What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Match Up Thread

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
For now I can only say that I'm having troubles against Scorpion, that seems like an obvious one. That said, we're still probably better equipped to deal with him than Skarlet.

I'm considering trying Spellcaster for the matchup, those cancels might be useful. We'll have to see if there's a way to safely get out Soul Jar, since it's quite necessary considering that you get less damage in this variation.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
At glance I think he has a hard time with:
Geras
Scorpion
Cetrion
Sonya
Kabal

I feel he does well against:
D'Vorah
Kotal
Erron Black

The rest I don't know. Its still early and anything could change once we know more about tech and matchups.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

That's an interesting one. Why do you think so?
It just seems its either even or slightly in Shangs favor because:
  • Better rang to outfootsie and able to oki when scud isn't active with s3/F2/B1
  • Corpse Drop goes through Scud Shot for mad damage(9% meterless & 15% Amped).
Ground Explosion (DB1/DB1F) goes through Scud Shot on second hit.
  • Once I get momentum moving it seems hard for erron to outzone with Scud or get the rifle out.
  • Erron has F4/Slide for the only moves that outranges Shang and Slide is both reactable and punishable & F4 can be knocked out of air and baited full screen.
But it may have been the people I played sets with but they are very good players and outplay me vs my Jax & Cassie.

I hate the geras MU though. That sand is mad annoying and the throw loops with fifty fifties leading into multiple Krushing Blows. He can counter all of Shang's projectiles and can put him in constant guess.

Last edited:

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Geras and Cassie seem like bad matchups in Warlock, or perhaps I'm just bad, which is totally probable.
Since Shang lacks a teleport or an easy mid projectile it looks like Cassie can turtle all day and force Shang to come to her, which can br extremely tedious, and I don't even bother jumping in on her anymore at this point. This is a matchup I'll need a lot of help in, so if you guys have tips please leave them. I'm likely forgetting a move or doing something wrong.

Geras really sucks though. The overwhelming majority of it is just that Geras is so ridiculous though. Especially in Infinite Warden, since Shang can't trade with him or else he'll get Krushing Blow'd. I'll just need to get more experience fighting Geras though.

REYTHEGREAT

At glance I think he has a hard time with:
Geras
Scorpion
Cetrion
Sonya
Kabal

I feel he does well against:
D'Vorah
Kotal
Shao
Erron Black

The rest I don't know. Its still early and anything could change once we know more about tech and matchups.
To add to the hard time list, i think he has a hard time against raiden, jax and jacqui. Raiden can teleport on reaction and superman on a missed ground fireball. Plus Raiden can play a very lame game. Jax just needs to get in a few time and its wrap. Same with Jacqui. The pressure is insane.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
My early impression is that he'll have a tough time against anyone with a better balance combination of pokes/mids/zoning/teleports as Shang's pokes are iffy, his mids are good, but slow, and his zoning is good, but not the fastest. Characters like Sonya, Cassie, Kabal, Skarlet, Geras, Scorpion will be hard, but I could also seem him struggling against Jacqui, Liu Kang, Erron, and Sub Zero.

DeftMonk

Noob
I had a hard time online so far with skarlet and Geras. I was using that one variation (one without corpse drop) and she outzoned me so bad it was pitiful. More I play him more I realize how good corpse drop is... I use that move willy nilly in all situations. For some reason move list said it’s like -5 on hit but if u jump test seems to be more like +1 or 2

Vastly

Noob
So far I have a very hard time against Shang as Johnny Main. I would basically just switch to my Kitana. So far it's even worse than playing against a thin ice Sub for me.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I figured Jade would be difficult until I realized corpse drop beats glow.

Geras seems like an obvious challenge with how good his counter zoning is. Cassie also looks really challenging. Watching that Raptor vs WoundCowboy set mad it look infuriating.

Liu Kang was pretty hard to fight against for me, though I dont typically play zoning characters so it might just be my rhythm

LawAbidingCitizen

Geras and Cassie seem like bad matchups in Warlock, or perhaps I'm just bad, which is totally probable.
Since Shang lacks a teleport or an easy mid projectile it looks like Cassie can turtle all day and force Shang to come to her, which can br extremely tedious, and I don't even bother jumping in on her anymore at this point. This is a matchup I'll need a lot of help in, so if you guys have tips please leave them. I'm likely forgetting a move or doing something wrong.

Geras really sucks though. The overwhelming majority of it is just that Geras is so ridiculous though. Especially in Infinite Warden, since Shang can't trade with him or else he'll get Krushing Blow'd. I'll just need to get more experience fighting Geras though.
I also listed Geras but after doing sets vs Geras (Infinite Warden) I'm noticing its actually not that bad considering its a Geras. But I think it still is in his favor just not unwinable.

Its like Scorpion MU you just have to respect Low Sand all day and etch your way in to use staggers or +frames. But it is definitely a 6-4 in Geras favor from what I've encountered so far. You can't space out his Sand and up close he has better mids and everything leads to mix and insane KBs all day. But who knows I'm probably wrong it is early and most likely everyone is using Shang wrong in the matchup and there is definitely more tech to discover.

LawAbidingCitizen

I nominate the following Bad MUs (Disclaimer: its way to early to tell MUs so take it with a grain of salt)

Cassie (digital soldier)
Geras (Infinite Warden)
Cetrion (Spring Cleaning TP var)
Sonya (Ring Master & No holds)
Scorpion (Reborn & Searing Rage)
Jax (Hunker Down)

Cassie:
- has the close game dominated and her zoning destroys his. Her mud range is about even but she can loop pressure easy and his WU 2 isn't the best.

Geras:
- outzones anywhere with sand and has better range and mids. Everything is mix and leads to KB.

Cetrion:
- has teleport to punish everything on reaction. Her zoning is slightly better but she can unload on plus frames.

Sonya:
- better close up, better zoning, better damage, better KBs, better corner pressure and damage.

Scorpion:
- amazing shimmy, staggers, close up mid range and counter zones his zoning hard. Similar damage, better throws.

Jax:
- struggles full screen but if spaced right can lock down Shang. Great Staggers, good gap closers that become guess, great corner carry, amazing close up, better frames, great zoning once heated up and his thumper is the same startup as corpse drop. Better KBs and damage.

Everything can change but that's my early impressions so far.

I'd like to propose that the following can just be assumed unless someone starts testing and finding otherwise:

Default Bad Matchups:
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
Geras
Jaqui Briggs
Scorpion
Sonya Blade

Default Good Matchups:
D'Vorah
Frost
Kano
Kollector
Kotal Kahn

If any of these are untrue, THEN I'd suggest it's worth discussing.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I'd like to propose that the following can just be assumed unless someone starts testing and finding otherwise:

Default Bad Matchups:
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
Geras
Jaqui Briggs
Scorpion
Sonya Blade

Default Good Matchups:
D'Vorah
Frost
Kano
Kollector
Kotal Kahn

If any of these are untrue, THEN I'd suggest it's worth discussing.
It saddens me to see you destroying my thread's discussion like that, but you are not wrong.