What's new

MK11 - Why a Good Rank Mode is More Important Than You Think

REO

Undead

I feel like not many players are talking about Rank when it comes to MK11 but it's something that should be brought to light. We know we're getting match-making for MK11 but it would be amazing to see NRS take it further beyond and create one of the best rank modes in the fighting game community. NRS games have things that most fighting games wish they had, such as in-game frame data and top notch netcode. I would love to add "Rank mode" and an even better practice mode to that list. It may not happen for MK11 (I'm still a believer) but we may very well see it happen in the next NRS game if we're vocal enough.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko

I feel like not many players are talking about Rank when it comes to MK11 but it's something that should be brought to light. We know we're getting match-making for MK11 but it would be amazing to see NRS take it further beyond and create one of the best rank modes in the fighting game community. NRS games have things that most fighting games wish they had, such as in-game frame data and top notch netcode. I would love to add "Rank mode" and an even better practice mode to that list. It may not happen for MK11 (I'm still a believer) but we may very well see it happen in the next NRS game if we're vocal enough.

God damn this was such an amazing video. Most people are pricks about skill measurement with online, sure online isn't a good ground to check your skill level but some of us don't have a local scene. Thank you so much REO for touching on this subject. Ranked does help players test (Have an idea) on their skill level and give them confidence.

Rank is also a good way to promote newer players to play competitively and seriously. It's a great incentive for players to return and train more.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
This is the kind of thing that would keep a game alive past the usual cycle by keeping the semi-competitors and beginners grinding and bring the pro’s twitch views. Makes a huge difference. In the Street Fighter Community, lots of online players get discovered, build their brands and eventually become sponsored by the community because of their high ranks. I could count a dozen cases. The #1 player in SFV, Trashbox, currently is sponsored for that reason actually.

The opportunities that’ll be missed if this is ignored, nrs players wouldnt believe.

Last edited:

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Can we blow this thread up and force NRS to make these changes please??? They’re about 3-4 years late to the rank party. It would be so much better for the life of the game and so much easier for everyone online to level up and have better matchmaking with a system like this.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow this video is godlike ! very very good overview analysis about how a good rank mode should be done in fighting games ! ;) :D

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I thought there was a practice mode online in I2 or MK X(forget which one)

But honestly was never big into rank, and mostly due to the one and done auto factor. I like the mini series options but even then if it's a fun experience I want to play a little bit then just one or two games. Like UMK3 KOTH style or an option to set to 10 first or something. I look forward to the player rank matches and KOTH modes with the newer improved netcode always getting better and better.

I am for alot of things he suggested, though I don't care much for a point system honestly. Just make it W/L and have matchups based on your skill level. I had suggested a while ago having who your opponent picks to be hidden. I also suggested the invisible cursor online which they implemented few games ago, this is something also that should be used more however I DO think online they need to make it highlighted for the person picking invisible while the opponent can't see it at all. I noticed sometimes on occasion people would accidentally pick the wrong character.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

This is the kind of content this website needs.
Thanks for sharing.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Damn was MKX ranked that garbage? I never really played online past the first week, but that's like some indie level shit. Have they not heard of elo systems or stuff that most of the popular online games(let alone digital athletic games) use?

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Right on the money. It’s especially frustrating for those at the intermediate level who want to up their game but are instead declined 75% of the time by beginners only to finally get a game against the other 25% that make up the pro players who absolutely destroy you. Leveling up in NRS games is hard for the wrong reasons.

Make this happen!

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Damn was MKX ranked that garbage? I never really played online past the first week, but that's like some indie level shit. Have they not heard of elo systems or stuff that most of the popular online games(let alone digital athletic games) use?
Every NRS game has had garbage online and ranked play. Netcode finally got better with MKX and good with INJ2

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I've been saying this for a long time. Last time this was mentioned was ~ last summer with Injustice 2, and a few people were very quick to say that I2 didn't have this problem, when it most definitely does/did. Glad Reo is putting it out there, though I'm pretty sure he's even said it in the past.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
It’s crazy how FGs have been doing this since ps2, yet NRS is so far behind on the times.

Tekken and SF, especially T6 and SF4, had an AMAZING ranking system and those games are on old consoles. Yet all we get is a % of a chance you have to win against someone (which isn’t even accurate AT ALL).

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Agreed. Having actual ranks keeps people playing with people at or around their level in rank, and once they level up enough to rank up they are then matched with players in that rank as well. Its common sense and idk why NRS refuses to implement this. It has made my experience in SFV so much better because in ranked/casuals I am fighting people near my level, not getting matched up with Brian F or Smug lol

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
Just posting to say I’m glad this thread is still going and good shit to REO for using his platform to bring this to more people’s attention.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Agreed. But they need to add kustom variations to ranked.

Anyway, my ideal ranking system would basically be a mixture of SF4 and DBFZ.

In DBFZ you climb in ranks and each new rank you get a new title. For more in depth on how the DBFZ ranking system works, just google it.

I would also love a character ranking like in SF4. Where you can become a Master, Grandmaster, etc, for a specific character. I think that would be amazing and several games have character leaderboards. It would be a lot of fun grinding to be the top player for that character.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Agreed. But they need to add kustom variations to ranked.

Anyway, my ideal ranking system would basically be a mixture of SF4 and DBFZ.

In DBFZ you climb in ranks and each new rank you get a new title. For more in depth on how the DBFZ ranking system works, just google it.

I would also love a character ranking like in SF4. Where you can become a Master, Grandmaster, etc, for a specific character. I think that would be amazing and several games have character leaderboards. It would be a lot of fun grinding to be the top player for that character.
It would be really nice to be character-specific. Because without it, you could get very high ranking with a single character, then try to learn a new character and start off terribly, but you’re still getting matched up with higher ranks, leaving you at quite a disadvantage.

I like this idea a lot.