What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Shang Tsung

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Not a very common matchup you'll run across, but it features two CQC experts worthy of a good feud.

Baraka has one of the best CQC games in all of MK2. He has one of the best JK's in all of MK2. Unfortunately for him, Shang is not only on par with him, but better. Shang throws in an even better CQC jab pressuring game, combined with a faster sweep, and a JK that is right on par with Baraka. What really sets Shang apart and makes him the beast here is his zoning game. Shang can mix in a barage of fireballs and all Baraka can do is counter with a wimpy blade spark. If Shang wanted to, he could go to a corner, spam triple fireballs all day, and have a relatively easy time here. When Baraka gets close, he would be able to outsweep Shang from the correct range as Baraka's sweep does extend a tad further than Shang's. From there Baraka could start up his in close game. Unfortunately for Baraka, the wildcard here is being able to morph. Shang can easily morph to a teleporter to get away, or to top tier and have his way with Baraka.

Given the number of options working in Shang's favor, I'd say this is 7-3 for Shang... possibly 8-2 if playing a skull spammer who knows how to play keep away.

Last edited:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I had my normal spiel written out, but TYM must have been down for maintenance or something, coz it wouldn't post.
I'll just second everything you guys said above! 7-3 for Shang.