What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Raiden

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This is a very good matchup and one that is much closer than most people think.

Raiden's best bet for success here is to match Baraka's playstyle. Jumping in will result in a shredder punish or an aaRH. Get in close and apply the jab pressure, shocker, etc. Feel free to teleport on occasion, but do not spam it or you will eat a shredder. If you notice Baraka golden punching the air, he is actually buffering a shredder. DO NOT TELEPORT when this is going on. Just walk in and sweep, toss a bolt, or superman. Supermans can work well here and they will frustrate a Baraka player who doesn't know what to do. Don't spam them or you will get punished with a dropkick.

Baraka really needs to worry about superman spam and that's about it here. If that happens, counter with a JK or a quick blade spark. Or just WALK toward him and anticipate a teleport with an uppercut (the typical Raiden player will teleport away from a jumper.) He has a multitude of ways to punish Raiden just as does Kitana. Always be ready to buffer the shredder in case of a jump-in or teleport. Most Raiden players will immediately teleport after a failed superman. Anticipate it and buffer the shredder. If you get in close, apply jabs, double kicks, blade swipes, whatever. Just mix it up and be unpredictable.

Slight edge to Raiden because he can get out of danger quickly with his teleport. Advantage Raiden, 6-4
  • How can Baraka best counter superman spam?
  • How often should Raiden superman?
  • Better CQC?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Believe it or not, Baraka MAY have the advantage in this match...

BARAKA
If you don't know how to deal with Raiden superman spamming, then this will be a very difficult match for your Baraka. However, Baraka has some of the best counters to Raiden in MK2. If Raiden gets superman-happy, just crouch block, and immediately jump kick- you will rarely miss punishing with that. And the most obvious counter, buffering the shredder, for when Raiden teleports. Trap Raiden in a corner and golden punch LP while buffering the shredder. If Raiden tries to escape, he will get hit by either your punches, or a shredder if he teleports out. Baraka's jump punch will beat Raiden almost every time in the air. If you face an especially turtley Raiden, try to force them to teleport into a corner, and then be aggressive.

RAIDEN
If you're playing a dud Baraka, have no fear- just superman all day and you'll be fine. If you're playing a stud Baraka however, you will need to play this match extremely smart. Do not get predictable with your supermans. Only teleport when you can see Baraka isn't buffering the shredder. Avoid corners- you will meet your demise in them. A good play is jump punch/air superman, because Raiden's jump punch gets air priority (surprisingly) often against Baraka. Sneak in a shock grab when in close, but don't spend too much time there, as Baraka has the better CQC. Lightning bolt is good as a zoning tool, because Baraka is pretty one-dimensional if you keep your distance from him.

I lose more matches to Raiden with Mileena than I do to Raiden with Baraka. This is not a fluke. Baraka has the weapons to bash Raiden around like a ragdoll. He is also incredibly tank-like if used properly. Yet Raiden is never without his resources. With his tricky teleports and supermans, he will give Baraka a good challenge.

A 5-5 match, one of the best in MK2 as far as evenness goes.

Reactions: MKB
Same thing applies in this matchup as it does in the Kitana matchup. The reverse shredder can be baited. I have a hard time calling this one even, so I gotta give the slight advantage to Raiden.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Same thing applies in this matchup as it does in the Kitana matchup. The reverse shredder can be baited. I have a hard time calling this one even, so I gotta give the slight advantage to Raiden.
I've never seen anyone bait and block the shredder... it's possible? I guess I'll have to try later.
In any event, I argue that it's even based on the fact that Baraka has such a reliable punisher off of blocking supermans (duck block and JK).
Baraka wins most air battles vs Raiden, and it is so hard to anti-air him.
In any kind of lag, definite advantage Raiden, because getting a JK in after blocking supermans is a lot tougher.

I've never seen anyone bait and block the shredder... it's possible? I guess I'll have to try later.
In any event, I argue that it's even based on the fact that Baraka has such a reliable punisher off of blocking supermans (duck block and JK).
Baraka wins most air battles vs Raiden, and it is so hard to anti-air him.
In any kind of lag, definite advantage Raiden, because getting a JK in after blocking supermans is a lot tougher.
Raiden easily sweeps under baraka's jk. It will obviously be blocked most of the time, but it does chip and allows Raiden to escape or do whatever. His punisher on the superman is more reliable that most, but a good Raiden will probably only throw out a couple supermans per round. To punish it you will have to be expecting it for the most part, which is easier said than done.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Raiden easily sweeps under baraka's jk. It will obviously be blocked most of the time, but it does chip and allows Raiden to escape or do whatever. His punisher on the superman is more reliable that most, but a good Raiden will probably only throw out a couple supermans per round. To punish it you will have to be expecting it for the most part, which is easier said than done.
You make good points, and yes it's easier said than done to anticipate an elite Raiden's superman.
Raiden has more options- he is faster, trickier, harder to predict. But I think a tank Baraka can really take it to him.
I will not concede that Raiden has the edge here just yet ;) But you certainly could be right that he does.

Either way... a really fun match for Baraka!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
You make good points, and yes it's easier said than done to anticipate an elite Raiden's superman.
Raiden has more options- he is faster, trickier, harder to predict. But I think a tank Baraka can really take it to him.
I will not concede that Raiden has the edge here just yet ;) But you certainly could be right that he does.

Either way... a really fun match for Baraka!
Insta air supermans alone give Raiden an edge, assuming you can pull them off of course...

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Insta air supermans alone give Raiden an edge, assuming you can pull them off of course...
Air supermans of any kind are a bad idea against a tank Baraka who will duck under them and shredder as Raiden comes down.
Overall I would say it's even, with Raiden having the slightest of edges because he's fast and unpredictable.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
MIKECALDWELL and I did a few Baraka vs Raiden matches last night, and Mike said over the mic that I might be right about this match-up :). Both matches we did were 3rd round close encounters! I think we both won with Baraka, but I can't remember.

MIKECALDWELL and I did a few Baraka vs Raiden matches last night, and Mike said over the mic that I might be right about this match-up :). Both matches we did were 3rd round close encounters! I think we both won with Baraka, but I can't remember.
I would rather you play a guy like billy or btbb to determine this for sure, because Raiden is without a doubt my worst character.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I would rather you play a guy like billy or btbb to determine this for sure, because Raiden is without a doubt my worst character.
I'd throw davidgem in there too. Raiden is easily one of his top 2 characters.

not sure if this applies or helps anyone but there is a cool trick against Baraka. If baraka performs a shredder, walk up to him, jab-block-cancel(1 jab), then WHILE he is shredding, you can walk up to him in the blades and nothing happens to you.....baraka becomes a sitting duck.

jab-cancel, you get pushed back 1 stance, then you can sit in the blades and take a shower, punish or whatever you want. try it...

not sure if this applies or helps anyone but there is a cool trick against Baraka. If baraka performs a shredder, walk up to him, jab-block-cancel(1 jab), then WHILE he is shredding, you can walk up to him in the blades and nothing happens to you.....baraka becomes a sitting duck.

jab-cancel, you get pushed back 1 stance, then you can sit in the blades and take a shower, punish or whatever you want. try it...
yea that's a good trick against baraka. The same thing applies to Kitana's fan raise. I think I would just teleport behind him for the shock grab in this particular matchup though.

yea that's a good trick against baraka. The same thing applies to Kitana's fan raise. I think I would just teleport behind him for the shock grab in this particular matchup though.
wait, is it possible to just walk up into his blades and block? or will you get caught in blades?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
wait, is it possible to just walk up into his blades and block? or will you get caught in blades?
If you block it shouldn't matter; same with Kitana's fan lift. Once the move is blocked, though, you need to act quickly to punish as the animation only lasts for another second, if that.

If you block it shouldn't matter; same with Kitana's fan lift. Once the move is blocked, though, you need to act quickly to punish as the animation only lasts for another second, if that.
interesting, then they may be diff with the block vs cancel block, when I do the cancel block you can have like 2-3 seconds to abuse baraka sitting inside his blades, but im still unsure

interesting, then they may be diff with the block vs cancel block, when I do the cancel block you can have like 2-3 seconds to abuse baraka sitting inside his blades, but im still unsure
Regular block and cancel block do the same thing. It basically gives you enough time to walk through the shredder and uppercut. You don't really have enough time to sit there and think about how you're gonna punish it.

Regular block and cancel block do the same thing. It basically gives you enough time to walk through the shredder and uppercut. You don't really have enough time to sit there and think about how you're gonna punish it.
ah I see, yeah does make sense.

are any of you doing insta-supermans with raiden? ive done one once lol. with kitana, im buffing iAFs in air, as soon as hit ground...pop!!!

ah I see, yeah does make sense.

are any of you doing insta-supermans with raiden? ive done one once lol. with kitana, im buffing iAFs in air, as soon as hit ground...pop!!!
Watch the video I posted on doing instant moves with the dpad. I can do the instant air superman, but I never use it in a match. I can do Kitana's IAFs alot of different ways.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Your worst character is better than 99.9% of everyone else's BEST characters haha. You played Raiden very well, and like you said on mic "I'm gonna play him like everybody else plays him..." and you teleported away every time I jumped at you. That's how Raiden can be uber frustrating, it was tricky and showed you know Raiden pretty well.

I haven't played too many elites lately my Baraka vs their Raiden. It would be fun though, I love this match. I think it's important to say though that my Baraka is nowhere near maxxed out. I'm still learning things with him. I'd say mine is one of the best out there, but mostly just because I don't know any other top players that use Baraka.