What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Johnny Cage MIRROR

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
A fantasic mirror- Cage vs Cage is a match where you will almost definitely see some in-close combat.
Cage works wonders up close. Though vs himself, it is a little harder than usual to apply jab.
Here are some tips that you can apply to improve your results in Cage mirrors:

DO's:

- Expect your opponent to jump at you. Cage has no teleport or slide in which to get close to you. His walk is very slow as well, so often Cage takes to the sky. When he does, anti-air him with a HK, uppercut, or straight up jump kick.

- Shadow kick from crouch. It comes out instantly and will usually catch your opponent. If not, it's generally surprising enough that you don't eat an uppercut as punishment.

- Mix up high and low green ball projectiles from afar. Especially if you are one hit away from winning.

- Be aggressive up close. Use crossover kicks to keep your opponent defensive. Crouch punches, low toes, ballbreakers, shadow kicks... the list goes on. You can serve up some nasty CQC on a plate. Just be mindful your mirror can do the same to you!

DON'T's:

- Don't throw green balls from within sweep distance. Cage can duck and shadow kick you.

- Avoid jumping a ton, as Cage has lots of reliable anti-airs.

- Using the ballbreaker in a predictable manner, will get you slaughtered. It's best snuck in on occasion, or done when you duck a shadow kick from Cage.

- Randomly doing the rising uppercut and HOPING it will connect, is a sure-fire way to die fast. Only use it as a surprise tactic up close. Cage's HK and uppercut are much more reliable anti-airs.

JOHNNY CAGE STATS (according to mortal_jason):

Tier Rank: 10
Best Special: Shadow Kick
Worst Special: Rising Uppercut
Best Normal: Straight Up Jump Kick
Worst Normal: Roundhouse
Awesome Cage Players To Youtube: real_talk718, ProjectilePoint, Bily_Bats1427

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
As I've mentioned many times, the ballbreaker is nothing more than a joke move. If it gets blocked in this match, Cage #2 can counter with an axe-kick launcher into a shadow kick (or worse if cornered.)

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
As I've mentioned many times, the ballbreaker is nothing more than a joke move. If it gets blocked in this match, Cage #2 can counter with an axe-kick launcher into a shadow kick (or worse if cornered.)
It should get a free hit afterwards like Jax's Hammer Punch. As it is, the risk is not worth the reward. It's a somewhat effective move in certain matches, but Cage mirrors are not really one of them.

Do you think Raiden's shock grab is a joke move too? I think the ballbreaker and shock grab are very similar. They are both used in pretty much the same scenarios and are both very punishable if blocked. The ballbreaker serves as a deterrent just like the shock grab does. The ballbreaker is also not punished as consistently as the shock grab because a certain timing is involved.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Do you think Raiden's shock grab is a joke move too? I think the ballbreaker and shock grab are very similar. They are both used in pretty much the same scenarios and are both very punishable if blocked. The ballbreaker serves as a deterrent just like the shock grab does. The ballbreaker is also not punished as consistently as the shock grab because a certain timing is involved.
Raiden's shocker is far from a joke move because you are guaranteed multiple hits afterward. The ballbreaker does not allow for a followup, rendering it not nearly as effective.

Raiden's shocker is far from a joke move because you are guaranteed multiple hits afterward. The ballbreaker does not allow for a followup, rendering it not nearly as effective.
The ballbreaker guarantees you a fair amount of chip damage afterward. Not as much as the shock grab, but I think the ballbreaker is still a very viable option.

edit* Like I said before, it also acts as a deterrent to pressure, which can be just as valuable as the damage done from the move.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I think it's a nice jab option. Certainly it's harder to beat the girls because he doesn't have that extra special move vs them.
Bill makes a good point about Raiden's Shock getting a free hit. And Mike's right, the Ballbreaker gets you at least a little bit of chip (or an uppercut if you're playing a noob!). I love the Ballbreaker, I just know it gets me murdered in Cage mirrors vs anyone relatively good.