What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Jax VS Liu Kang

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is a main event match when it comes to MK2. Depending on who is playing each character, it could easily go either way.

For Kang, his typical arsenal of fireballs will come in handy; but he needs to be ever cautious of Jax's GP. For this reason, Kang will often find himself in the air. The IAF can shut down the threat of the GP, unless of course Jax knows how to MGP. If it comes down to a battle of fireball VS GP, Kang wins by a slight edge of an additional 0.5% damage. For that reason, do not be afraid to trade special move damage as long as you have a life lead. CQC wise, Jax has an edge so Kang will want to play a keep away game whenever possible. If Jax gets in close, keep him away with low toes. Uppercut all jump-ins or look for aaHP, bicycle kick. Above all else, be extremely careful when using the flying kick and bicycle as a block will lead to a JK, backbreaker combo for big damage. If Kang plays keep away, he can win this match; though it isn't easy.

For Jax, the key is disrupting Kang's fireball assault with the GP. Make sure he won't be jumping then let one loose. The wave blast also works well. Even better, if you can fake Kang into jumping from close range, meet him in the air with a JK, backbreaker. From in close range, always try to go for the quadra slam. If Kang pushes you out of the way while applying jab pressure, use a GP to get counter damage. Another great strategy for Jax in close is to apply crossover pressure while constantly mashing Block; always looking for a backbreaker in case Kang tries to jump away. When Jax lands, mash LP looking for the quadra slam. Keep up the pressure in this manner and do not let Kang get away for a better chance of success. Always be wary of Kang from mid-screen as this is when he will usually attempt a sneaky flying or bicycle kick. Block them and counter with whatever you please.

This match can easily go either way depending on who is playing and where the match is taking place; either from up close or far away. For that reason, I think this is a 5-5 match.
  • How can Kang escape crossover pressure?
  • Should Jax play this match from far away or up close?
  • What are the best corner options for both players?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
If you're sick and tired of getting owned by Liu Kang, then picking Jax is your best bet. At his finest, Jax will bash Kang around like a rag doll, and look like an impenetrable tank. Kang's speed and fireballs will force Jax to play more cautious than usual however.

KANG
Against most fighters, a barrage of high, low, and instant air fireballs is a good strategy. That's no different in this match. You can really confuse even the best Jaxs with this play. At the very least you're doing a bunch of chip damage. At the best, you're knocking Jax out of jump-ins or hitting him before he ground pounds/wave punches. Kang also does well to pressure Jax up close with sweeps, punches and jabs. Flying/bicycle kicks will really get you killed fast if blocked, so only sneak them in occasionally. A great Jax won't jump much, but when he does, anti-air with uppercut, aaHK or aaHP/bike kick. I'm very successful against many Jaxs by throwing a lot of fireballs, but then getting super aggressive. Jax does not like to be pressured, and if he throws a HK to try to keep you away, you can duck and bicycle kick him. Low toes are great at keeping Jax from ground pounding when you're within sweep distance.

JAX
Golden punches per usual, make Jax a brick wall. You'll eat lots of chip damage in this match doing that, but if you get good at them, you will basically be untouchable. Block all low fireballs and instantly do a ground pound. Throw wave punches from afar to keep Kang honest. Punish all flying attacks by blocking and JK/backbreaking. Crouch punch, crouch punch, ground pound is an excellent play when Kang tries to move in close. If Kang gets predictable with air fireballs, HK him out of the air. Jumping in this match is a toss-up. If you connect with Kang in the air you can combo it with a backbreaker. Also if he low fireballs as you JK him, you can get a ground pound in before Liu can recover. But jumping is also a dangerous play vs the speed and spam of Kang. You'll notice the best Jax players RARELY jump, especially in this match.

Could any Kangs touch XiongBros' Jax? He played before my time on PS3, but from what I've seen and heard, no.
Jax at his best is too much for Kang.

7-3 for Jax.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Could any Kangs touch XiongBros' Jax? He played before my time on PS3, but from what I've seen and heard, no.
Jax at his best is too much for Kang.

7-3 for Jax.
While XiongBros was/were an incredible player/s, you have to realize that they are located in Alaska. Similar to Ahimsa who is located in Hawaii, the lag they played in was ridiculous. Pulling off MGP is a lot easier under those conditions and you can see everything coming from a mile away. Not saying they couldn't compete with today's crop of talent, but I'd like to see how well they do against Scorpangel in zero lag.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
While XiongBros was/were an incredible player/s, you have to realize that they are located in Alaska. Similar to Ahimsa who is located in Hawaii, the lag they played in was ridiculous. Pulling off MGP is a lot easier under those conditions and you can see everything coming from a mile away. Not saying they couldn't compete with today's crop of talent, but I'd like to see how well they do against Scorpangel in zero lag.
Yes I heard that they always lagged. Some people play better in lag (splendormk9 comes to mind LOL) and Jax is definitely the most dangerous if mastered in those conditions.

I haven't done too many Jax vs Liu with Scorpangel, but when we do, we usually go even in that match. My Jax is good, but hardly perfected.
We'd need to see someone like DVD's Jax vs Scorpangel's Kang to get a better idea. Are there any videos of that?