What's new

MK11 Sonya Blade General Discussion

So this is where we'll talk about Sonya. I can't believe there is no discussion thread about her and we're at what, 4 days from full release ? I did a good research to be sure there wasn't already one, but it doesn't seem so (and half of her threads is just complaints).
And I'm talking about a character revealed in the very first build.

But you know what ? We don't care about the haters, Sonya has set the foot in MK11 and also right in the opponent's face.

Here's her frame data (Thanks to @Circus)
(Version 1.02+post hotfix)

I'll start with a few thoughts about her first ranked variaton ((Air) Ops Drop, Krushing Kounters, (Air) Marching Orders) :
The moves added with this variation doesn't seem to be really interesting. I know it's a bit early but I'm worried about this variation. Both parries are really good but I don't think two air attacks was a good choice, especially with the Air Control universal move. Ops Drops seems a bit too situationnal and too dangerous to perform. I can't really talk about Marching Orders, I haven't trained enough to have an idea of the capacity of the move.
Also she looks strong in general, and I like the gear she has. I'm very happy about her.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Ok I've been playing Sonya for some time now, I've created a custom variation with her Drop Kick, Flying kick and Kounter, forgive me If I dont use their correct names.

First thing is her standout special moves

Leg Breaker is a punishable low but can be connected into combos giving her great mix up potential although damage is not all that and its very unsafe.

Ass whooping is a grab that also can finish off combos, its amplified variation adds good damage and sends the opponent towards the wall.

She doesnt have her MKX dive kick anymore but she gets her MK9 drop kick ( D +X or O) ,you have to equip it and it gives her another jump in kick variation which is good and allows for further combos. for me I think it good so far.

the flying kick can only be used in the air, and can be followed up after aerial moves like a jump in kick or an air combo. it can be amplified for a very powerful looking izuna drop with good damage.

Air control is a very good anti air that can be amplified to launch the opponent.

her energy rings have easily become her most improved arsenal in this game, and they've done it in a very creative way. her krushing blow off the amplified energy rings is cripplingly powerful and is very satisfying when connected.

Counters come out slower in this game and amplifying them does not lead to launchers, but the animations are fancy and the low counter leads to a crotch stomp similar to what she did to quan-chi in MKX.

her combos have been downgraded in comparison to MKX

she doesnt have an overhead starter or low starter, but to be fair I dont think anybody in the game has those. instead her overhead or low are usually the second hit in the combo,

ok here are some disadvantages, from what I've seen.

Launchers

Currently sonya can only launch using one combo (only on 3rd hit), and or amplified air grab or amp air control. that is it, she sorely needs her 2 hit overhead military stance Khartweel Back to strengthen her mixups.

Speed

She is not as quick in the movement department, making her mobility problem, I find myself have to use the flying kick to get closer.

Leg Grab?

Sonya not having her leg grab is pretty weird, it would be nice if this can be unlocked or added at some point. I think it'll be useful in this game as it can be a good combo finisher.

Overall,

Its still too early to say but I feel like Sonya has good potential in this game but she has to work harder than other characters who might have an easier time with damage, zoning and speed. whilst she has good mix up options they do become predictable, their damage is moderate and she is sorely lacking normals or a non amplified special move that launches like her Military stance Khartheel.

Ok I've been playing Sonya for some time now, I've created a custom variation with her Drop Kick, Flying kick and Kounter, forgive me If I dont use their correct names.

First thing is her standout special moves

Leg Breaker is a punishable low but can be connected into combos giving her great mix up potential although damage is not all that and its very unsafe.

Ass whooping is a grab that also can finish off combos, its amplified variation adds good damage and sends the opponent towards the wall.

She doesnt have her MKX dive kick anymore but she gets her MK9 drop kick ( D +X or O) ,you have to equip it and it gives her another jump in kick variation which is good and allows for further combos. for me I think it good so far.

the flying kick can only be used in the air, and can be followed up after aerial moves like a jump in kick or an air combo. it can be amplified for a very powerful looking izuna drop with good damage.

Air control is a very good anti air that can be amplified to launch the opponent.

her energy rings have easily become her most improved arsenal in this game, and they've done it in a very creative way. her krushing blow off the amplified energy rings is cripplingly powerful and is very satisfying when connected.

Counters come out slower in this game and amplifying them does not lead to launchers, but the animations are fancy and the low counter leads to a crotch stomp similar to what she did to quan-chi in MKX.

her combos have been downgraded in comparison to MKX

she doesnt have an overhead starter or low starter, but to be fair I dont think anybody in the game has those. instead her overhead or low are usually the second hit in the combo,

ok here are some disadvantages, from what I've seen.

Launchers

Currently sonya can only launch using one combo (only on 3rd hit), and or amplified air grab or amp air control. that is it, she sorely needs her 2 hit overhead military stance Khartweel Back to strengthen her mixups.

Speed

She is not as quick in the movement department, making her mobility problem, I find myself have to use the flying kick to get closer.

Leg Grab?

Sonya not having her leg grab is pretty weird, it would be nice if this can be unlocked or added at some point. I think it'll be useful in this game as it can be a good combo finisher.

Overall,

Its still too early to say but I feel like Sonya has good potential in this game but she has to work harder than other characters who might have an easier time with damage, zoning and speed. whilst she has good mix up options they do become predictable, their damage is moderate and she is sorely lacking normals or a non amplified special move that launches like her Military stance Khartheel.
Thank you for this! No one has really been giving us info on her play style and advantages/disadvantages

Dedlock

Noob
I thought she'd have more brawler cassie and judo/ armbar moves, I'm not sure how I feel about her missing her iconic moves
Her kounters are very judo esque in this game, they look very cool, especially when amplified.

But I do agree whilst I'm glad she has the leg breaker which will aide with mix ups and a very solid anti air game with the air control.

But she feels foreign without some staples in her arsenal like the military stance khartwheel and leg grab.

She realy has some devastating combos. Also if you use her restand you are plus, it is a frametrap and are able to go for her crushing blow uppercut at anytime when the opponent presses a button, or go into a high/low string if opponent is scared of the overhead string. She has some pretty cool stuff.

After the hotfix, here's her new frame data

b123 is now -14 on block and -14 on FB block (down from -9 / FB -9 )
f21 is now -5 on block and -5 on FB block (down from -4 / FB -4 )
b3u4 is now -4 on block and -4 on FB block (up from -5 / FB -5 )

@Circus will give me the updated frame data soon so I'll change the image in in the OP soon :)

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Not too bad nerfs, manageable.

How are you guys e enjoying her krushing blow amplified energy rings. Hearing their shriek when it hits with a 250 damage sign makes me smile.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
i dont get it why people post combo "guides", without any combo notation in the " guide "
I think for a lot of YT people it's about getting those views, and if you can have the first "B&B" videos you're going to have a huge advantage over the next person who makes a video, so I'm guessing part of it is a speed factor where they're trying to push out as many of these B&B videos as fast as they can, for as many characters as they can.

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
I have a problem with her f4,1+3,2,2,2,2 string. the 2's never connects after the second hit. tips??

Dedlock

Noob
Her parry is really fast compared to X and Jonny's in 11 I can barely catch the ai on easy with it =[
I've been using it quite well , I feel like it's slower with more recovery.

And also

I'm having trouble connect the f+4, 1+3, 2222 as well. It has a specific frame execution or it's just buggy.

Same thing for me with the f41+3 2222.

Her parry is really fast compared to X and Jonny's in 11 I can barely catch the ai on easy with it =[
Sonya's parry in MKX was 6 frames on start up, it is 7 in MK11. It's just the animation that makes the MKX parry looking slower.

But I'm pretty sure the MK11 one also recovers a bit faster.