What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Reptile

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Two lower tiered characters facing off in an uncommon matchup where projectiles may come into play a bit.

For Baraka, his monstrous CQC game will pay big dividends here. If he gets in close to Reptile, it's going to be extremely difficult for the green-hooded one to get out. Best bet for success is to trap Reptile in the corner, apply serious pressure, and look for corner combos. Multi-blade swipes, double kicks, and a shredder to finish it off. In general, be careful with the shredder as a missed one will lead to a decent punish from Reptile. Do not be afraid to jump in on Reptile despite his awesome aaRH. Baraka's JK is very difficult to counter unless the timing is perfect so feel free to take a chance every now and again. If Reptile gets spam happy with his acid, return fire with the blade spark as it does 6% more damage per use. The only thing Baraka really needs to be concerned with here is Reptile going invisible. In that case, listen closely for slides and punish with the shredder or an uppercut.

Reptile needs to play the game of deception to win this match. Invisibility is key along with getting the opponent to jump via a barrage of acid spits and the occasional forceball. Slide under all blade sparks. Counter JKs with well-timed RH's. If Baraka misses the shredder, use it as an opportunity to go invisible, then throw a forceball, duck LP, uppercut. Don't be afraid to slide on occasion, but abuse of it will lead to disaster.

Baraka shouldn't have a lot of problems with this match, provided he doesn't let Reptile go invisible. However, with the lack of a zoning game on Baraka's part, I'd say this is only a 7-3 advantage for Baraka.
  • Best CQC options for Reptile?
  • Best way to get either player to jump?
  • Best combo options for Baraka?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Usually I feel I have something to add, but you said it all pretty much here!
I think it's important to remember that while Reptile is almost indisputably 12th on the tier, Baraka is arguably as high as 6.
I'd put him around 8th, making him low mid-tier. Therefore, he SHOULD win this match.

REPTILE
Invisibility is your key to victory. And Baraka doesn't have too many weapons to keep that from happening. When you're invisible, you really can control this match. Anti-air roundhousing Baraka is pretty easy on OG, but a nightmare on MKAK (maybe just me?). As soon as you go invisible, expect Baraka to throw a blade spark in an attempt to find you. Slide him when he does. Also, crossovers when you're invisible really confuse Baraka. Forceball and spit are pretty good vs him because his spark is slow, but only do them from far away (and preferably while invisible!).

BARAKA
As long as you're always chasing Reptile down, you should be fine. All blocked slides can be punished with shredder for big damage. The goal is to pressure Reptile with your CQC. Baraka's fast walk, and awesome sweep will make getting in possible. Baraka can easily anti-air roundhouse all the ninjas as well. Blade spark is good if Reptile wants to trade projectiles from afar. Do it too much though and Reptile will slide you. Only use the shredder when you know it will score, because Reptile's forceball/uppercut combo does massive damage (for Reptile at least!)

Ahh back in the day I thought these were the 2 worst fighters in MK2, and that this was a very even match.
Welcome to reality- Baraka wins 7-3.

Don't care what anyone says in this match-up your only best bet is to rely on the Invisibility. Try to stay AWAY from Baraka at ALL times, sweep him whenever you get a chance to if Baraka is in your face. The bomb might display your position but mix it up with aaRH and aaC.HK *my best strageties* and then the occasional fireball.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Don't care what anyone says in this match-up your only best bet is to rely on the Invisibility. Try to stay AWAY from Baraka at ALL times, sweep him whenever you get a chance to if Baraka is in your face. The bomb might display your position but mix it up with aaRH and aaC.HK *my best strageties* and then the occasional fireball.
Neither Reptile nor Baraka have a "bomb" or a "fireball".
And you are NOT going to anti-air Baraka with Reptile's crouch HK. Nor will you anti-air Reptile with Baraka's terrible c.HK.

But yes, the invisibility is your best bet.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Neither Reptile nor Baraka have a "bomb" or a "fireball".
And you are NOT going to anti-air Baraka with Reptile's crouch HK. Nor will you anti-air Reptile with Baraka's terrible c.HK.

But yes, the invisibility is your best bet.
I think he's referring to the forceball.