What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Sub Zero

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Tank warfare!

Sub Zero can slide (no pun intended) right into his comfort zone because Baraka lacks a real zoning threat. Most of the time he can sit back looking for counter opportunities. aaRH all jump-ins, but make sure the spacing is exact or else Baraka can still break through now and again. Baraka will likely walk toward you, so as he gets closer look for a quick slide or ground freeze opportunity. Don't abuse the slide unless you enjoy getting shredded. Counter missed shredders with ice, JK, ground freeze, uppercut.

Baraka can do some big-time damage up close in this match. The problem, though, is breaking through Subby's defenses. Jumping is ill-advised unless done as a crossover. DO NOT throw spark blades at all unless you are asking to get frozen. Once inside, apply whatever concoction of CQC your diabolical mind can come up with. Be careful with shredders as they are highly punishable if whiffed or blocked. Best used for AA counters.

It's close, but because of his great defense Sub-Zero holds a slight edge of about 6-4.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
I love this match-up, Jason's Baraka is wicked and hard to beat. But always a fun one. And playing as Baraka against a clueless Sub is even more fun. Nothing like a brutal Baraka beat down!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Ahhh Baraka vs Sub...
In my novice days of playing MK2, I would have said Sub wins this 9-1.

Today I believe it to be a 5-5 match. Why?

Baraka will crush Sub in CQC- getting in there is the only real challenge for him.
He can both counter Sub's slide, and AA him with the shredder.
Sub's best asset at keeping opponents at bay is his aaRH. But Baraka is very tricky for the ninjas to roundhouse, especially if he's mixing up JKs and JPs.
The only thing Sub really has on Baraka is the projectile exchange. For some moronic reason, the creators gave Kang a projectile (low fb) that hits Sub without Kang getting hit. Yet they made Baraka's projectile not even hit Sub at all when he throws a freeze. :confused:

Anyway, so yeah avoid blade sparks with Baraka except to bait freezes, so that you can JK Subby.
This match is really easy against a stupid Baraka, because they just throw blade sparks and scratch their heads.
General opinion amongst MK2 players seems to be that Sub-Zero is a counter to Reptile and Baraka.
I disagree, and I think Sub has very close matches with both those two.

After fighting Scorpions, Mileenas, and Kangs with Baraka... facing Sub-Zero seems a whole lot easier, because he can be more aggressive without as much consequence.

Sub0's-Icy-Balls

Frozen Death (ANTI-TIERIST)
Sub is a great counter to Reptile, I was playing RealTalk last night, and the only matches I won was vs Reptile. Sub can shut him down!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Not so! It's pretty even. Sub-Zero is the easiest for me to beat with Reptile.
I'd have to agree with Icy Balls here. To say Reptile basically waxes Subby is a bit of a stretch IMO. I remember back when AriaDelano still played regularly and we had Sub/Reptile matches. He had one of the best Reptiles at the time and my Sub bashed him around pretty good.

Not so! It's pretty even. Sub-Zero is the easiest for me to beat with Reptile.
Again Jason, you're talking about against average players. High level players won't slide at you everytime you go invisible. I destroy most Kitanas with Reptile, but it's not even close to an even matchup. Same thing applies here.

edit* I know you're capable of winning with Reptile against Sub, but my point is that you have to play better than your opponent to make that happen. Sub can make mistakes. Reptile can't.

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
well I meant against players of all levels, but it's true Reptile can't afford any mistakes vs Sub.
I still believe Baraka and Reptile are underrated vs Sub-Zero.

Who do find easiest to beat with Reptile (besides mirrors)?

well I meant against players of all levels, but it's true Reptile can't afford any mistakes vs Sub.
I still believe Baraka and Reptile are underrated vs Sub-Zero.

Who do find easiest to beat with Reptile (besides mirrors)?
Any character that's easy to stay invisible against. I actually have the easiest time against Kitana.

edit* Keep in mind, only a handful of kitanas throw instant air fans. I would also rather be against Cage with Reptile too.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Any character that's easy to stay invisible against. I actually have the easiest time against Kitana.

edit* Keep in mind, only a handful of kitanas throw instant air fans. I would also rather be against Cage with Reptile too.
Yeah Kitana without IAFs is screwed when Reptile is invisible. I guess it's just personal preference, I lose to Cage with Reptile way more than Sub.

I can't help but feel bad the Baraka vs Sub thread has been taken over by Reptile talk hehe.

This is a even match-up baraka has CQC waaaaay better then sub zero. Baraka jump kicks and jump punchs can be hard to counter when jumping. Sub zero has to play the distance game with baraka and use that freeze on the ground to his ability. The ninjas are nothing in this game compared to alot of characters that have good jab pressures.