What's new

MK11 SHANG TSUNG Discussion

just make the slide like subzero Kb slide... require 3 amps...n better startup..n lil more travel distance. i wouldnt mind that.

actually they can change F4 Kb requirement also...ive landed that Kb only once since he has been release in real match
Sorry if you know this already, but f243 KB and f4 KB are actually two requirements for the same KB. If you land f243 KB , you won’t be able to do f4 KB and the opposite is true as well. F243 KB is much more practical so just do that)

Sorry if you know this already, but f243 KB and f4 KB are actually two requirements for the same KB. If you land f243 KB , you won’t be able to do f4 KB and the opposite is true as well. F243 KB is much more practical so just do that)
thanks didnt know KB was shared between the two well that sucks...f243 is practical ofcourse

Careful, mentioning any of that gets you branded "a scrub" and that you should "LaB MoRe"

That said, I feel Rain Kick functions pretty how much it has to. It's safe-ish on block (-8 or -9 I think, but with good pushback), leads to his big 2-bar combos and the cancels are good to have if you use them sparringly.

Two things I'd like to see improved in this variation are increased base damage on lift, and the Rain Kick KB should give a free follow up at no meter cost. Seriously, it's rare enough to hit, the damage is ass, but you ALSO have to spend meter for a follow up? The lift KB also has meh damage but at least it gives you a free bounce.
I agree with what you're saying and will add shake needs to be faster. For what it is you can't react online to certain projectiles. It should start up way faster than it does.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I admittedly haven't been playing a ton, but when I do play I have been using Shang's 3rd variation since it's been released and just a day or two ago I started using Warlock again.

So far I don't really see the point of using variation 3 aside from just liking it more/personal preference type of thing. His pressure up close is a bit better I guess, and Smoke Shake is a great move but his lack of projectiles aside from straight fireball and not having oppressive pressure makes Smoke Shake not really that huge of a threat because you can still run away from Shang when you have a life lead.

I don't find myself landing F2 often so the better damage off those BnBs don't really seem to play a big factor. The Reptile slide mixup from B1 works often since most people are used to blocking the overhead, but that feels a bit gimmicky to me and I'm not sure if it's fuzzy blockable/reactable.

The issue I'm having with the variation is that I don't feel like it really covers his bad matchups. In theory it should work well against anyone trying to throw projectiles at him, but I find that often times if anyone has a decent life lead over him, they do not care about the smoke shake or straight fireball and can pretty easily get away from Shang. Losing the multi range ground skulls and corpse drop makes it even harder for him to make a comeback, which was already one of his weaknesses. Up close Shang is good but I don't think the 3rd variation makes him so much better that he should feel confident in having advantages over the strong pressure characters.

I'm not writing off the variation but those are my impressions so far after pretty much exclusively playing that variation since release.

They should take the meter usage to continue super kick away. For cancel sure make it be 1 defense bar, but for offense super kick should be standard without having to burn meter. It wouldn't break him at all and he would be able to be a semi threat in matches with damage that is somewhat competitive. Hes already hard enough to get big damage with. There is no reason for this to be one bar of offense. The problem with shang and damage output in soul stealer is players will likely break away every time you do a krushing blow and every time you start a combo with super kick or mb force lift depriving you of meter and denying you any real damage threatening pressure. Shang requires two full bars at all times to even be considered a threat. And if youve played this variation a lot youll know that is a rare case. removing the meter usage would balance this character so much better against the rest of the casts monsters imo. And speed up shake and tweak it a bit. More often than not it just doesnt seem to work when meter burned. The timing on burn is too strict and you should be able to delay the mb for it to be truly effective. attacks seem to eat through it all the time because it doesn't last long enough or for some reason just doesn't seem to trigger the parry and you eat a full combo.

Kotal is shang kryptonite... they buff him in areas that makes it very difficult to beat.
Long reaching mids
Hp boost
Healing
Totems
Hits hard

Nrs over buff him in my opinion.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Yo , ive beeen watching some foxy grandpa matches using shang . He does a lot walk up /dash up throw /114 . What stops other player from just mashing d2 ? it beats both options ? Ive tried to do it online and got d2 a lot

Zviko

Noob
Yo , ive beeen watching some foxy grandpa matches using shang . He does a lot walk up /dash up throw /114 . What stops other player from just mashing d2 ? it beats both options ? Ive tried to do it online and got d2 a lot
That's when you start using B3U4.

Zviko

Noob
thx , didnt think about it . And since b3 is10f low its a guess :D Or maybe better condition them first to block by using b3 and later start throw/11 guessing game .
Exactly. B3 also low profiles some U3 wake ups. It also catches everyone mashing after F242 string. Since you are +4 it becomes 6f low so it's guaranteed. The only way out for them is jumping but even that doesn't work unless they stand block the last hit.

U do realise that he is currently middle A tier , at best ?
i get that. but that dont change the fact that its a hard match up for shang. due to he can wait you out/ outzone you/ heal up/ kb counter fireball/ hits harder on combo /life lead/ buff def and attack

again this apply to very skilled players

"playing as soul eater shang"

i get that. but that dont change the fact that its a hard match up for shang. due to he can wait you out/ outzone you/ heal up/ kb counter fireball/ hits harder on combo /life lead/ buff def and attack

again this apply to very skilled players

"playing as soul eater shang"
Soul eater shang is currently worse then bad so that might be one of the reasons , KK might be a bad matchup aswell but to say that he is overbuffed ..... that my man is str8 up just a salt statement.

Soul eater shang is currently worse then bad so that might be one of the reasons , KK might be a bad matchup aswell but to say that he is overbuffed ..... that my man is str8 up just a salt statement.
nothing against kotal players...i just think that when they did buff him for the 2nd time...they didnt consider his already good tools.. adding buff that make too much of a synergy. example hp lead, def puff, healing.

ryublaze

Noob
You could dash up d3 or ground fireballs

nothing against kotal players...i just think that when they did buff him for the 2nd time...they didnt consider his already good tools.. adding buff that make too much of a synergy. example hp lead, def puff, healing.
Most of his 'good tools' are actualy rly hard to use, slow and full combo punishable . Hp lead is nice , but it wont matter if ur constantly under pressure from high tier characters (sonya,geras....). If KK gets def. totem out or sunlight or u get hit by unblockable , thats ur fault .

For the love of god NRS, just please buff the damage of the ninjas. The damage he gets for 2 bars makes a third of the cast just laugh him out of the game.

kcd117

Noob
A Brain. Shang has F2 and B1 to condition people to respect his dash up throw/114 game but when you play good people they are already conditioned to respect the options they know your character has. Regular online joe will try to mash out of everything and you’ll need to condition him not to first.

Kotal is shang kryptonite... they buff him in areas that makes it very difficult to beat.
Long reaching mids
Hp boost
Healing
Totems
Hits hard

Nrs over buff him in my opinion.
U do realise that he is currently middle A tier , at best ?
Kotal is a bad matchup and he is also top 10 at worst.

Hi!

I "discovered" (at least never saw it) something labbing last week Spellmaster variation.

If you use the soul vessel (DB2) in a combo, you just heal instead of releasing the vessel.

I don't think it's very useful, coz the recovery is very long, but I think it's interesting....

Last edited:

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
I thought f243 kb was activated on a punish/ counter and f4 was its own kb activated by specifically punishing a roll? I wanna try this out when I get off work.