill battle for Cage. I can't remember the last time I lost this match to anyone besides Jason. It's a slaughter.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Jason does win this match a lot, but it's also one of the only matchup's that I can actually beat Jason at, and to me that means this is more like a 8-2, or 9-1 for Shang, this is such an uphill battle for Cage. I can't remember the last time I lost this match to anyone besides Jason. It's a slaughter.
I don't think it's quite that bad. The skull spam is good at keeping Cage away, but if Cage times low green balls right, he wins the spamfest vs Shang. This is a losing strategy for Shang, so then he usually either morphs, or takes the fight to Johnny (which is what JC wants). And yes Shang can morph into top tier for the majority of the match, but he is punishable as he morphs back and forth. That's a good time for Cage to sneak in a shadow kick.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
true, but when vs an elite Cage I would never rush to trade that first fireball, I always mix it up/ keep him guessing to earn the life lead. Once I have it it's curtains for Johnny. Shang's Fireballs are just too fast, his zoning is unmatched by anyone that's not top tier.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
true, but when vs an elite Cage I would never rush to trade that first fireball, I always mix it up/ keep him guessing to earn the life lead. Once I have it it's curtains for Johnny. Shang's Fireballs are just too fast, his zoning is unmatched by anyone that's not top tier.
Yeah it's hard for Johnny to close the gap through Shang's skulls. Not impossible though, just takes great timing and probably a little luck.