What's new

MK11 Single Player Modes and Grind Discussion (Towers of Time, Augments, and Krypt) - Towers are Fixed.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
......Except that metacritic review score is because "they are appealing to the SJWs!". So, yeah, it's not reliable, it's just the horde of scary angry neckbeards who are review-bombing because there's too less titties and too many black people.

I'll take a microtransaction bonanza with D'vorah over a game with no microtransactions and bikini strippers poledancing.
Yeah, no. For every five reviews saying "there's too many microstranscations and the tedious towers" there's one dude saying about a "leftist agenda".

I'm not even going to touch that second comment because that's fucking insane. They could literally make a game about horse shit with no microtranscations and I'd take it.

They do not belong in full priced games with other DLC coming out on top of it.

Lun

proud TERF!
They could literally make a game about horse shit with no microtranscations and I'd take it.
If you want to play horseshit, sure.

I can ignore the microtransactions because at least they're optional.

I can't ignore the sexism if it's not optional.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Well, this disaster landed them a 2.9 User Review on Meta Critic.

The paid out critics can say what they want, the fans are talking. I really think they need to take some time to eliminate this pay wall trash in general.

A game like this does not need this much bull shit chucked on top of a 40 dollar or whatever kombat pass, with a second one potentinally coming. This is absolutely asinine and the game needs to take some shit because of this.

Hope NRS wises the fuck up.
The fans that give the game a 0/10 just because Kitana and Jade don't look like strippers? Those fans can fuck the right off. MTX bullcrap aside, the game is perfect.

Lun

proud TERF!
The fans that give the game a 0/10 just because Kitana and Jade don't look like strippers? Those fans can fuck the right off. MTX bullcrap aside, the game is perfect.

It was like "oh, a low Metacritic score because of those shameful microtransactions?? That's so good- no, no, wait, it's a low score because of no bikini costumes. I was a fool to believe Metacritic even for one second."

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Except it's really not only the bikini comments. A ton of them are pointing out the microtranscations and tedious towers.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
First, You have To find motaro's horn to open the way to goro's lair. Take the elevator.

Then, when you are in the lair, you have to find a second elevator. You will be at the bottom of the Pit. You will meet a famous mk character. Take his item and you Will be able To open the soul chests. Each of them cost 100 Souls. But keep in mind that the bridge of the pit costs 2000 souls To be rebuilt.
Thanks, I appreciate the help :)

Lun

proud TERF!
Except it's really not only the bikini comments. A ton of them are pointing out the microtranscations and tedious towers.

I guess I got unlucky, found only the lameass "boohooh my boner culture" comments, and stopped reading there.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
That's still no reason to give this game a 0/10. I mean, seriously? 0/10 because it's hard to get COSMETIC ONLY items?

Just to be clear, 0/10 means:

It looks like shit
It sounds like shit
It plays like shit
It treats me like shit

MK11 can only check (somewhat) the last box. That's hardly a 0/10.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
That's still no reason to give this game a 0/10. I mean, seriously? 0/10 because it's hard to get COSMETIC ONLY items?

Well, if NRS spent months promoting the all the cosmetics and how customizable all the characters will be because of them and then hides them behind some grindy and unfair bullshit in order to push people who already paid for a full priced game towards a bunch of microtransactions, then they deserve all the scorn which comes to them as a result.

Also, people's rating systems are completely subjective and arbitrary and don't need to conform to any actual standards.

Not everyone has the wherewithal to lab out and learn how to play Mortal Kombat. I have friends IRL that play MK with me but couldn't beat one of the NOT bullshit towers. The purpose of the AI mode is for players of this level who also want to unlock things and have fun with the game. Just because they're ass at MK doesn't mean they should be barred from Towers.
Fair point.

They are LITERALLY fixing it right now. Like. Two hours ago Ed Boon said they're on it. Jesus christ with you people today.
Even if they are patching it, they released a full priced game, with a Season pass AND with the intention of taking extra money by making the kustomization, one of the most appealing new feature for the larger audience and one of the biggest marketing point, so frustrating to grind so WB could sell them micro transactions. While I still think that EA's Battlefront 2 is still more scandalous, we've reached a new level of dishonest economic practice. We all made fun of SFV for being a grind fest for the Fight Money and over priced DLCs but now, SFV and MK11 are both despisable attempts of companies trying to manipulate its customers into buying overpriced stuff they already paid for.

I enjoy the game, I love it and I want to play it for years, but I can't help but feeling insulted by that. I gave them €100, I could have get the game for half the price but no, I love MK so I wanted to thank NRS by buying the Premium edition. And they wanted to charge me AGAIN for something I already paid for ? How insulting !

Yes they are patching it, and they better do it ASAP, but to me the first intention of WB will always be to manipulate the players into buying a ton of micro transactions for content that was already paid in the first place. It's the intention that matters, isn't it ? And I won't forget that. I know it's not illegal, but it is such a shameful and insulting way to increase the profits of a company.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Alright, some of this is just bull shit, lol.

- While yes, Metacritic is not the end all be all of reviews, it's always good to listen to criticism of all sorts. Even if it's something you don't want to hear.

- While a 0/10 score is extreme, the game seems to base a ton of it's variety on the unlockables and kustomization. And if a ton of it isn't handled well, there definitely is a problem and a low rating is justified.

- Fix or not. They tried this. They knew what they were doing and tried it. No matter what. This was pure scummy.

I'm still grabbing the game but this was a damn near turn away.

Some people will rate any game they don't like a 0/10. There seems to be no such thing as between a 0 and a 10 for some people.

Anyway, I've just went through the Novice Ladder with Kitana. I'll check out the other ladders later.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
It's a pity that even IF they fix the grinding and make it fun - or at the very least, tolerable - the release day of the game will always be remembered as a disappointment. This could have been THE fighting game - it can still be - and they missed it due to greed.

It's a shame. It's a mess. However, it's not an unfixable mess, and I still have hope.

Yeah, this was the first game I ever felt comfortable enough to pre-order and it will be my last, but it’s mainly due to the misinformation leading up to launch.

I’ll preface my next little bit with a tidbit about me. If the base game is priced fair and is a great game, I will likely pay money for future DLC that will allow the studio to keep supporting the game for months/years to come.

WB/NRS is definitely banking on people paying real money to unlock stuff on the launch disc, which is scummy for sure, but when I look at this game and all of the possible content, it is a lot of game and content. Now, this game is more expensive than a lot of other base games, but it seems to have a ton of more content as well, and disproportionally so, in my honest opinion.

I personally think from a business perspective, they should have made less launch content (maybe a third less of the skins and gear, with a much smaller Krypt and less towers to compensate), but made the grind fun and easy: make the towers fun with some unique (but not annoying challenges), make the Krypt have static chests, and especially don’t make it designed to force people to buy stuff (unless they don’t mind dropping a few bucks on an “unlock all items” option). I really don’t think anyone would have complained then, and then maybe as they add Kombat Packs down the road, they could expand the Krypt and towers for the extra DLC. Release the characters in waves and with each wave throw out some extra skins and gear for the existing characters. Maybe make some options, to either only get the post-launch characters, only the extra cosmetic stuff for existing characters, or both. Had they done this, I‘d have easily bought both options for this game.

The real problem, in my eyes, was they put in extra content expecting to get extra money, when they should have just not made the extra content for launch.

Is it the same thing, just a matter of perspective? Absolutely, but that perspective is huge. Especially when it leads to the fans feeling misled.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
Towers are definitely easier. Plus the first Tower Key is available if you beat the Johnny tower on the bottom left.

I will put up detailed breakdowns and videos soon

Mr.Taubstumm

SlushyDealer
I can't ignore the sexism if it's not optional.
That logic goes completely out of the window the moment you put half naked males into the game that show off their perfectly defined sixpack and ginormous biceps.

Ergo, they cannot be taken seriously.
Same could be said for the people who give a 10/10 for everything they barely like.
For every reviewer who gives a 0/10 just out of pure spite there is also one of these guys.
In the end it evens out imo.
Not that i take review-sites like Metacritic serious anymore with all the shill accounts on both ends of the spectrum.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
I just spent the last 2 hours trying to clear as many timed towers as I can, and lo and behold, I was able to do almost every fight without breaking a sweat. Keep in mind that this is a small sample size, and it could just be a co-incidence that every tower of time active at the moment is relatively easy, but there are universal changes that I did notice compared to pre-release. This could very well be anecdotal, so don't take your foot off the gas just yet.

Before I list the changes, keep in mind that there's a timed tower that awards you the first Summon Tower key that I've seen so far. And the summoned tower itself is quite easy, even though it mentions the difficulty as hard. I will be attaching videos with this post so you can see for yourself. Anyway, on to the changes.

1. For most of the timed tower sets, the first tower or two only consist of one or two fights.
  2. You do normal damage for the first tower of the set, and damage reduction happens incrementally as you move along the towers in the set, with your damage being the highest on the first tower, and lowest on the final tower.
  3. This might be anecdotal due to the small sample size, but most of the enemies now use tag assists where another item appears on the screen to help them, and not special move assists like missiles, lasers, or grenades. The former can't be called while the CPU is in the middle of being combo'd, but the latter can and break the player's combos. However, the former assists aren't completely gone and still exist, especially in character towers.
  4. The special forces air strike barrage assist seemingly has been changed from a volley of grenades that appear from behind the opponent, to a staggered strike of missiles that falls vertically from the sky to the ground. The new version covers more ground, but does less damage since you only get hit by one missile or two at most. Keep in mind that this may be a different assist from before and I might just be mistaking them to be the same assist.
  5. The Cache of Wealth summon tower has difficulty of hard, but all player attacks do normal/high damage.
  6. Some enemy assists not correctly show when they're off cooldown, but not all of them do. Especially ones like Tanya's Tonfa, Mileena's Sais, or Cyrax's net.
  7. Since player damage is penalized less in many towers now, single slot move assists like Nitara's bats, mileena sais or shinnok's hand flick are way more useful and damaging. You can now beat entire fights without touching the opponent with your own character if you have these assists. However, this is a rare situation and don't get complacent assuming this is a norm. See the Sub Zero fight in the video on the Cache of Wealth tower.

However, all is not well. There are some things that could be changed. Here are some off the top of my head:

1) Chaos is still the worst modifier and shouldn't exist. Any move that reverses your inputs forces you to sit there and block till the effect passes, and usually the CPU is able to read the situation and counter with a low, overhead or grab depending on the situation.

2) Some assists put you in a trap state and are still unblockable, like Bo Rai Cho gas cloud or Cyrax net. You can't see their cooldown so cannot pre-emptively avoid them. However, today I faced them only in the Summoned Cache of Wealth tower, where my damage was boosted, so I could counter them with single slot special consumables.

3) Projectile assists like Tanya's 2x hitting tonfa and Mileena's sai do too much damage and go off cooldown too quickly, without giving an indication when the cooldown is over. However these can be blocked. The best way to overcome these is to sit there blocking till you block the assist, then go for a quick 2-3 hit combo, and then go back to blocking before you get hit by one. Mileena's sais do the aforementioned chaos effect that reverses your inputs. If the game could show the cooldown of these assists for the CPU, they would be much easier to defend against.

4) Timed towers are seemingly easier now, but character towers still feel tough. Noob's character tower 4 is still unbeatable due to 250 spears and 250 hell ports requirement which is a bug. Characters who are zoning focused or have low combo damage like Jade or Kollector might suffer in their character towers. NRS should give character towers a look next.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as this could just be coincidental or anecdotal. Stay vigilant, but do try these towers yourself and inform me if you feel any difference. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: