What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Match Up Thread

Guys, Cassie is really even. Shang outzones her, if you place your corpses right, outside of max range Ground Eruption. And in that range you can full combo punish her gunshot. She is strong in the midrange and up close. But That is kinda what every kharacter has to deal with. I will admit it sucks that sometimes when she does f4 or f41 on block and does f4 again Shang’s d3 doesn’t hit her because she lifts her leg up in the starting frames of her f4 animation.
She beats him up close, he beats her fullscreen, midrange is range dependent, so I think it is even.

You definitely shouldn’t Soul Steal in that MU, since ending in far Ground Eruption leaves her full screen away, does more damage, and if she catches you in a combo while you are morphed, you are eatting a 60% guaranteed unblockable reset

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
bad mu for shang

geras
cassie
liu
scorpion
I very much agree with these

Geras just shuts down his zoning and does better in footsie and can keep Shang where he is uncomfortable (close up).

Cassie can pretty much beat him everywhere and her kneecappin out trades his corpse drop/Straight skull. Goes under skull and leaves her standing when trading with corpse and he is on the floor. She has beetle close and footsie and oki.

Liu Kang can punish his Ground Explosion & Corpse drop with fly kick. But if I had to say what destorys Shang its Wu Shi Legend with that teleport which shuts down his zoning at any place on screen and liu definitely does better up close.

Scorpion:
I fucking hate this matchup. If its a good Scorpion I loath this one. Scorpion has better footsie, close up pressure, counters all of Shangs zoning and has better throws and can out trade him while reacting to everything with punish.

I nominate:
Cetrion
Jacqui
Sonya

Erron Black may be even but I've heard its bad for Shang but I've yet to discover why?

LawAbidingCitizen

Guys, Cassie is really even. Shang outzones her, if you place your corpses right, outside of max range Ground Eruption. And in that range you can full combo punish her gunshot. She is strong in the midrange and up close. But That is kinda what every kharacter has to deal with. I will admit it sucks that sometimes when she does f4 or f41 on block and does f4 again Shang’s d3 doesn’t hit her because she lifts her leg up in the starting frames of her f4 animation.
She beats him up close, he beats her fullscreen, midrange is range dependent, so I think it is even.

You definitely shouldn’t Soul Steal in that MU, since ending in far Ground Eruption leaves her full screen away, does more damage, and if she catches you in a combo while you are morphed, you are eatting a 60% guaranteed unblockable reset
Ive actually been struggling with her low shot full screen. It seems he does 9% to her 7% but he gets knocked down while she stays standing. It seems she gets a second one off before I can get up and corpse drop. It goes under my straight skull and she can move to full screen out of range of my Ground Explosion? Tips

How do you deal with Scorpion

JavierDavila

ALWAYS an uphill battle...
I think Sub Zero (Thin Ice) may beat him. Shang can't trade projectiles. Sub can either freeze him or slide under. Air axe seems to be a problem for Shang as well. It think.

Ive actually been struggling with her low shot full screen. It seems he does 9% to her 7% but he gets knocked down while she stays standing. It seems she gets a second one off before I can get up and corpse drop. It goes under my straight skull and she can move to full screen out of range of my Ground Explosion? Tips

How do you deal with Scorpion
First of all, Kneecapping does 6%. Second if we trade I win the damage trade by 3%. So if I am knocked down and have to block her next shot (which does 1.75% chip) I still win the trade: her 6+1,75 = 7.75% against my 9%. If we don’t trade but take turns the Corpse drop wins the chip war. All a good Cassie can do fullscreen is shoot and try to move out of the range of you Corpse, but you can predict that, and punish her with an appropriate Corpse placement. Or you can just shoot a straight skull If you feel she will try to move. Fullscreen the risk/reward is always in Shang’s favor, and it is extremely in his favor at the far Ground Eruption range.

With Scorpion you have to rush him down, just like the rest of the cast has to. With unpredictable burst of ranged attacks from time to time when he doesn’t expect.

I think Sub Zero (Thin Ice) may beat him. Shang can't trade projectiles. Sub can either freeze him or slide under. Air axe seems to be a problem for Shang as well. It think.
You are right about the projectile trades. But air axe isn’t a problem since as soon as you see Sub take to the air you can do Ground Eruption or Corpse drop.
It might actually be a bad match up for Warlock. The saving grace can be Sub’s own set play used against him after a Soul Steal. But if he catches you in a morphed state he can get a guaranteed reset for like 40+%.

LawAbidingCitizen

He zones you out and is straight up better up close.
I don't want to search through the entire thread again but from what I've seen so far his matchups are for the most part:

In his Favor:
Kotal - Ascension & Totemic
Shao - both
Jade - ED
D'Vorah - both
Johnny - both
Erron Black - BI

Even:
Cassie - Digital Soldier
Jacqui - 1st Round KO
Kano - Ripper
Jax - Hunker Down
Kollector - Back In The Pack
Liu Kang - Quan?

Possible Bad MUs:

Sub Zero - TI & DOW
Scorpion - Reborn
Liu Kang - Wu Shi Legend (Maybe LQ)
Geras - Both
Erron Black - 52CP
Cetrion - SC
Scarlet(?) Heart Pierce
Noob Saibot - Dark Sabbath
Cassie - Yaas Queen (possible?)

It's still early but do you agree with that so far. I think EVO will be the first allowing him to be legal, not a definitive result to boast MU numbers but definitely a starting point to see very high matchup problems and new tech. I'm very excited to see Echo| SonicFox, WoundCowboy, Noble| Raptor, STB| Shujinkydink and other big names break out their hidden Shang tech.
I also wanna see what fellow TYMers do in our very own tournament. I'll be using Shang only like last time.

Last edited:
noob saibot is also a bad mu for shang. noob out footsie shang and mid screen his throwing scyte goes through ground fireballs. fullscreen shang meat body is only good after knockdown. close range they are mostly even but fullscreen and mid screen noob control the fight.

I don't want to search through the entire thread again but from what I've seen so far his matchups are for the most part:

In his Favor:
Kotal - Ascension & Totemic
Shao - both
Jade - ED
D'Vorah - both
Johnny - both
Erron Black - BI

Even:
Cassie - Digital Soldier
Jacqui - 1st Round KO
Kano - Ripper
Jax - Hunker Down
Kollector - Back In The Pack

Possible Bad MUs:

Sub Zero - TI & DOW
Scorpion - Reborn
Sonya - RM
Geras - Both
Erron Black - 52CP
Cetrion - SC
Scarlet(?) Heart Pierce

It's still early but do you agree with that so far. I think EVO will be the first allowing him to be legal, not a definitive result to boast MU numbers but definitely a starting point to see very high matchup problems and new tech. I'm very excited to see Echo| SonicFox, WoundCowboy, Noble| Raptor, STB| Shujinkydink and other big names break out their hidden Shang tech.
I also wanna see what fellow TYMers do in our very own tournament. I'll be using Shang only like last time.
you forgot liu and i dont think sonya his a bad mu for shang.

LawAbidingCitizen

noob saibot is also a bad mu for shang. noob out footsie shang and mid screen his throwing scyte goes through ground fireballs. fullscreen shang meat body is only good after knockdown. close range they are mostly even but fullscreen and mid screen noob control the fight.
That makes since. I played a God Rank Noob which wasn't spacing perfectly and it still felt like it was uphill and I played a pocket noob in sets that I usually beat when they use their main (Liu Kang - LQ).

LawAbidingCitizen

you forgot liu and i dont think sonya his a bad mu for shang.
I edited it but why do you think that? I feel like she dominates him up close and has excellent zoning and her Drone Drop seems better than his Corpse with how she can use it and it has better hit advantage and she gets a mid projectile from 1 bar while he has to blow two bars to do the same. I feel like her pokes, buttons and far range is better slightly but I can see he can out footsie her and trip her up with DB1 but she does have a female hitbox so she can slurp through Ground explosion easier than most.

I edited it but why do you think that? I feel like she dominates him up close and has excellent zoning and her Drone Drop seems better than his Corpse with how she can use it and it has better hit advantage and she gets a mid projectile from 1 bar while he has to blow two bars to do the same. I feel like her pokes, buttons and far range is better slightly but I can see he can out footsie her and trip her up with DB1 but she does have a female hitbox so she can slurp through Ground explosion easier than most.
mid screen she lose to shang cause she has to come in so you can zone her out , her ring full screen isnt a good trade with corpse for her but i agree its a lame battle at this point but shang win the trade. she bully shang close range but she has to come in also soul steal is usefull againts her shang can do massive damage has sonya. maybe not a very bad mu for sonya but certainly not in her favor i feel like imo. i would say 5-4 or even

LawAbidingCitizen

mid screen she lose to shang cause she has to come in so you can zone her out , her ring full screen isnt a good trade with corpse for her but i agree its a lame battle at this point but shang win the trade. she bully shang close range but she has to come in also soul steal is usefull againts her shang can do massive damage has sonya. maybe not a very bad mu for sonya but certainly not in her favor i feel like imo. i would say 5-4 or even
I think I agree with that, I'd call it a rough matchup not a bad one. Thanks for explaining your point. I guess I played really good Sonya's that just outplayed me.

What?!? Why is Noob bad for Shang? Shang zones evenly with him fullscreen, corpses trade with anything noob can do, noob’s projectile trades evenly or gets interrupted, and shadow tackle gets destroyed before it reaches Shang. And if the projectile or the tackle is interrupted Shang can amplify to get the life lead. Noob also can’t teleport because the Corpse catches him at the top of the screen as he flies up. Midscreen, I don’t think Shang gets outfootsied because of Ground Eruption and Soul Steal. Shang can also full combo punish b1 1+3 at any range with far Ground Eruption. The scythe tele doesn’t help if you don’t use Ground Eruption when noob is in the air. If you just throw corpses on him he won’t be able to jump anyway.
From my experience Shang controls this MU pretty well.

Sonya feels even to me. I would say that Shang wins if it wasn’t for her ridiculous damage off the mix up. He zones her for sure. Shang doesn’t really have time to do her full combo of b12 or b14 in the corner, but he still can get around 400. But using the Soul Steal is risky over all in this MU, because each time you morph back you can get mixed. And again just like Cassie, Sonya has a restand which gets her a guaranteed double combo on Shang if she catches him while being transformed. That shit is like 80% guaranteed!!!!! I only use Soul Steal in this MU in the corner combos, to use her own corner set play against her. But over all ending combos in far Ground Eruption is preferable.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
The skarlet mu is hard for me, i cant win zonewar, corpse is too slow and she can projectile underneath my fireballs. As long is i can stay close or midscreen i do fine but trying to outzone her feels impossible.

i feel like zonya projectiles are a bit too fast wich is causing the mu to be anoying imo. besides that i think she lose far and mid screen but win close range

LawAbidingCitizen

I don't. You made some good points in your previous post, what made you change your mind?
Was just accepting I may not know the matchup fully and could be playing it wrong. I feel its out if his favor slightly. The biggest problem is her zoning is strong and she has amazing damage into rest and and even when she cashes out for full damage his wakeup U2/3 are pretty bad the U2 catches nobody so I feel he is easily kept on the ground. But when he gets momentum he can be a real threat and he does have better mid range?

The rifle stance and Scud Shot.

How can she lose full screen when both her projectile and drone drop are better than Shang's?
Riffle stance zones every kharacter in the game, that is why it’s only 8 shots. With Shang’s zoning options that shouldn’t be a problem for a whole match. Scud shot doesn’t work against corpses. You zone him with that, after he’s learnt that Scud shot doesn’t help, your other options open up.
Even if he amplifies scud shot before your Corpse falls it’s whatever, just 6% and he just lost a bar, you will take more damage by making him block 3 corpses.
The only time you really can’t zone is when he’s got FB ready.
I think the MU is closer to 5:5, but I need to play it more

Last edited:
How can she lose full screen when both her projectile and drone drop are better than Shang's?
I don’t think her drone is better. It is different , it has better hit advantage. And that’s it. The start up is 30 frames , while Shang’s is 26. It only does 6% damage (9% for the Corpse), and is -23 on block (-16 for the Corpse) . On top of all that it only does 1.75% chip. And every time she blocks your Corpse there is a mind game of Amplified or not. She has to either wait a bit or jump out before the amplify. Both of which give you another turn at a skull or at another corpse.