What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Liu Kang

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
If Baraka gets in close, he has a chance, but that's not saying very much...

Kang will want to play a keep away game here with a mix of fireballs, high, low, and IAF. If done effectively, Baraka will eat a ton of chip damage, jump in, and eat an uppercut. The uppercut will need to be timed perfectly or the JK will break through from time to time. If Baraka does break through the firewall, use low toes to keep him away. Most Baraka players will jump in looking for shredders against a ducking Kang. Block it and immediately counter with a bicycle or flying kick.

Baraka needs to be aggressive because his zoning game is non-existent. He will be eating a lot of fireball chip damage in this matchup. Against anyone else aside from maybe Mileena, Baraka's CQC would be highly effective. Unfortunately, Kang can easily low toe out of much of it. This pretty much reduces Baraka's effectiveness in this match to finding the sweet spot for sweeps. Once you land a few, Kang players tend to either jump away or use a flying kick on wakeup. Blade spark all jump aways and punish all special kicks with blade swipe, JK for max damage.

Might as well call this one Scorpion/Kang 1A. Kang wins going away, 9-1.

Last edited:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
The video demonstrates the brokenness of Kang's low tow. However, if you start sweeping with Baraka, it forces Kang to revert to a different strategy. I actually enjoy this match with Baraka. Unless I'm playing the best of the best, I usually beat Kang.
Baraka's JK is massive, but if Kang starts aaUppercutting you, mix in JPs with your JKs.

Does anyone else find it way easier to aaUppercut Baraka with Kang on og MK2? I guess it's the speed difference, and spacing of my scrunched in picture on my tv, but I have a hard time uppercutting him out of the air on MKAK.

It's still definitely a hard match for Baraka. With IAFs, you can pretty much shut Baraka down, making him eat chip damage until he jumps into your IAF. You really don't even need IAF, just do a JP/air fireball- Kang's JP somehow even beats Baraka's air attacks (ridiculous).

Don't underestimate a sick Baraka!
7-3 for Kang.

Jason, these random guys you are playing don't count. The whole point of these matchup threads are to compare equally skilled players. I would have to agree with Bill on this one and say it's close to a 9-1 matchup. Why do you feel like this is any different than the Liu vs Cage matchup? Both Baraka and Cage get easily zoned. If anything, Cage has a smaller hitbox, so he's in a better position to win.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
this mu wrecked my head something serious as a kid.
its what started the hate i have for liu kang,which still burns strong :mad:

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Jason, these random guys you are playing don't count. The whole point of these matchup threads are to compare equally skilled players. I would have to agree with Bill on this one and say it's close to a 9-1 matchup. Why do you feel like this is any different than the Liu vs Cage matchup? Both Baraka and Cage get easily zoned. If anything, Cage has a smaller hitbox, so he's in a better position to win.
3 Main Reasons-

1- It's easier to hit Cage in the air with Liu's fireballs (his feet catch on EVERYTHING- so annoying), Baraka's JP avoids alot
2- Baraka's jump kick/punch are harder for Kang to anti-air
3- Cage's sweep is not nearly as effective as Baraka's, which some argue is the best in MK2

It's true I don't get to play elites too often, but I have played alot of very good Kangs.
But you guys are probably right- vs Scorpangel's Kang any elite Baraka would probably go 1-9.
I just don't believe this match is as difficult as Reptile, Subz, Cage or Scorpion vs Kang.
I'm biased though coz Baraka is one of my boys.

I'll concede one... 8-2 for Kang :cool: