What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Jax VS Scorpion

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This match has domination and turtle killer written all over it. If you run into a Scorpion player who likes to run away all day, Jax is the perfect answer.

The Scorpion player who likes to turtle the whole match will be hard pressed to do that against Jax as his ground pound alone forces Scorpion to play aggressive. This puts Jax into position to counter with his aaHK, backbreaker, or combo of choice. Scorpion will need to be smart and safe with his teleports to have a chance here. Keep a close eye on the GP animation, then teleport in and start raising hell. All things considered, this is honestly an 8-2 match in favor of Jax.
  • What is Scorpion's best bet to make this an even contest?
  • What is the best way to punish Scorpion on a failed jump/teleport?
  • How often should Jax be in the air here, if ever?

Tbh, I haven't played MKII in a while, but bare with me. I think Jax wins this MU because he's a better turtle character, and I feel like he's better in close range than Scorpion is. Jax's HK was pretty good from what I remember. I know for sure that Scorpion's Air Throw has better priority in the air, and will beat Jax's Back Breaker. Spear is a non-factor in the MU. Teleport Punch can be effective, but can be baited as well. Scorpion must be aggressive in order to win this MU. Being a turtle is not an option IMO.
MKillBill

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Tbh, I haven't played MKII in a while, but bare with me. I think Jax wins this MU because he's a better turtle character, and I feel like he's better in close range than Scorpion is. Jax's HK was pretty good from what I remember. I know for sure that Scorpion's Air Throw has better priority in the air, and will beat Jax's Back Breaker. Spear is a non-factor in the MU. Teleport Punch can be effective, but can be baited as well. Scorpion must be aggressive in order to win this MU. Being a turtle is not an option IMO.
MKillBill
For not playing in a while, you hit the matchup on the head pretty well :)

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Not a very fun match IMO, it's just so lopsided. That said, I have many times found ways to lose this match with Jax, and yet also, pulled out wins vs elite Jaxs with Scorpion. I believe Scorpion is the best ninja of the 3 to take down Jax (that isn't saying much) and he ain't got nuthin' to lose in this one.

SCORPION
Scorpion must be agressive, absolutely. You might as well just concede the match if you're going to try and out-turtle Jax. Just go crazy with sweeps and jab (or whatever it is Scorpion has up close). Time teleport punches precisely, and try to use jump-around kicks to pressure Jax into jumping into your air throws. Probably will be all for naught against a great Jax, but it's your only real chance with Scorp. Spear will just get blocked and punished with a ground pound, but throw a few to keep Jax honest.

JAX
Don't jump. LOL. With golden punches, MGPs, his anti-air HK, etc etc etc... Jax should be just fine. Using ground pound, wave punch and AA's, Jax can turtle all day to win. But he can also be aggressive up close, something he can't do too successfully against many of the other fighters. Land a hammer punch i.e., and that's pretty much the round right there after you take your next free hit.

Overall 9-1 for Jax. I'm guessing the best Scorpion vs the best Jax would be hard-pressed to even get 1 win out of 10.

1) When I play Scorpion against Jax, I like to sweep a lot and avoid jumping as much as I can. Force Jax to jump over you, (if you can) once you back him in a corner, stay close, avoid a coming jump kick and try some CQC. I'm often surprised at how well this works sometimes. Sometimes I'll absorb some ground pounds to get close instead of dealing with AA High Kicks. I like all the ninjas VS Jax even though I lose more than I win.
2) Most people will usually just give me a good high kick.
3) I have never liked jumping against Scorpion with anyone.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
1) When I play Scorpion against Jax, I like to sweep a lot and avoid jumping as much as I can. Force Jax to jump over you, (if you can) once you back him in a corner, stay close, avoid a coming jump kick and try some CQC. I'm often surprised at how well this works sometimes. Sometimes I'll absorb some ground pounds to get close instead of dealing with AA High Kicks. I like all the ninjas VS Jax even though I lose more than I win.
2) Most people will usually just give me a good high kick.
3) I have never liked jumping against Scorpion with anyone.
I agree that walking toward Jax is a good strategy; however to help eliminate the ground pound absorption you can throw in a forward spear via analog controls. That would force Jax to be more cautious and start walking toward you instead, since both players will be cautious about jumping due to aa and air throws.

Analog controls can suck it. I don't throw forward walking spears, double spears, (because it looks dumb), do multiple ground pounds or bicycles, (unless by accident), perform IAFans/Fireballs because I'm not sure how and don't really care, or that double Kung Lao dive kick setup that Mike Caldwell murdalizes me with. I don't care if people use these advantages. It's always interesting to see something new.

But yeah, that forward walking spear would help eliminate the ground pound threat.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Analog controls can suck it. I don't throw forward walking spears, double spears, (because it looks dumb), do multiple ground pounds or bicycles, (unless by accident), perform IAFans/Fireballs because I'm not sure how and don't really care, or that double Kung Lao dive kick setup that Mike Caldwell murdalizes me with. I don't care if people use these advantages. It's always interesting to see something new.

But yeah, that forward walking spear would help eliminate the ground pound threat.
You can hate the analog stuff all you want, but it's an evolution of the game. If you fail to evolve you will be left behind in the dust.

I like the analog stuff, but it can still suck it because people make me pay with it, lol. There needs to be a movement to decide the best ways to tackle these abominations.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I like the analog stuff, but it can still suck it because people make me pay with it, lol. There needs to be a movement to decide the best ways to tackle these abominations.
Analogs really only work well vs bad players, or against good players the first few times you play them. Also many times with laggy connections, I will whiff IAFs etc, and get punished. So it can be a liability rather than a weapon. It's an art to be able to use analogs well, but sometimes it's just easier to play old school.

Revenant

Noob
Scorpion can win if he's aggressive, but it's still an uphill battle on many levels. I've tried to play defensively against Jax before by using teleport-Punch to avoid Jax's ground pound. It's incredibly difficult to pull off though.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Scorpion can win if he's aggressive, but it's still an uphill battle on many levels. I've tried to play defensively against Jax before by using teleport-Punch to avoid Jax's ground pound. It's incredibly difficult to pull off though.
Do you play on PS3? If so what's your tag?