What's new

Match-up Discussion MK2 Baraka VS Johnny Cage

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
VS

Rules of this discussion:
  • You may contribute anything that will further the interest and understanding of the matchup. This includes strategies, videos, combos, etc.
  • Feel free to answer the default questions posed in the first reply, though you are not required to do so.
  • Please keep the discussion focused on the two characters in question.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
This match screams CQC and if you enjoy that style of play, you will absolutely love this matchup. Blue balls and blood will be flying here, guaranteed.

As one might expect, this is going to be a battle won up close and most likely on the ground. Both players have superb anti-air defenses and neither should risk jump-ins unless the opponent is clearly not expecting it and/or confused. Baraka may be able to sneak in a JK now and again because of its high priority, but do so at your own risk. Cage's best assets are his shadow kick and jabbing game. Mixing them in from up close leaves little time for the opponent to react. As long as you don't get predictable with them, Cage will have Baraka on edge. I would avoid the ballbreaker as a block will lead to a blade fury. Likewise, Baraka's double kick works wonders up close as well as his blade fury shredder. Baraka's quick ducking LP and sweeping gives him a slight advantage overall.

Baraka players rejoice, you finally have a matchup in which you are favored! Not by much, mind you, but Baraka is still a slight favorite in this contest, 6-4.
  • What are some good mixup options for Cage up close?
  • (Same for Baraka)
  • How often should these players be using projectiles?

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Oh this match is fun as hell! I'm biased, as Cage and Baraka are my boyz (werd).
Before I played MK2 vs real people, I really only played vs the computer. So I never was able to understand and appreciate how fun CQC is, or how cool these two characters are until I got online with PS3 in 2010. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste in how you like to play. I prefer the fighters that can be aggressive, and this match is all about that!

CAGE
With Cage's high and low projectiles, he has a few more options in this match. Anytime Baraka tries to jump in, he's gonna eat a well-timed high green ball. Rising uppercut is difficult to time, but also works as an anti-air. Cage has a great uppercut, and he can also anti-air Baraka with it, though the timing is tricky. His best anti-air move is his suJK. I swear that sucker will hit people from halfway across the screen :) When you're in close, mix in an array of low toes, crouch punches, shadow kicks, chest jabs, and punches. The ballbreaker is a risk, but worth throwing in occasionally. Sweep speeds are about the same, but Baraka's is definitely better. Block his sweep, immediately sweep afterwards, and if you land it, get close and jab. Don't let Baraka pin you in a corner, as he is a beast there. But so is Cage, so if Baraka wants to run away, pin him in the corner.

BARAKA
Most people aren't too skilled with Cage... but what do you do when you're up against Real_Talk's Cage? Usually this match has a fair amount of both players spamming projectiles. Understandable, as each respects the others strengths up close. But Baraka can match Cage up close, so why not get in and kick some ass? His crouch punch, sweep, and shredder are three great weapons to use. Double kicks and blade swipes are also effective once you're in close enough. He can anti-air roundhouse any Cage jump-ins, but the shredder is more effective and does more damage. Blade spark up close will get you swept and allow Cage to get in and strike first blood- only use it from a distance. As usual, use jump punches to get closer to Cage, it's harder to anti-air.

My first impression is always that this is a 6-4 match for Baraka, but honestly I think it's a 5-5 match. Both players have to work for it, and it's really just about who does better with CQC and countering jump-ins. Neither has an outstanding cheap weapon that gives them a real advantage over the other.