What's new

MK11 Story Discussion Thread (obvious spoilers)

portent

Noob
I haven't seen any clip of the ending yet but I've read enough to know what's up.

Honestly, I'm not entirely disappointed, mainly because it's nearly exactly how I anticipated it.

Mind you, this was a guess back on April 2nd, before we had any clue about the story:

There is no option for what I think.

Reset to MK1 era means that Cassie and Jacqui will be wiped from existence because both Johnny and Sonya die. None of the 4 of them will like that, and I'm sure that the younger versions of themselves will not like that idea.

Younger Liu and Kung Lao have no clue (that we know of) that they will die at (or before) Armageddon, therefore, they're not gonna be pleased with the idea of becoming revenants, so I'm actually predicting they'll be fighting to reset the timeline.

We haven't yet seen much of the MK4 timeline and 3D characters, so they're going to need to be written in at some point.

I think what we're going to see is some kind of convergence of timelines, so to speak. Possibly, one where the revenants are eradicated but replaced by their 1st timeline versions. Because time travel is possible, keep in mind that Quan Chi can be brought back and forced to release control of the revenants, so they can come back that way as well.
This was only a snippet of my theory, as I had posted in another thread about timeline fights affecting future characters. I had also guessed that some characters would fight each other simply by nature of wanting their existence (See Jax vs. Raiden in MK11).

In the end, with Liu basically being the keeper of time, the next story arc is simply going to be him and Kitana looking to change the master plan, bring back everyone they love and care for and keep Raiden out of Elder God status. If I had to guess, once they rewind time, and if Liu chooses to remain in his God status, there will once again be the "Liu vs. Raiden" conflict that Kronika has been setting up.

Yes, there are plot holes. But these holes will fill themselves as you rewind time. If the keeper of time can rewind time, then once he rewinds, Raiden will be a God again and Kronika will be back. This sets up future conflict.

Pretty much what I expected.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
After sleeping on it and getting a glimpse at Liu Kang's arcade ending, I'm feeling a bit better about the ending to Story Mode, though I'm still not entirely thrilled with it. Still hoping to enjoy story mode when I get my hands on the game and am able to experience it properly for myself.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
After sleeping on it and getting a glimpse at Liu Kang's arcade ending, I'm feeling a bit better about the ending to Story Mode, though I'm still not entirely thrilled with it. Still hoping to enjoy story mode when I get my hands on the game and am able to experience it properly for myself.
even If it sucks, Betting it's great compared to other FG story's

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
even If it sucks, Betting it's great compared to other FG story's
From what I've read and seen, the story as a whole is alright to me. I was expecting silly, cheesy b-movie time-travel nonsense and am far from disappointed on that front. I just detest the Reboot trend in media today. DC is the worst offender, by far, but so many others are doing it now, I mean even Marvel Comics did a soft one in recent years.

portent

Noob
the naxt arc cold start form scatch ala mk1 but the lore might be differnt

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/beknab
I like some of the ideas here.

In order to see the potential of MK11's storyline, you need to understand much of MK's lore and history, and I have a follow up guesses based on stuff that hasn't been touched upon (I'm only lightly considering the comics here, and mainly for some characters)

Havik could be tickling the chaos ivories and influencing pretty much everything from chaos realm, including Kronika's actions.

If this is the case, then Hotaru may confront God Liu and explain this to him. Liu then rewinds time in order to collect everyone, Shao, Kotal, Goro, Shang, Raiden, Kronika, etc. Basically, to join forces with Hotaru to confront Havik and his forces.

Havik is proficient in blood magic and can control anyone who uses it or has been cut by the kamidogu blade. That would be Shao (how to make him a bad guy even after Liu recruits him) Kotal (same thing), Skarlet, Forrest Fox and Sub-Zero. Again, this sets up more internal fighting problems.

Kronika could turn on God Liu, seeing an opportunity to seize back control of time.

After rewinding Time, Raiden will be a God again, with reason to have conflict with God Liu due to differences in opinion.

This would also bring Reiko back into the game, as well as the Red Dragon clan. This would cause conflict between Red Dragon and Black Dragon, potentially bringing back Kano, Kabal, Kira and Kobra, as well as Mavado, Daegon, Taven, and, for story purposes, Rain.

All of this essentially sets up a very good "hard" reset into another interesting storyline.

portent

Noob
Yeah, this is the good thing about this ending.

It opens up many possibilities for where they take the story next, and aswell leaving it in a place where they can take a break from it.

Problem was the lead up to this ending and how much stuff they threw out the window
The more they leave out of the story now, they more material they have to work with for the follow up.

Remember, while 2 of the Kombat Kids may not exist in another timeline (Cassie and Jacqui), Kung Jin's existence has nothing to do with Lao's other than being his cousin, so his existence could very well be written into the old timeline or a new branching timeline.

Takeda is the mystery. The comics take place in between MK9 and MKX, but also show that Hanzo (scorpion) was taught to overcome the darkness by Kenshi, although in the comics he can still revert to "Scorpion" to fight. It stands to reason that Takeda was dropped off at the Shirai Ryu before Scorpion was fully resurrected as Hanzo in MKX, so his existence prior MKX could also be written in.

So now some things are getting clearer. There was so called "timequake", after which Dark Raiden was erased - could be that other warriors also were erased (e.g. Kenshi, Takeda, etc.)

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
The more I think about it, the angrier I get. But, I am excited to see where MK12 starts and what they do with the story. I'd really just prefer a straightforward story without all these twists and turns and excusing character deaths. If a character dies just stick with it, they can come back with some BS reason and not as a revenant.

I am hoping that when I play it I have a change of heart about the story mode.

In other regards, I think that MK11 is one of the best games in the series, but Kronika being a boss and even existing has effectively made it incredibly difficult to keep the lore from toppling over itself. Kronika is now the biggest boss when Kotal would have been fine to be the replacement Shao Khan :(. But I am done bitching and moaning about the Story, it is what it is, time to move on.